Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: gift for wife, Canon 60D or the 70D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default gift for wife, Canon 60D or the 70D

No clue! The magnesium body would be nice on the 70D (polycarb for the 60D.

Anyone here with any of these canons?
wrx-n-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: gift for wife, Canon 60D or the 70D

Honestly I had a Canon and hated it 60D. Id get 30 pictures out of battery if I was lucky. I decided to save up and buy a Nikon D7100. Its a worlds difference. It all comes down to wether you want a professional style camera or something for the holidays and vacations.

Last edited by puddin; 12-17-2013 at 08:18 PM.
puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

Ask Turtle. Some of the best pictures taken here are by him, and I believe he's a Canon guy.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

how about just double D's........
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Nikon.....nothing else comes up to par
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
Donkey Punch Champion!

Dpreview. Com

Your welcome.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I had a canon 60D and was able to get way more pictures out of it than 30 lol. Saturday night I was out with my Canon 6d and shot off 500 pics and was nearing the end of my battery, I was shooting a corporate holiday party. The 60D and 6D share the exact same battery. I've been using Canon since 2008 and because of my investment in the glass(lenses) I have stuck with Canon ever since. Both Nikkon and Canon are outstanding cameras. But if your just looking at what the body is made of I'd suggest going back and researching more. The 60D is a great camera and it's by far way less expensive than the 70D. If I were to start all over again id still get a canon. You really have to ask yourself what your wife is going to use the camera for. If she doesn't really like messing with electronics and would probably hate the idea of changes lenses to get different focal lengths, then perhaps a point and shoot camera might be best. I'll be honest, the reason I left crawling was because I got into photography, but it does have it's learning curve. It can also get expensive very fast. If I was in the market today with those two choices of cameras I would get the 70D body only and get the canon 24-105mm lens. That lens will offer her more versatility and will save you the trouble of having to buy the budget lenses such as the most common 18-55mm lens and 55-250mm lens.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
nmanuel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #8
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddin View Post
Honestly I had a Canon and hated it 60D. Id get 30 pictures out of battery if I was lucky. I decided to save up and buy a Nikon D7100. Its a worlds difference. It all comes down to wether you want a professional style camera or something for the holidays and vacations.
How long did you look at the LCD screen before and after each shot?

I shoot primarily with a Canon 7D and get something like 2000 photos out of a battery maybe more, maybe less, it all depends on if you use the LCD screen a lot. I have been shooting canon since 1999 and would not use anything else. I have had several friends convert from Nikon to Canon because the interface and CMOS sensors in Canon give better color and usability. So much so that Nikon abandoned their old sensors and went to what Canon uses. Canon really is the best option out their, look at professional events and photographers 99% of them use Canon and with good reason.

I know tech has changed (and quickly) and there are some people that will argue for the side of Nikon, whether it be personal preference or other. I don't really come from a consumers point of view when it comes to photography tech, I don't use auto functions and never really have, I seldom use the LCD screen, except checking exposures in the histogram. So although I can say that Canon has the photographic market cornered I say it from a professional point of view.

As for the 60D and 70D, I honestly have not looked at the 70 yet, but looked over the specs and some reviews on the 60D a couple of months ago and was impressed with most of the specs.

As for what the body is made out of, as long as it isn't glass I wouldn't put to much weight into it. Look at weather sealing, frame rates, ISO abilities, memory card selections, sensor resolution, shooting modes and ease of function.

Depending on what you want to do with the camera, you maybe better off with a point and shoot. But if a DSLR is really what you need, more importantly then the camera is the glass you use. That is the primary influence on the quality of your photos. 'If you buy cheap lenses you get cheap photos".

Oh and don't worry about having a 20 megapixel camera or something ridiculous like that. If your not planning on making billboard size prints 8MP is plenty, assuming they even make cameras with that small amount anymore.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Everything Turtle said.

I have a 60D and honestly wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm not sure, and you should probably do some research, but I don't think anything less than the 5D has the weatherproofing.

All that said, in my work, the camera, computer, software is just a tool. It's the operator using it that brings the art to it.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
No idea what I'm doing

I bought my girlfriend a Nikon point and shoot about a year ago. It took terrible pictures so I brought it back and exchanged it for a Canon...problem solved.

I have a Nikon D5000 which I really like, but I honestly wished I had done more homework when I bought it. When I buy another DSLR, I will definitely do more research, and will be looking heavily at Canon.

Do your homework!
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I got myself a T3(1100D) sub $500 because I wanted to step up to a DLSR from a point-n-shoot, but didn't want to drop $1k on just the body for the learning curve.

It does what I need it to do, and dam sure better than a point-n-shoot.

But as I learn, and figure out what I want in the way of lenses, I'm spending the cash now on good glass. Can always upgrade the body later.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I was half asleep when I posted the original post so I kept it very short! The only reason I thought about dropping the extra coin on the 70D was because of the touch screen LCD and the higher speed shutter which I assume would be a little better for action shots. My wife is fairly experienced with photography, she is even currently enrolled in an online course from a community collage. She has even photographed 3 peoples weddings as favors, and got a lot of compliments! I got her a canon Rebel DSLR about 6 or 7 years ago but that thing is just plain beat and outdated. She would never notice the difference in body material, I just thought the magnesium was cool!

Along with the 60D body I am planning on getting a canon EF 50mm 1.4 lense with it. So roughly $1000 for the combo.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Ok she she is familiar with a dslr, so then I think it's a great gift. Check out this site, it's like my new rcc.

Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin

I had the 60D with the 50mm and it was an awesome set up. For about a grand I'm assuming your getting the 50mm 1.4. That's a cool little lens for the price. If you shop around you can get that set up cheaper. I ended up trading that lens for a 70-200mm mkii plus cash. If you shop around you might be able to get her the 40mm pancake lens. That's a very cool lens, sharp and quiet! Check out that site, the for sale section is worth the wait. People buy body and lens kits and sell the lens sometimes to save on the body. Look at Canons refurb site and look into the canon loyalty program. Basically it's that of you have an older eligible canon camera you get an additional 15% from the refurb prices. They also include a year of warranty with them now. People have been known to get cameras with only 100 shots on the shutter. That's basically brand new! I wish I had all this info a few years ago, I could have saved lots of money! Whoops just realized your exact lens combo was listed sorry.

Not sure if it's still the same but bh photo video is tax free and free shipping. That alone would be enough for the 40mm pancake lens! Also as far as the loyalty program, you could buy a cheap broken canon cam on eBay for very cheap to turn in.

Save up to 40% on select Refurbished EOS Digital SLR Cameras | Canon Online Store

Last edited by nmanuel01; 12-18-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
How long did you look at the LCD screen before and after each shot?

:
Not as much as you'd think with the power consumption. I like to use the veiw finder. Coming from a old flim camera its just natural. I'm sure it could have been fixed with a warranty. I was just so pissed that it was new camera and had issues from the start. I guess it just me believing if I drop over a grand for a camera it shouldn't have problems.
puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I also don't know how much more time I can think about it! Xmas is creeping right up and if I need to get it shipped I should probably order tomorrow. Was thinking about amazon maybe?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Amazon is good just make sure it's not a Grey Market Camera. Make sure it's an authorized USA seller, or else canon won't touch it, if it messes up. I'd personally stick to BH and Adorama. Call they up, they might price match amazon. I know best price matches Bh Photo Video, I've done that before.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I know nothing about it what so ever.
My mother is a photog , she takes pics for the state of alabama , a few mags. and churches used to do weddings.
The smoking hot chick here at work that does weddings and portriats , both of them have a cannon 50d .
I have heard my mother say to nerver buy anything but a cannon ,, like ever , even point and shoot .
There is my two cents , take it for what it is worth two cents.
alabamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:27 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

ok sorry, just asked the hot chick I work with , she says my mother has a 60d that she uses now to shoot with , they both also have a 50d . Makes sense I guess , I know my mom has been going on and on about her NEW camera . it is the 60d. She is not a fan of digital , but had no choice with the med. format being dead and all.

Last edited by alabamaman; 12-19-2013 at 06:34 AM. Reason: spelling
alabamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

I've been a long time fan of nikon, but after extensive research and speaking with those in the "know", I purchased a 70d over the nikon d7100. Main reason for me was the new dual CMOS autofocus. 60d, you'll have to manual focus during video, 70d has the autofocus feature during live video recording. Since I predominantly use the camera to capture kid moments and soccer games (I'm at the field daily with kids, AYSO n all-stars n school team), this was the feature most important to me right now. Otherwise, for pure image quality in photographs, and not so much emphasis in videos, I'd say the nikon d7100. Oh, and another thing, the 60d is actually a few years old now. I'd go with newer technology. ( I also purchased an 18-135mm STM canon lens, it's super quiet stepped motor lens vs the USM. Also picked up a Tamron 70-300 pzm tele as we'll.)
sixtyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I'm going to stick with canon so she can still use the lenses she already has.

gift for wife, Canon 60D or the 70D - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The perfect gift for your wife..... Kamikaze Chit Chat 12 01-03-2010 11:05 PM
Canon S2 IS Anyone have one? Toolman Chit Chat 11 01-18-2006 05:44 PM
Things my wife says compared to things Badgers wife says. jason Chit Chat 16 05-20-2005 09:35 AM