Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Need some MX advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2006, 10:44 PM   #21

Quote:
That is totally wrong 4 strokes are very low maintenance.
CRAWLERLIFEFORME is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2006, 10:47 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Now 2 strokes and 4 strokes even out price wise when coming to maintenance. Yes 4-strokes can be very expensive to have worked on, but you rarely have to work on them. 2 strokes need clutch baskets replaced and topends replace about every month if you're an avid rider.
86chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

As far as upkeep 2 stroke is the way to go like Crawlerlife says. Watch out buying a used raced 4 stroke, they are notorious for very expensive top end repairs due to over-revving. You can ruin a cylinder, piston and head on a 2 stroke and thats all you've got to replace along with a set of rings. Do the same to a 4 stroke and your also talking about an expensive head, possibly cams, valves, valve springs, cam chain, and labor to do it unless you can. That can be $600+ depending on what you need and who does it. Comparitively 2 strokes are cheaper in the long run and you'll still be able to get parts for them for years. Not saying don't get a 4 stroke, just look and listen really good to anything you consider buying. They can be reliable too.
Squid121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:54 PM   #24

86 chevy-maybe if u are travis pastrana. now if u run your bike on the verge of to lean to get optimum power.then maybe yes every month or two if u race. but come on i already said that that cr500 has a piston and ring thats 16 years old and will always start cold on the 3rd kick. a month is rediculous buddy u talk to any magazine or anybody who knows something about bikes and they will tell you that a 4 stroke needs WAY more maintnence than a 2 stroke.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:59 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevy
Now 2 strokes and 4 strokes even out price wise when coming to maintenance. Yes 4-strokes can be very expensive to have worked on, but you rarely have to work on them. 2 strokes need clutch baskets replaced and topends replace about every month if you're an avid rider.
I have a friend that races every Sat. at a local track and practices throughout the week three or four nights and has been doing so for a few years. He refreshes his motors once a year, just takes care of them, clean air filters and proper jetting. He has a Yamaha YZ250 and 125 and he doesn't take it easy in the races on them either.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:02 PM   #26

squid is right. he knows what hes talking about i can just tell...

also a 4 stroke may have more torque and all that but..if u can ride a 2 stroke fast u can ride any 4 stroke. people get lazy on 4 strokes. a 2 stroke is for me and alot of people more fun to ride. it keeps u on your feet more.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:06 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLERLIFEFORME
squid is right. he knows what hes talking about i can just tell...

also a 4 stroke may have more torque and all that but..if u can ride a 2 stroke fast u can ride any 4 stroke. people get lazy on 4 strokes. a 2 stroke is for me and alot of people more fun to ride. it keeps u on your feet more.
^^^What he said^^^
Old 11-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Franky buy a old xr650 and be done with it allready you cant beat them for the price and parts are plenty for them.I dont give a flying crap what the 12 year olds on here have to say a 4 stroke is far more reliable if it isnt abused.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:32 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by syco133
Franky buy a old xr650 and be done with it allready you cant beat them for the price and parts are plenty for them.I dont give a flying crap what the 12 year olds on here have to say a 4 stroke is far more reliable if it isnt abused.
That is absolutely true, they are very good bikes. All I said was make sure to look it over very well before buying, but you can get a very good four stroke at a reasonable price that will last a long time. Do your homework before the purchase.
I'm not 12, I'm 35 and I've ridden and raced dirtbikes for 20+ years, and roadraced Superbikes for 10 years and counting. I know a little and have my views on the subject. Why do you think I originally recommended a four stroke Suzuki DR 350? Because based on what he said that would be a very good bike for how he will use it.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:20 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

You guys are comparing apples to oranges to bananas.

Yes, an older XR will need the least maintanace, just clean air & oil. that's all it wants. A 2 smoke will need a little more, maybe rings every 6 months, rings & piston every year. Then a modern MX 4 stroke will need the most maintanace, all of which is stated above.

ALL will need plug, clutch, basket, cables, brake pads, etc....all to be expected.

Franky, for you, I'd say just go with the YZ250. If it's used, it's much cheaper to freshen up.

I had 3 CR250's, I learned on a 250, it's all I ever knew. 'Till I got a CRF.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:36 AM   #31
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by syco133
The last thing you want is a pig like an XR650. DTP and Squid are right. A modern 4 stroke requires alot more maint. Way diff. than the old low rev air cooled 4 strokes. A used 2 stroke 250 would be the way for you to go. Hell you can freshen a 2 stroke in about an hour. Try that with a modern 4-stroke. Trust me I know from 1st hand exp.

This is coming from someone who races moto-x, hare scrambles, and enduro's. And have owned an XR200, XR350, CR125, CR250, KX250, Husaberg 500, ATK 406(a monster), and currently race my CRF450, and CR250.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:14 AM   #32
TEAM RCC

Taking into account your riding experience I would not go out and buy a new 450 four stroke. These bikes have mad power and if you dont know how to handle them they will hurt you. The bike you choose is totally depent on your intended type of riding. I agree with DTB that you should start out with a used 250 and then move up to a 450 when you have a little more riding time. When you do nothing beats a HONDA!
CRF450R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:15 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Well I really thank everyone for their input. I am going to look at a couple 250's and go from there. I will post up pics of what I find.

Just curious on the 2 strokes do they run mixed gas or do they have oil injection?
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:27 AM   #34
TEAM RCC

Modern two strokes run on a oil and gas mixture. This is why they burn dirty and pollute the air. YZ 250 has very strong motor CR has good motor but top of the line suspension and handling. Good luck!

Last edited by CRF450R; 11-06-2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:49 AM   #35
RCC Addict

If I was you, I'd go for the YZ250, or that 426. The Yamaha's race 4 strokes lead the pack in reliability, and unless you ride race pace 24/7, you get alot more than the 50 or so hours most people say you do. I'd look for a WR unless you're only doing motocross, lighting is a big advantage in off road. I would shy away from a CR250 until the most recent years, the whole CR line started lacking bottom end in the late 80's, they weren't and still aren't as rideable as an RM or YZ. The key to getting anything to last is not ride the god damn rev limiter, that's not how you're supposed to ride, I don't know who told all these kids on new 4 strokes that's the way to do it, cause they all do, then complain when their 6 month old 250F needs everything from the crank up.

Last edited by Trike Kid; 11-06-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:05 AM   #36
TEAM RCC

Kids what are you talking about you are 16
Old 11-06-2006, 09:56 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRF450R
Kids what are you talking about you are 16
So being 16 means something? I've been riding long enough to know my way around a bike.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #38
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

I can give you some perspective from myself and two friends. I’d been off bikes for about 8 years when I decided to buy another for trail riding about 2 ½ years ago. I thought I would get another 2-stroke 250 but had the chance to try out a WR426. I was hooked and bought it. The bike pulled like a tractor but had nice hi-rev zip as well. We ride mostly desert…hills, canyons, rocky washes, flat & twisty roads, etc....along with some desert/forest single-track. The one thing I found with the 426 was it was just a bit too heavy for me (especially in the technical stuff) and more power than I really needed, me weighing about 140 lbs. I swapped to a 2003 YZ250f and completely love the bike for what we do. It’s light, quick and can even scoot me around the dunes without problem.

A buddy of mine who is taller and heavier had a nice XR650. It was fast and stable but overly heavy, and the suspension was a bit dated. He now has a 2004 WR450 and likes it a lot better. The bike doesn’t wear him out like the big Honda did.

Another friend bought his first bike about two years ago (DRZ400) and it has been a great bike for him to learn on, but he’ll be swapping up to a WR450 or equivalent KTM in the near future (both bikes being lighter, having better suspension, and more power).

If you’ve never ridden one, I’d certainly try a performance 4-stroke. I was skeptical at first, but completely love the bikes now. Maintenance is not a big deal if you’re not racing or over-revving the bike. Granted though….something like an XR or DRZ will be the most bulletproof and least maintenance

Jay

Last edited by roktoy; 11-06-2006 at 04:30 PM.
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:52 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trike Kid
The key to getting anything to last is not ride the god damn rev limiter,
Partially true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trike Kid
that's not how you're supposed to ride, I don't know who told all these kids on new 4 strokes that's the way to do it.
Ever been to a SX? I've been to the last 2 Vegas SX's & the Lites class is just like that. So, I guess they learn from the pros.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #40

btp is right u watch ryan villapoto ride and he is just wide open constently on the rev limiter.

FRANKY RIZO- i also have another suggestion. if it is a 250 u are still looking for get one with a pipe. this being because it will fill in all the gaps a stock bike's powerband has. such as the hondas. yes a pipe makes a bike faster but at the same time makes it more controlable and smooth. and will add torque everywere in the powerband.