Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Problems with the Pit Bull RC store and its tires.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2018, 01:40 PM   #41

Default Re: Problems with the Pit Bull RC store and its tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I had a set of those 2 years ago so
Did you get them for 50% off?
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2018, 07:53 PM   #42

I got a call from Pitbull at work. I didn't realize it was Pitbull until I listened to the voicemail at home.

They called me because it's been more than a month since my payment authorization which meant it expired. I had to give them my credit card info and they said they should ship tomorrow. You know it's a long ass wait when your payment authorization expires.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:31 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I got a call from Pitbull at work. I didn't realize it was Pitbull until I listened to the voicemail at home.

They called me because it's been more than a month since my payment authorization which meant it expired. I had to give them my credit card info and they said they should ship tomorrow. You know it's a long ass wait when your payment authorization expires.
To me that's unacceptable, Even if it is half off! What kind of bussiness would run a half price sale if they don't even have the inventory to cover everything? Just seams like very shady bussiness practices to me and I don't think I'll ever buy any pit bull tires again
throttlejock27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlejock27 View Post
To me that's unacceptable, Even if it is half off! What kind of bussiness would run a half price sale if they don't even have the inventory to cover everything? Just seams like very shady bussiness practices to me and I don't think I'll ever buy any pit bull tires again
I agree.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:05 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
It's not 'shady', it's about selling product and then having trouble at the port of entry. If your product doesn't come in you can't ship.
Product is sold under the assumption it would come in. International shipping is not controlled by a small manufacturer/retailer.

They shipped what they had and waited for the rest. That's not shady. In fact, when I inquired they replied that they had been waiting on the port in Long Beach and when they expected, and then they shipped when they said they would. That's not 'shady' either.

A CC authorization is only good for 10 days at my company - we do about a half-mill a month and half of that CC's online.

PB makes a great product, and that you can get it at those prices is a really great deal. You can't wait? Buy Prolines then. Easy-peasy.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:43 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
It's not 'shady', it's about selling product and then having trouble at the port of entry. If your product doesn't come in you can't ship.
Product is sold under the assumption it would come in. International shipping is not controlled by a small manufacturer/retailer.

They shipped what they had and waited for the rest. That's not shady. In fact, when I inquired they replied that they had been waiting on the port in Long Beach and when they expected, and then they shipped when they said they would. That's not 'shady' either.

A CC authorization is only good for 10 days at my company - we do about a half-mill a month and half of that CC's online.

PB makes a great product, and that you can get it at those prices is a really great deal. You can't wait? Buy Prolines then. Easy-peasy.
Having back to back sales when you still haven't fulfilled the orders from the first sale isn't what I'd call shady, but it is a bad business practice.

"Those prices" really aren't a great deal. 50% off brings the price down to the level of the competition. When people pay full price for Pitbull tires they are overpaying. It's as simple as that.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:53 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Never heard of backorder?
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:56 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Never heard of backorder?
Backorders are disclosed at the time you place your order. Pitbull did not do that.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
Having back to back sales when you still haven't fulfilled the orders from the first sale isn't what I'd call shady, but it is a bad business practice.

"Those prices" really aren't a great deal. 50% off brings the price down to the level of the competition. When people pay full price for Pitbull tires they are overpaying. It's as simple as that.
Obvsiously there's an expectation there. Frankly I didn't expect the order to take longer than a few days, so I get it. And I agree, they should disclose stock availability so that the customer knows what to expect. Still, $38 for Bravens and $58 for RockBeast XL's I thought was a bargain too good to pass up. They are both really nice tires - I'm anxious to test them out. I liked the RB SX's well enough to buy more of their product.

And I agree on the pricing, absolutely. I wasn't going to pay $100 for a set of toy tires.

My LHS discounts tires 20%, so they're inline with online sellers, and they keep the popular styles in stock from both Proline and Pitbull. I picked up BFG Krawlers there, and they had the PBRB's in stock in the other sizes, but no 1.9 XL's. They had Traxxas and Losi tires and wheels on the rack as well.

Now there's one more rub to this - I got my RB-XL's in the mail yesterday and I think PB screwed the pooch on the foams - they're REALLY hard. I'll do a write up on mounting all the tires I've gotten, their foams, and my opinion on how they compare - before testing them crawling. The Vaterra TSL's feel the same as the Proline Krawlers, and the foams are identical. I want to say they're either made by the same company or sourced the same. Watch for it...I gotta upload some pics.
My money is on Vaterra either sourcing their tires from Proline, or from the same factory.

Between the PBRB XL's and Proline BFG Krawlers, the feel of the rubber, flexibility of the carcass, the hardness of the knobs, are virtually indiscernible. The foams are vastly different. Both mounted up very easily on beadlock wheels of various types, Axials, and china-made alike. I got a set of SSD steelies and they're good too.

Last edited by Browneye; 02-02-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Now there's one more rub to this - I got my RB-XL's in the mail yesterday and I think PB screwed the pooch on the foams - they're REALLY hard. I'll do a write up on mounting all the tires I've gotten, their foams, and my opinion on how they compare - before testing them crawling. The Vaterra TSL's feel the same as the Proline Krawlers, and the foams are identical. I want to say they're either made by the same company or sourced the same. Watch for it...I gotta upload some pics.
My money is on Vaterra either sourcing their tires from Proline, or from the same factory.
I agree. The new Pitbull foams are rock hard. They don't want to hear it. They said they can't please everybody, which is true, but I think most people agree that they are too stiff for light rigs.

The Vaterra TSLs are harder and definitely don't work as well as Proline tires.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:40 AM   #51

I picked up the Dos Pieza foams for my RB IIs and I think they're kind of stiff too. I was hoping to see just a little bit of tire squat, but those foams are so big that they push the tires out like a friggin balloon. But, balloon or not, I'm very happy with how they seem to work on the trails, and if we ever get above-freezing temperatures again, I bet they'll work even better.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #52

I finally...finally got a tracking number.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Well, since this is about Pitbull tires I may as well put it here...

I got my two sets of PB tires - Braven Ironsides and the RockBeast XL's for 1.9. I wanted to report about the RB XL's since I also got Proline BFG Krawlers, and I've been mounting and swapping tires around on my rigs, getting ready to put the RB XL's on a new rig.

Here are the four tires I have, left to right:
RB XL - Krawlers - Vaterra TSL - RockBeast SX - the 4.45" 'komp compound' version

The RB SX's have really nice dual-stage foams so I'm going to leave them out of the rest of this comparison. I like them but they're a little short, so got the XL's.

TSL -Krawler - RB XL

Here they are laid down:

On disassembling the TSL's I noticed the foam was larger than all the other tires, just slightly, and feels exactly like the Krawler foams. So I shaved them down on the shoulders on the bench grinder and re-mounted them on the new SSD steel wheels I got. I like how they are now more pliable, squat a little more, and will certainly grip more. This is a show/trail rig, not my comp rock crawler.

Next I noticed that the new PB foams are REALLY hard - like not much give, almost like styrofoam.
So I though hell, these are likely gonna get tossed anyway, why don't I see what happens if I shave them down to fit better, improve the profile, and allow some more give to the tread section of the tire. If it doesn't work out I'll be looking for some dual foams anyway.

Here are the three tires mounted up, and the RB XL's compared to the Krawlers. The PB's are just slightly taller than the Krawlers, and I think the latter are a little more scale looking:

Without running them out in the field, just feeling and observing them, they are all way more similar than different. Proof in the pudding will be seeing them crawl.

I did have a question on drilling wheels for air pressure - do most do that or not? I have drilled the Axial 8-hole, and I went ahead and did the SSD steelies on the K10, but left the new Boom-Racing alloys with the new RB XL's.

One thing I noticed was the foam was still damp inside the TSL's from running in water. So with just a 1/16" hole enough water gets into dampen the foam - I don't see how they would ever dry out.

Should I plan to tape up the hole if there's a lot of water involved?

Discussion -->>

Last edited by Browneye; 02-02-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:51 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Nice comparison, thanks! I really like Vaterra TSLs, the Proline Krawlers are better looking and more scale size than the PBRB as you stated. Where's the Braven Ironsides? Bummed I was kinda busy and indecisive and missed out on those for half price.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Braven Ironside for class1 scale comp...
Foams are pretty firm on these too. They seemed oversize so I shaved them down some too. Likely need some aftermarket foams for the PitBull tires - I think they missed the mark on that...

Old 02-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

I'm not experienced enough to say yay or nay on drilling wheels or tires for crawling, although I will say that with only the wheels drilled, the stock TSL Vaterra tires were obviously not going to dry out - so I vented the tires as well. I'm sure that contributed to the entire wheel/tire package being way too soft after a few packs of running, to the point of the tires nearly peeling off the wheel on downhill turns:

I'm not drilling anything at all for the first run of my so-far-uninstalled wheel & tire sets - and will make a decision based on how things go on my results. So - the RC4WD 1.7" MT/R tires on RC4WD Raceline beadlocks, with their internal sidewall ribbing and new-style foams (as far as RC4WD foams go) will be tested soon. My Bomber build will be running kit Axial Baja T/A tires with CI 5.5" Double-Deuce CompCut Inner w/MediumOuter foams on Incision Method beadlocks, and will also have an alternate setup of Losi Maxxis Creepy Crawlers with stock foams on Gearhead CAC EZ-Loc beadlocks (these are very large tires, 5.75" x 2.125" mounted). I imagine I'll end up drilling somewhere between 2 and 4 2mm holes in all of the tires eventually, in between the tread blocks.

Here's a pic of some severe tire roll-off:
Attached Images

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #57
RCC Addict

Quote:
I agree. The new Pitbull foams are rock hard. They don't want to hear it. They said they can't please everybody, which is true, but I think most people agree that they are too stiff for light rigs.

The Vaterra TSLs are harder and definitely don't work as well as Proline tires.
Desmond told me to let the foams break in before swapping them out, but I couldn't handle it. I had to put in a set of CIs after the first run. There were lines I was making with stock 10.2 BFGs that the RBXLs couldn't do with the stock foams. The foams in the baby beasts feel a bit firm too, but I'll try them out for a bit.

As for venting, I vent all my tires. I also tend to stay out of water as much as possible. If I know that water is something I must go through, closed cell foams are the way to go. Water breaks down normal foams and they will be worthless.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:59 AM   #58

I finally got mine.

Going back to where these things are made - look at the tag. The top right says "Honor, guts & glory" with the American flag, but then in the center it says "Made in Taiwan." Classy.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:47 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Hahahahahahahahaha, that's funny^.
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #60
Rock Crawler

Haha what a joke!
throttlejock27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Problems with the Pit Bull RC store and its tires. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Pit Bull Tires Braven Ironside 1.9 Tires - Open for Pre-order! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 08-02-2017 10:37 AM
Do I Drill holes in Tires? Double Deuces foam and Pit Bull Tires. Mayday! Axial Wraith 17 03-19-2015 09:11 AM
Thank You Pit Bull tires. Krakker Tires and Wheels 3 07-30-2010 08:40 PM