Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Large Scale (1/8-1/5) anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2019, 04:12 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Large Scale (1/8-1/5) anyone?

My issue with larger scale, is having somewhere to use it, and store it. Not opposed to it by any means, just don't have the room. The vast majority of our local crawl spots, wouldn't be able to handle 1/5 scale either. 1/10 - 1/8 seems to be about the perfect balance for me.
coffeeaddict17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2019, 06:23 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

I drive a pretty small car.

But i can still fit a large scaler i am sure, one or two of the large 1/5 HPI gasoline cars can fit in with one in the trunk and one on the rear seat.

And i live in a 2 floor apartment with no elevator, so i can manage that too just like i can manage the 15 L steel tank i use for compressed air for my airgun.
Though i am older and weaker and i do appreciate i don't go shooting with the airgun every day, so i am sure i could manage a big scaler too.

And don't complain about places to drive, Denmark are like ultra flat compared to the average American topography.
Where there are will there are options to have fun and a good ol time.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

ive got a few newer bodies ive been eyeballing for larger scale builds. I had the Harley ranger at one point.. but it was way to narrow for what I wanted.

there is a SK group that has the gi joe jeeps.

I even think RCP sells rock armor for them? correct me if im wrong.

I have an idea in the works. just some napkin dreams though. ifs/ irs 1/6 "HMMVW" with rock force worm gear sets and protals. direct drive outrunner. a full interior and engine bay could be done no issue.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:24 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I love it...all these old vids are the exact reason why my stockpiling of large scale (1/6 scale) keeps happening! I just realized today I have 6 rams, a cxt, two jesse james chevys and a yukon! Maybe after I build one up I'll lose the interest! Oh this hobby is dangerous.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:44 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

I love my large scale rigs. Currenmost there's only one runner, a stretched slash 4x4. The rest are in various rebuild, build stages from 1/7 to 1/5 scale.
It would be cool to be able to buy one. I will not be able to outright buy one due to $ constraints, but would probably piece one together from the classifieds/Ebay
Gula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

X-Maxx!!!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
X-Maxx!!!
Hey whatup kid! Long time no talk. And to stay on topic, I'd be into a 5th scale rig!
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

I could add a super rock rey to the hobby room. How come the link to the 1/8 scale F-150 raptor doesn’t have a price?

Last edited by Alexander_0_1; 03-02-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Im looking at putting my lit up avalanche body on a 1/6 redcat shredder and locking it up to go anywhere with a low kv motor. This thing is gonna look sick on the trails. Shredder itself is affordable with a 19" wheelbase. It would outperform an xmaxx no doubt due to weighing 10 less lbs.

I think the biggest issue regarding larger scale popularity in the market is price point and engineering.

It is worth noting that the rc4wd rok loks are not currently available. I have the 40 series mudslingers and mickey thompsons and rock roks and they are by far the stickiest of the bunch and most effective because they run narrow.

I like large scale because you can do different stuff and looks much cooler and unique on the trails. I think it also opens up the opportunity for "builder" stuff like trailers, coolers, mobile music, lighting, and air pressured tires.

I understand if not everyone is blessed with crawler terrain in their geography. That is something important to remember when you have tight terrain on a trail and space becomes an issue. No one likes it when you bump/run over their 1/10 rig on the trail, either.

If you come from 1:1 wheeling, larger scale just makes sense if you can control your budget and stay relatively reliable. Even if your 1/5 breaks, you can still pick it up and go home.

Remember that rc crawling is where 1:1 crawlers and r/c people come together. There's gonna be difference in opinion.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:01 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Since my Ram is up and running, I've got a 1/8 Raptor that need some attention, and a 1/8 (ish) Ford Harley body sitting here waiting for some love... Think it's going to be big scale builds the rest of the winter.

Glad to see everyone's feedback. Still think we'll see an XL scaler from one of the big players this year. My money's on Axial. I think they need something new, different and exciting. Traxxas is sucking all the air out of the room.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

It’d be nice of axial to give us a 1/5 bomber, or wraith...even an scx, but who the hells idea was it to make a 1/5 yeti...
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokersinsanity View Post
Yea to bad it isnt electric i couldnt listen to that beast on the trails no matter how nice it is. Its nice to be able to go for a trail ride and actually hear urself think and see wildlife. Not go for a trailride with a whipper snipper or lawnmower lmao but that is just my thoughts

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk
Would be easy to make electric .
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Large Scale (1/8-1/5) anyone? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
large scale axle question from a tenth scale guy... summervillecrawler Large Scale Rigs 6 02-02-2012 06:49 AM
LARGE scale R/C's! Very LARGE! CBR Chit Chat 9 04-16-2009 11:55 AM