Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Sound bars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Sound bars

Think about replaceing my old Dennon/Klipsh suround system for something a bit more modern. We just did a major remodel to the living room and it is time for a change in the entertainment area.

I dont listen to my music at ear bleed levels anymore. The old system is big and bulky even though they are "bookshelf" speakers.

I would like the ability to tap my tablet into the system to stream and play my music.

What other options are out there, looking for a bit of advice on the do's and dont's so to speak. I dont need the best of the best but at the same time I am not shopping for the lowest price either.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Sound bars

if you want wireless streaming from a device there are quite a few out there..might be more than your price point(most contain a good dac)..my bud just bought a cambridge streammagic dac, look on ebay under wireless dac and you will get an idea whats out there..most are 2 channel though
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

If your going to replace the speakers may I suggest staying with klipsch,some of the best sounding speakers I've heard for my level of music listening-Of course there's way more expensive speakers but then your talking about breaking the bank.

Dennon is also a good reciever,onkyo is another.

I have a onkyo reciever with klipsch WF-35 Icon-W series towers with center speaker and two old klipsch shelf speakers with a 12" BIC America sub and it will literally shake my entire house lol..sound is crisp and clear.

Let us know what you decide to go with? Any pics of the old stuff?
GREEDY GENIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

Soundbars are beyond my comprehension honestly. Are they just center channels renamed to try to sell more center channels or are they attempting to replace an entire stereo or home theater set up? Safe to assume full range I suppose?

I would spend a lot of time researching brands that are not at stores like Best Buy and Target or Walmart. I know those are priced too high for comparable sound quality. I'm drawing a blank on some names right now but when I remember I'll post up again.

Try Crutchfield.com maybe AudioAdvisor.com. Maybe the forum Audiogon, that's like audio Mecca.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Soundbars are beyond my comprehension honestly. Are they just center channels renamed to try to sell more center channels or are they attempting to replace an entire stereo or home theater set up? Safe to assume full range I suppose?

I would spend a lot of time researching brands that are not at stores like Best Buy and Target or Walmart. I know those are priced too high for comparable sound quality. I'm drawing a blank on some names right now but when I remember I'll post up again.

Try Crutchfield.com maybe AudioAdvisor.com. Maybe the forum Audiogon, that's like audio Mecca.
There's a best buy a few towns over from me that actually carry some high end home audio stuff....I mean yeah they carry the usual klipsch,Polk audio and Bose but they have a sound room way in the back that actually has KEF,ENERGY,BOWERS&WILKINS,DEFINITE TECHNOLOGY & PARADIGM MONITOR along with few others....they have a set of BOWERS&WILKINS towers for like $4k...they really have some nice stuff but it's the only best buy that I've seen carry those brands,It's in a pretty rich part of town so maybe that's why they carry those brands?
GREEDY GENIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

Ah yeah, I kinda dodged the Magnolia part of Best Buy because they're very rare, but they do indeed carry some nicer things. So hotwheels000, if your Best Buy has a Magnolia in it, it wouldn't hurt to check that out.

By the way, it's Denon. ;)
Old 04-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I was wondering if that might be a good way to go now also. Can't crank it any more without the Sheriffs at my door.
I relay on user reviews. Something at Fry's or Best Buy you like look it up here Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More!. You'll be able to spot the dumb asses that give a bad review because they didn't know how to use the product.
drywallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #8
MODERATOR™

Hah! Soundbars are hilarious! Dr. Bose is probably rolling over in his grave saying, I told you people this was the shit 30 years ago!

I don't like it.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
5th D Owner/Driver

I've yet to hear a sound bar that even comes close to a nice separate speaker and receiver set. Maybe just upgrading the receiver is all you need unless your looking to down size the equipment. Having said that, most Best Buy stores around us have the high end Magnolia stores in them. Try listening to a few and see if they might come close to what your replacing.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the replies, I spent some time online researching and that led to more questions... Ended up up at Frys in the rooms listening to a few options and decided real quick a typical sound bar wouldnt even come close to what I wanted if I were to replace my system.

I am now thinking a sound stand ( I think that is what they are called) to supplement the tv speakers and connect BT to and threw for the music. This style has the speakers and a small sub enclosed in a slim case the tv would sit on top off. Keeping the Dennon/Klipsch for movies and the rare times I feel the need to rattle the roof.

I really liked the onkyo ls t10 better than the others I listened to. http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...EnvisionCinema

Any body have experience with this type of " sound bar" ? And or recomendations.

Last edited by hotwheels000; 04-18-2014 at 11:54 PM.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #11
Trying to have Fun Again

Hey Devlin look at Sonos. They make a sound bar and wireless subs and speakers. Plus gives you internet radio and Pandora and is controlled from phone or tablet.
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sound bars - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New light bars!! Look rc crawler boy Axial Wraith 2 06-24-2013 08:17 PM
Torsion bars droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 03-29-2010 06:27 PM
***---Stars and Bars---*** Mic EnRoute Berg 4 07-02-2008 01:51 PM
Stars and Bars Mic Paint and Body 12 06-19-2008 01:12 PM