Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 3D Printers and Printing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2024, 09:14 PM   #261
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 3D Printers and Printing

The other night I was soldering up a battery pack for a friend, and it really hit me how much I disliked my solder stand. It was one of my first projects I made when I started using Fusion 360 and printing. After about an hour of staring at the solder stand, I had a good idea of what I wanted for my next one. About an hour on the computer and about 20 hours of print time, I have this little gem. This is so much more functional... This is what I love about the whole 3D printing thing...

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2024, 07:02 PM   #262
RCC Addict

Finally got my ender 3 v2 lined out. Downloaded some of harleys files. I fought with them the past 2 days, before i realized, i didnt have adhesion n supports turned on Now theyre printin pretty good. Only colors i have at the moment are black n clear, but i managed to get a bit creative with them. When i printed the exhaust n seats, i swapped colors in the middle of printing. I like how they turned out. Idk how, but managed to time the swap on the second seat pretty close lol. I got the dash, 2 seats, exhaust, the hot side of the turbo, n the rack/tray for the phoenix/fordyce done. The cold side is printin now, then ill get the velocity n cliffhanger cab only cage done

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 03:40 AM   #263
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Finally got my ender 3 v2 lined out.

Welcome to the club! Endless possibilities and a must have tool!

Not sure if this will apply to you, but I always before each print, spray some alcohol (non drinkable kind) on a rag and wipe down the bed when I first start to heat the bed up. That has helped my adhesion. I have the Ender 3 Pro which has the magnet bed, not the glass, so not sure what type of bed you have.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 05:01 AM   #264
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post

Not sure if this will apply to you, but I always before each print, spray some alcohol (non drinkable kind) on a rag and wipe down the bed when I first start to heat the bed up. That has helped my adhesion. I have the Ender 3 Pro which has the magnet bed, not the glass, so not sure what type of bed you have.
Thanks for the tip brian. Ive got the glass bed right now, but ive been lookin at gettin some of the flexible bed plates. Ill try that alcohol trick next time. Ive got to get the cage printed, hopefully tonight

Old 04-08-2024, 12:11 PM   #265
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post

Quote:
Thanks for the tip brian. Ive got the glass bed right now, but ive been lookin at gettin some of the flexible bed plates. Ill try that alcohol trick next time. Ive got to get the cage printed, hopefully tonight

I clean both of my print beds with isopropyl right before printing (before the bed gets heated) and have really good success with adhesion. My Mini Prusa has a magnetic bed, and my CR-10 has coated glass.

Both of these printers have served me well, but both are getting a bit long in the tooth. I was just a day away from pulling the trigger on a Bambu A1 when the whole line got recalled. I am hoping they fix their bed cabling issue soon and get them back in to production.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 05:47 PM   #266
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I clean both of my print beds with isopropyl right before printing (before the bed gets heated) and have really good success with adhesion. My Mini Prusa has a magnetic bed, and my CR-10 has coated glass.

Both of these printers have served me well, but both are getting a bit long in the tooth. I was just a day away from pulling the trigger on a Bambu A1 when the whole line got recalled. I am hoping they fix their bed cabling issue soon and get them back in to production.
Id love to have a bambu, but its a bit out on my range n i need more practice at the cad n printing before i spend that kind of dough lol

Old 04-11-2024, 11:02 AM   #267
RCC Addict

Quote:
Id love to have a bambu, but its a bit out on my range n i need more practice at the cad n printing before i spend that kind of dough lol

The A1 was $400 unless you wanted multi color prints then the price jumped up to ~$600 IIRC.

I bought a P1S combo several months ago. Its capable of printing all kinds of filament if I just upgrade extruder gears and the nozzle but so far all I have used is PLA, PETG, and ASA. My CAD skills are lacking. I've only been printing other people's designs.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 02:08 PM   #268
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
The A1 was $400 unless you wanted multi color prints then the price jumped up to ~$600 IIRC.

I bought a P1S combo several months ago. Its capable of printing all kinds of filament if I just upgrade extruder gears and the nozzle but so far all I have used is PLA, PETG, and ASA. My CAD skills are lacking. I've only been printing other people's designs.
I feel u. The prints ive done, were from harley. I havent done CAD since high school, n thats been 25 yrs ago lol. Dang, now i feel old. But im in the process of gettin a decent program to try. Wat i did print came out pretty good. I happened to time the switch almost perfectly on the seats. Broke the cage, tryin to get the supports broke free, but ill make it work

Old 04-11-2024, 03:42 PM   #269
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post

I also picked up the PS1 a short time ago when they were on sale. Seems like a good little printer. I too have yet to design anything, I am finding it hard to find time for much of anything RC related these days ...

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:34 PM   #270
RCC Addict

I’ve had a p1s and ams unit for almost about 9 months and it’s been great. Primarily use it to print esun abs+ with the occasional pla. It’s been a work horse ever since.

I’ve printed all the parts to convert the voron v0.2 to a Pandora’s box, currently printing parts to do a belted z conversion on the voron trident 300 as well as other custom primarily Rc parts.

Only issues have been needing to replace the nozzle once, and ams slot 1&2 are having issues lately. I think the ams issue are more because I really only use slot 1&2, the others are just used as a dry box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 09:25 AM   #271
Rock Crawler

For anyone looking to design your own parts, I highly recommend checking out the Harley Designs stl Sunday Playlist. Get a copy of fusion 360 with the free personal use license and follow along with his process to learn the tool. With some practice you can pretty much draw anything you want. I watched this one a few years ago to get me started. Since then I've drawn and printed loads of parts for my rigs. Anything I think others might find useful I share on my thingiverse page.

https://www.youtube.com/live/xItqF3R...HI0EsWSl8hh_5z

Last edited by bgredjeep; 04-12-2024 at 09:28 AM.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 10:06 AM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
The other night I was soldering up a battery pack for a friend, and it really hit me how much I disliked my solder stand. It was one of my first projects I made when I started using Fusion 360 and printing. After about an hour of staring at the solder stand, I had a good idea of what I wanted for my next one. About an hour on the computer and about 20 hours of print time, I have this little gem. This is so much more functional... This is what I love about the whole 3D printing thing...

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr
Nice design! I really like it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 11:43 AM   #273
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
I’ve had a p1s and ams unit for almost about 9 months and it’s been great. Primarily use it to print esun abs+ with the occasional pla. It’s been a work horse ever since.

I’ve printed all the parts to convert the voron v0.2 to a Pandora’s box, currently printing parts to do a belted z conversion on the voron trident 300 as well as other custom primarily Rc parts.

Only issues have been needing to replace the nozzle once, and ams slot 1&2 are having issues lately. I think the ams issue are more because I really only use slot 1&2, the others are just used as a dry box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slot 3 gave me a bunch of issues. One time I had about a 1/2" long piece of filament break off in the 4:1 hub in the bottom of the AMS. I took that thing apart 3x before I finally found it. I could tell by the color it was from slot 3, but I had not used that color in a while so not sure exactly what made it finally jam up. I just quit using that slot for now.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote

3D Printers and Printing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D printers? vwdaveb Tools, and Procedures 5 05-05-2015 09:19 PM
3D Printers lostonthetrails Chit Chat 30 03-28-2014 08:12 AM
what printers do you use???? fishfever Newbie General 0 12-29-2008 08:33 PM