Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Boom Racing parts???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2015, 07:39 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Boom Racing parts???

So are these any good or are they crapola? I'm seeing these pop up and they appear to be of good quality but then again I am just seeing pics of the parts and no reviews. What say the hive mind?
RABIDFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Boom Racing parts???

Cheap alternative. Buyed over asiatees it comes with lifetime garantie. Belongs to the GPM/TOPCAD/FLYSKY/HOBBYWING consortium in HongKong.
corefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:21 PM   #3

I've got a few of the parts. Got the lock outs,knuckles,carriers,and shock tower. I beat the cap out of my yeti and haven't had any problems. I would stay away from the steering and links though.
95yjsahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:11 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by corefire View Post
Cheap alternative. Buyed over asiatees it comes with lifetime garantie. Belongs to the GPM/TOPCAD/FLYSKY/HOBBYWING consortium in HongKong.

I agree with the above, though have not tried them personally, but have always had a hit or miss experience with GPM, but leaning towards miss. Have a set of their yeti knuckles, and the overall look was good, one fit perfectly and one required a bit of dremmel/file work to fit the carriers. That alone is not a sentence of death, but it is certainly a red flag About their quality control. Considering they are most likely made on a CNC milling center...that does make me worry.

Mostly though my gripe has always been the strength of the alloy they use. In the past I have had shock towers for my minis bend and stress crack in odd places and much too easily. At least compared to even HR that I think is also a Chinese import, but have had very good luck with their products on the same trucks...

I dunno if that helps at all, but "cheap alternative" is not always a good alternative, but often enough to keep a following, cheap and quality can go hand in hand.
Rockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Got a set of the Boom A-Arms on the way. Should be here tomorrow. I'll give a report when I get them installed and run for a bit.
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Boom A-Arms installed, went out yesterday and today roosting in the snow.

I would call them bullet-proof. Lots of things are going to give way before these are. However they are heavy, at least 2 or 3 times the weight of the stock A-Arms. Unsprung weight is the enemy of good handling, so I'll be putting the stock arms on when they get in stock.

I bought these because they were the quickest way to get inner hinge pins when I bent the originals. One of the hinge pins was tweaked, but a few taps with a ball-peen hammer fixed that.

Everything fit perfectly, but weight is the issue. It's up to you.

Bob
Old 02-25-2015, 12:32 AM   #7
RCC Addict

You get what you pay for, saving $10.00 over a VP product or a more well known brand isn't always worth it.

With that said I do have some GCM items on my HPI WR8 and they appear to be nice quality. They did survive a 35 mph or so crash into a curb with no issue. Would I buy their stuff for my crawlers? No, but that's me.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:20 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

VP is not better than chinastuff. Simply compare VP parts with Integy and take a look where they produce....
corefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:33 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
VP is not better than chinastuff. Simply compare VP parts with Integy and take a look where they produce....
?? VP isn't better than Integy?

I beg to differ. Compare material to material, and tolerances being held.

I'll go american made anytime I have the opportunity to.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:33 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Are you seriously comparing VP to Integy? You've lost your damn mind. Not even f'ing close to the same quality.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Integy = made in a Chinese village near the three gorges dam using hand tools older than the Ming Dynasty on Mondays and Fridays by trained monkeys.

I'm going to stick with VQ and STRC. I trust those companies. I'm not wanting to try out an unknown at this time.

Last edited by RABIDFOX; 02-25-2015 at 08:23 AM.
RABIDFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #12
~THE SCALE SHOP~

I have great success with Hot Racing and STRC (and of course VP) over the years.

gpm also had a great rep over the years, but haven't heard much from them in many years. no clue on current offerings or quality.

I wouldn't buy integy, boom racing, etc.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:31 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Say what? VP is the pinnacle of quality, Integy is over priced shiny junk. There is no comparison between the two...

I have also had great luck with STRC and Axial aluminum parts.

Integy, really?
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Anyone characterizing Integy as junk is full of crap. Yes they are below VP in quality, but I'd call them equal with STRC.

I bought one of their shock pliers a few months ago and it is a work of art. Every joint feels like it has bearings installed it operates so smoothly. This from a guy with a garage full of Craftsman and Snap-On tools.

I think this is starting to be an opinion thread, everyone has one.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I have bought quite a lot of GPM parts for my yeti recently and I have to say that they have for the most part been brilliant - the fit has been good and solid with very good tolerances. The noly issue I have is with the trailing arms which look brilliant and are really solid - the issue is the way they are mounted using the brass bushing which can and do come loose. Superglue helps a lot here though and I've only had to glue them once.

I have the c-hubs and knuckles and they are a great fit. The steering assembly, posts, and rod are all a great fit as well and have virtually eliminated all slop - now I'm just waiting for the servo to break

I have tried topcad parts but I have to say I have always found the GPM to be better finished and a better fit than the topcad equivilents. I don't buy parts that are "complex" pats from topcad any more - I stick to suspension mounts etc. the larger bits.

If I was made of money I wuld give VP a go but the cost of getting them here in the UK is quite frankly stupid when up against GPM parts from asiatees or elsewhere.

I don't know if that helps you make a decision on boom racing parts or not but I thought I'd share

This is "The wookie" with its GPM front end

tachikoma1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #16

I find it quite funny that people actually think the chinese stuff is made by neanderthals in caves when they are probably made in similar machines as in the US. Machines that are made in Japan and China themselves most likely. Not bashing VP or anything, the stuff they make looks impeccable. I really really like the look of the steering parts with fake welds machined into them. Though buying them outside the US is a mighty pain in the behind. With customs and taxes the cheaper parts double in price.

That said, I recently bought a set of chrome 5spoke alu beadlocks from Boom Racing and i can't complain about anything really.

I wouldn hesitate to try other parts from Boom Racing.

Topcad parts looks and feels 'cheaper' compared to Boom Racing parts.
71Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:59 PM   #17

The few bits I've gotten from Boom have worked well, I also have some Integy and Vanquish stuff. All good.......

Last edited by RC DRVR; 01-27-2016 at 08:03 PM.
RC DRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:32 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I do notice that a lot of the posts defending the "cheaper" parts are newbs, and the ones saying they are inferior are more experienced.

Been in this game over 20 years. In the end, you typically get what you pay for. I agree, the machining and tolerances may be on par in some cases, but you have to take into consideration the quality of the alloy, and the care taken in machining it, which includes the machinist.

Having said that, I've always had good luck with VP and STRC as well. My history with Integy goes back a long way, and I've never been impressed with their parts.

Reputation is earned. The parts you get from the second tier vendors aren't doomed to fail right off the bat, but the chance of it happening is higher. And then the collateral damage that usually goes along with it.

And just food for thought: the Yeti is a nose heavy beast to begin with, why in the world would you want to add aluminum arms up front and make it worse?
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #19

Just for reference, number of posts doesn't necessarily constitute a noob. For example, I have been in the RC game since before the internet (~30+ years).
New to this site maybe, but I agree, you generally get what you pay for. It also depends on what you will be doing with your machine and how parts will hold up.

BTW, I am new (6 weeks) to the Yeti . Oh, and just got a SCX10 JK Wrangler 4 days ago

Last edited by RC DRVR; 01-27-2016 at 09:27 PM.
RC DRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:05 AM   #20

Those knocking Boom haven't tried their products. I don't know why the VP homo army has to chime in every time somebody asks about a product front a different brand.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Boom Racing parts??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boom racing products/ asiatees.com products nwcrawler Axial SCX-10 11 12-29-2014 05:11 PM
ABS Jeep and land rover hard bodies from boom racing Calderwood Paint and Body 6 07-26-2014 03:40 PM