Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Neck and back surgery????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Neck and back surgery????????

I am looking at having at least neck surgery and possible back surgery finally after about 7 years of dealing with the headaches pain and the past 2+ years it has been getting to where at times I can't hardly walk at times. I know they are 2 different things and my neck causes my arms to go numb shoulders to hurt and my arms along with a long list of stuff but especially daily headaches some A LOT worse than others. My lower back hurts constantly now and I limp a good bit from it and at times I can barely walk. I scared the crap out of some people at the store one day cause I was hurting and my legs went out.

My question is has anybody here had any of neck back or spine surgery done and what can I expect? I know what the Dr says but from past experience that rarely goes the way they say. Thanks for any help.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: Neck and back surgery????????

I had a fusion surgery done in my neck for an extruded disk.
It was bad, to the point if I rode in the car to the Dr. I spent the rest of night laying in bed crying from the pain. I've been in a few motorcycle accidents losing all the skin on my forearms and down to the bone on one elbow... this pain was way worse.

After the surgery, I was fine.
If given the option, go with the prostitic disk instead of fusion.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have a plate in my neck on C5,6 &7. My spinal cord was shaped like a horse shoe. They couldn't believe I was still walking with that much spinal compression. Arms would go numb, always had head & neck aches. And I would randomly drop stuff from my right had if I wasn't holding tight enough.
About 5 yrs after I had the plate put in, I had a bad rear end accident from a texting twit, my neck came out just fine and they said it probably helped having the plate. I don't even notice it anymore or feel i have lack of movement;, As far as the neck thing goes, I say go for it, you'll live better after about a year or 2.
The back ,,,,,,, different story. I have 2 fractures in the low back get bother me if I stand too long or when the weather changes for the worse. Since it's the lowest vertibra, forget surgery, I use an inversion table and it does wonders for me. Unless the disks are totally trashed, think about your options, and/or alternative therapy. (like inversion) I got mine off the bay for I think $130 something shipped. It was WORTH the risk to see if it would help. I also quit seeing a chiropractor after I started using it. I'm a believer in it's benefits.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
~THE SCALE SHOP~

can you guys go into more detail on your headaches. where is the pain? do you have it 24 hours a day everyday?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Thanks for the replies and it all seems to resemble mine.

As far as the headaches mine seem to start in the upper part of my back go up into my neck and into my head which the Dr told me was due to the discs being almost gone and being out of line with each other. They last 24/7 and some days are a lost worse than others. I have had them bad enough that I couldn't see straight didn't want any light no sound tv or anything.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Scale Detail Engineering

I didn't get headaches but a really stiff neck at least once a month.
I'd wake up in the morning all f#@ked up and couldn't turn my head... that got worse & worse over the years till some days I couldn't stand to be in a car or on the train to work.
Then, if I lifted my right arm my fingers would start to tingle.
If I kept my arm up it'd go numb starting at my finger tips and just work it's way up.

Then, I woke up Dec 15th 3 years ago and instantly knew something was different.
I still went to work and was hurting but it was our Christmas party so I stayed... got pretty drunk to take the edge off. Was great till I had to ride the train home for 50 mins.
I missed a month and a half of work starting that day.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
Scale Detail Engineering

But, that's what got me into crawling!
I wanted to try it out so built a CrawlerX Micro, then a Dinky MRC and then my SCX10, Buxom Melons.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I had a disceptomy on my L4 L5 2 years ago. I had a severely bulging disc. The surgery made a huge difference for me. Within the last month we have gotten some pretty severe cold weather and I am getting more aches and pains. So I am having to do more of my back exercises. During this last spring/summer I was riding my road bike 75 to 150 miles a week and felt great! The cold weather sucks! Anyone else exerience more issues in the colder seasons?
RPP Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
But, that's what got me into crawling!
I wanted to try it out so built a CrawlerX Micro, then a Dinky MRC and then my SCX10, Buxom Melons.
My neck and back is what got me into the rc crawling. I did have real 1:1 crawlers 1 on 40's 1 on 37's and 1 on 33's and both of the ones with bigger tires were more chevy than jeep basically a stretched jeep body was the only thing jeep on the 1 with 40's. I had to get rid of them since it is a issue just to drive the regular car to the store without the beatin and bangin. I miss them daily and miss working on them since I did most of the building on them.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by craddock35 View Post
My neck and back is what got me into the rc crawling. I did have real 1:1 crawlers 1 on 40's 1 on 37's and 1 on 33's and both of the ones with bigger tires were more chevy than jeep basically a stretched jeep body was the only thing jeep on the 1 with 40's. I had to get rid of them since it is a issue just to drive the regular car to the store without the beatin and bangin. I miss them daily and miss working on them since I did most of the building on them.

I"m in the same boat. I've got my mechanic finishing the last of my 1ton comp cut N stroked, YJ, just so it can be sold. Not so much from the neck/plate thing as it is from the back injury but you get the point. The Jeep was to be my daughters and me bonding, family fun adventure thing.
Now we play Wii. Wii, sucks!!

My headaches started at the back of the head and a LOT at my eyes. light really hurt them most of the time. Waking up stiff and sore was a daily thing.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote

Neck and back surgery???????? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Out of surgery neillarson Chit Chat 8 02-12-2013 01:23 PM
You might be a Red Neck if...... Oso787 Chit Chat 35 09-18-2012 07:47 PM
Surgery hende Chit Chat 13 07-25-2010 05:44 PM
Just got out of surgery... DeaDShorT Chit Chat 26 01-03-2008 11:14 AM