Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: PC tech support needed...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2015, 09:12 PM   #1
Suck it up!

Default PC tech support needed...

Picked up an all-in-one a couple months ago with a dead hard drive. Installed new hd, loaded Ubuntu, and gave it to my son. Everything worked perfectly.

Eventually he wanted to go back to windows, so he saved up and bought 7. Got it loaded up tonight, now I get messages that its missing drivers. Since the pc originally came with w8, I can't download the factory driver package. I've been searching and trying for a couple hours now and can't seem to either A) find the proper drivers, or B) instal them properly.

The major bottle neck in the process is that it won't connect to the internet, either via wifi or a direct lan connection. If I could at least get that far, things would be so much easier.

Info on the pc: Contact HP Support and Customer Service | HP®*Support

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: PC tech support needed...

Just went through this myself. I had to uninstall the wireless cards in the device manager. I would do the same with all the network adapters. Then restart. It might reload the drivers and get the internet working. Once it works, windows update should load all the proper stuff. If you can find the model of the network card you might find a proper driver online with another computer. Belarc advisor will get you a lot of info, but I am not sure it works without internet. You should be able to load it on a thumb drive and run it.

Good luck.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:51 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yup sounds like what Win7 thought the LAN/WiFi adapters were are not what you have.

What will suck is if HP didn't use a standard part, or one that has Win8 only drivers. Since all-in-ones are basically laptops shoved into a monitor format who knows.

One way to by-pass the onboard stuff is to get one of those USB WiFi adapters.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
Suck it up!

'lator's trick got me moving forward again. It was online and downloading windows updates when I went to bed last night.

Thank you,sir.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:31 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

why I always buy no brand name PC parts and build it myself, bare bone kits have been the way to go after seeing a lot of problems people have with dell, HP and the such....
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I bought a new Dell with Windows Shit.1 , I am not sure the latest version of windows can be called anything else. Because it is so short lived, the parts manufactures are not making specific drivers for it, so some of the drivers act crazy. I had no blue tooth, no usb, and it hung during power downs.

I used a cross between several posts online and uninstalled everything. Once it came back some stuff worked. I even found out Dell installed some drivers that fight the windows drivers and were causing the mess. On a side note, its smooth as silk, and with the SSD I installed, boots up in about 8 seconds. Plus I found a small program that runs on top of 8.1 and makes it act much more like windows 7. Classic Shell is what it is called. Gives you a legit start button and desktop.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote

PC tech support needed... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stupid computer tech support needed Duuuuuuuude Chit Chat 38 02-11-2013 11:48 AM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
New Age Tech Support rcpinky EnRoute Berg 22 03-09-2009 11:10 PM
New requiremtns for being allowed to call tech support! TwistedXT Chit Chat 11 08-10-2006 07:55 PM
Tech Support jason Chit Chat 7 12-10-2004 01:07 PM