Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: USRCCA under new ownership

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default USRCCA under new ownership

It is time to officially announce that I have purchased the USRCCA and will take over operations after 2014 Worlds ends! We have all seen a general decline in the competition scene over the past years, and the conditions were right for me to step up and put fresh action in the right directions.

First and foremost, we have started the R/C Off Road Vehicle Association. RC Orva is being created to bring together off road truck events, and to keep the series points for all who join. The website of RC Orva will allow sanctioned clubs and hosts to create events and sell tickets, while providing scoresheets for printing or web based scoring which automatically update the season standings. Each event creation will trigger news releases and schedule on the calender and map system, so people can search for local events or events by date easily. Basically like EventBrite on steroids just for us, with a lot of extra media integration

Additional to the USRCCA rules, we will have FOFF and U4RC classes available for hosts to run at RC ORVA events. We are waiting for responses from a few other "rules sets" in hopes that people could host anything they choose and use our site to organize and promote the event. Instead of limiting people, we want to let people pick and choose from a variety of classes to host in their location.

We should have the basic site running within a few weeks and will have the majority of features ready to roll out in 6 weeks. I look forwards to the new direction and what we can make happen moving forwards!

John Holmes

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 07-27-2014 at 12:00 PM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: USRCCA under new ownership

Awesome! Congrats John!!
ROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
RCC Addict

How will this effect the traditional comp season? Will sanctioned clubs be required to go through Orva as part of their points series for the national invites etc...
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #4

ORVA will handle the series points. Nothing will change about the traditional usrcca season and club system, except the ability to easily track points and standings.

This does mean that clubs will go through ORVA to create events and upload scores.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Holmes Hobbies

Congrats John and good luck.
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
RCC Addict

That sounds great thanks and congrats
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #7

Thanks guys, it really means a lot to have all the positive support. Everybody is pretty excited to hear things are changing!

To make this work, we have to bring the membership together in an organized way. RC ORVA's job is to create the consistent media push on one side, while helping people host events on the back side. Competitors have to be a member of RC ORVA in order to take part in a points series, be it USRCCA classes or others. Membership dues will range from $15 to $35 for a year, each member will receive a card or name badge and unique driver number. At each event that charges a ticket price other than free, there will be a few dollars per competitor added into the ticket cost. These dues will go directly to create and maintain the website and databases, partnering with media and manufacturers, and ensuring that we have staff to keep it all running smoothly 24/7.

It really isn't any different than any other type of RC competition series or organizing body, with the exception that we have a fetish for solid axles
Old 07-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

John, all personal indifferences aside(past, present, future) I hope this works out for you as well the rest of us. A question or two and please nothing I say is personal or negative.
First, with your workload and personal life can you take on the extra load of the organization? To get it back to where it needs to be is gonna take many hours and days of work and communication. Plus it's gonna take some thick skin to get through a lot of bs that's gonna come with the new role. Working with various event planners should not be to hard as most have their area covered. They just help from the mothership.

Second, what about the rules committee structuring? Gonna stay the same or are we gonna try to get some more active people involved. I know a lot of the existing and consider myself friends with them but they have been relatively dormant lately. Mostly because they simply just moved on with life or can't commit to it like before. There is a many currently active guys that could fill in some dead spots. This area is the core of crawling and needs to be dealt with first.

Third,(again nothing negative) being a sponsor like you are, and much appreciated for stepping up, do you feel it will ever be a factor in decision making?

In the end I hope this crawling thing crawling thing grows big time with the new ideas and plans you are working on. This stuff is a big part of my life since 08 because I have made many new friends and seen a lot of new places. The decline has been painful. Need any help I'm around here bout 20 hours a day
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You can't even imagine how excited I am for this change of ownership. Ever since I saw this mentioned before in less detail I have had renewed confidence in the health and longevity of our sport. Now with the extra details I'm more optimistic than ever! Thank you for stepping up and making the purchase. I couldn't think of anyone I would rather have take charge. Our sport is one with an incredible fun factor and I know you can help expose it to the masses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post

Additional to the USRCCA rules, we will have FOFF and U4 classes available for hosts to run at RC ORVA events. We are waiting for responses from a few other "rules sets" in hopes that people could host anything they choose and use our site to organize and promote the event. Instead of limiting people, we want to let people pick and choose from a variety of classes to host in their location.
Can we PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE have a Mega Truck Racing Series? Over the next year there will be FULL aftermarket support for scale mega truck racing and even without this there are already people building trucks, setting up races and points series. Its even getting coverage by Big Squid. Adding it to RC ORVA will not only increase the health of the "MTRS" (Mega Truck Racing Series) but since the MTRS can easily be held at hobby shops (increasing exposure to people who aren't traditionally straight axle enthusiasts) it will also increase exposure to RC ORVA.

If this can happen I would greatly appreciate your consideration in having me on the MTRS rules committee.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Change is needed in a positive fun manner. I believe it always starts out this way. So in this fashion I look forward to up and coming changes.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Thank you for stepping up to take this on John
Looking forward to new, positive changes and more fun
Let us know if we can help.
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #12

Right now I am a serial business offender I have Holmes Hobbies, Holmes Motion control, USRCCA/ORVA, another company in an unrelated industry, and we are shutting down Volt Riders. What I have been fortunate enough to learn is how to manage and delegate work activities. A large part of running the organization will be managed through the website database. The rest will have professionals hired to get it done if I am not. We are almost two weeks into coding of the website. I just made the plans for it, a professional designer is executing it for me. As I age, my life is getting streamlined and I am able to take on widened responsibilities without actually working more. Call me just the figurehead on the news, the ORVA will be it's own thing that evolves without my micromanaging.

USRCCA Rules committee structure will be changed completely. We already have a damn solid ruleset for the core USRCCA classes that doesn't need much if any work. I am creating a small group that will focus on new classes and old clarifications, while the current rules committee will become a group of gurus to help with details of events in general.

Holmes Hobbies is a separate entity from RC ORVA. We will have the same sponsor structure as everybody else. I'm not going to let HH feed from ORVA or have special treatment, it would just be short changing ORVA in the long run. The Off Road Vehicle Association needs to stand on it's own as an organizing body and work to help the hobbiest win in the end.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ View Post
Second, what about the rules committee structuring? Gonna stay the same or are we gonna try to get some more active people involved. I know a lot of the existing and consider myself friends with them but they have been relatively dormant lately. Mostly because they simply just moved on with life or can't commit to it like before. There is a many currently active guys that could fill in some dead spots. This area is the core of crawling and needs to be dealt with first.
I hope the majority of the new organization is made up active guys that actually make things happen. There are too many idea guys that want someone else to do there bidding. No matter how wonderful the infrastructure JRH creates crawling won't survive without event organizers (local, regional, & national) and judges (local, regional, & national)

Too many people wait for others to step up. There are plenty of things anyone can do without the blessing of a committee, organization, or sponsor.

Crawling needs leaders that don't need to be asked to do something, and can create on their own projects.

BTW.....I just retiring from leading the organization....not from crawling

Last edited by Fishmaxx; 07-26-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the reply JRH.
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #15
5th D Owner/Driver

Congrats John and I wish you all the luck as the main man in the USRCCA!
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Congrats John..
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Here's to the future, let me know if I can help.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I clicked "like"!
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

John,
Known you when Holmes Hobbies was just Holmes Hobby. LOL

When you commit to something, you stick with it. I hope that you can get people to buy into your vision. It's the only way this portion of the hobby is going to move forward.

Looking forward to seeing the development of RC ORVA.

Congrats my friend.

John
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:36 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

I am happy to see this coming into the hands of someone who is invested in the hobby in many ways

Maybe we can get some better scale class rules?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote

USRCCA under new ownership - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RCC's USRCCA Nationals Instagram and Facebook #usrcca feed badger Past Events 1 09-07-2013 12:05 PM
Big Boys Toys is under new ownership bigboystoysnm New Mexico 10 06-01-2011 05:06 PM