Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: No Prep Drag Racing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
Gold Star Baby!

Question No Prep Drag Racing?

These things seem to be getting pretty popular, at least around these parts. A lot of the locals that were into scale trail trucks have been building these instead of crawlers.

With the DR10 being released it has me curious about how fun they are and if I want to look into investing in one. Proline seems to be supporting the drag cars fairly well too.

Are any of you all getting into these?
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: No Prep Drag Racing?

I thought I saw a Nova in the For Sale section a few days ago
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:57 PM   #3

I'm not going to do it. I was going to buy a Traxxas funny car when they came around and those things died out so quickly. Every time drag racing comes around it doesn't seem to last. I think in a year or so that ship will have sailed except for the diehards.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I’m with Jato on this one, they look cool as hell and I have the perfect driveway for it but I think even if I could talk a friend into building one too it would be just that one guy to run against maybe two tops then after a month we’d all get bored and they’d all be sitting on shelves. I was tempted for a little but put some thought into it and changed my mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:04 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Slash based drag builds have been a thing since at least 2017-2018 so it's already more than a year. I've been curious to build one myself, but honestly there's a long list of RCs I'd "like to build one day" lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:47 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Dunno... I have seen these around for a while, and I think there might be some staying power in this niche of the hobby.

I have tinkered with the idea of building a car. I have kept my eye on FB and Craigs for a used Slash for a reasonable price, but so far none have popped up.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I was anxious to watch them at RCX is '16, thought, wow, this should be good. Yes, they haul the mail, but most runs ended with some sort of roll over or crash. Very few drove them to a stop. Parachutes and the whole 9 yds. I think more guys are into speed run cars than dragsters. Slash 4X in particular. Takes a lot of $$$$ and patience to build one for a few moments of "speed". Entertaiing YouTube videos none the less. Eienstein's next of kin takes a digger in the shin in one of them......
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Drag racing, like speed runs get's boring for most people after a few times. I tried drag back in the early days of brushless, had a highly modified 2WD rustler setup for it. It's fun to build but loses it's luster after that. Speed runs were the same for me and although youtube is full of the, they're boring to watch and perform.

I was interested in the ARRMA Limitless as a street basher, but all of the videos are stupid speed runs. Would love to see how it does in normal street bashing, but can't seem to find that info. I have all the electronics needed to put in one, just no information on them other than going fast in a straight line for a few seconds.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:55 AM   #9
Gold Star Baby!

Not that I go out of my way to look for them, but I don’t see many videos or clips of people running them and am wondering if it’s more of a builders type of project as they photograph pretty well.

The few clips I have seen are like what Mac Fab mentioned. Usually one wrecks and the winner more survives than wins on speed. They do look cool though, and the DR10 is coupon eligible at amain... must resist.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:16 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Usually one wrecks and the winner more survives than wins on speed.
That's my impression (right or wrong) of RC drag racing as well. Consider me uninterested.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:29 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Not that I go out of my way to look for them, but I don’t see many videos or clips of people running them and am wondering if it’s more of a builders type of project as they photograph pretty well.
I think a lot of the success of the no prep drag racing has been the cars are still essentially made from spare short course trucks that a whole lot of people have laying around unused because the local racing scene went away. If you can make this fun, cool new car out of something that was gathering dust in your garage, why wouldn't you give it a shot? Even if it doesn't turn out to be your thing, the whole endeavor is relatively low cost and effort.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

My only real interest in the Drag racing is whipping up a body to look real nice on it. As for the actual running, I probably wouldn't be all that interested after the initial "something different" factor. I've considered picking up a DR10 just to get a nice body on it like the Nova, but other than that.... I probably wouldn't run it too often.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:07 PM   #13
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
My only real interest in the Drag racing is whipping up a body to look real nice on it. As for the actual running, I probably wouldn't be all that interested after the initial "something different" factor. I've considered picking up a DR10 just to get a nice body on it like the Nova, but other than that.... I probably wouldn't run it too often.
Same! to a T. Some of the bodies RC Bombshells has done are outstanding for these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
If you can make this fun, cool new car out of something that was gathering dust in your garage, why wouldn't you give it a shot? Even if it doesn't turn out to be your thing, the whole endeavor is relatively low cost and effort.
Spot on. This makes a lot of sense. Most of what I’ve seen has been repurposed 2wd slashes.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I've looked in to it and really like the j concepts 66 c10 drag body. The local scene seems to have a good base and a monthly top 10 list race meet. I think I can get a roller for under $120. It seems fairly cheap to start out and there are more start up companies making aftermarket parts.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Same! to a T. Some of the bodies RC Bombshells has done are outstanding for these things.
Yes, they are incredibly beautiful paint jobs! I'd love to have one. I'm just not willing to pay $150 for a paint job to sit on a shelf nor am I willing to pay that for something that will most likely end up on its lid and go skidding down the asphalt. Kudos to the guys that do. It's kinda no different than spending $800 on a Vanquish kit with metal axles that are going to get scratched up on the rocks. But at least I get fun out of that. LOL
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:48 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I’ve got the No Prep bug...🥴

Being that I’m an Associated whore, the DR10 looks like it might be in my near future.😎
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:01 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I’ve been looking into it too, already have the wheels and rear tires on hand and plan on converting a XL5 Bandit over with a Slash LCG kit, once those are off backorder.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I think it may stick around for a while. Look at short course, it is still around. Maybe its more of a regional thing, who knows. but RC crawling has evolved from a 90% diy hobby to what it is now. Im sure there were many that thought RC crawling/scale would fade away.
Look at where we're now.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #19
Gold Star Baby!

I’ll tell y’all what if you like to tinker this is a good way to go, because tinker you will.

It’s wild how much the smallest changes and sometimes no obvious change at all can affect how consistently, or inconsistently rather, these run. It’s been fun though, I just need to spend some more time with it but the Sherpa build and longing for the rocks has me back in crawler mode lately.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #20
RCC Addict

I need to get out to some of the meet ups. So many cool new bodies have me tempted to build something but I just dont know how much I'd run it.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote

No Prep Drag Racing? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any drag racing in ky farmer2 Kentucky 0 05-22-2008 06:45 PM
R/C drag racing Rok_Dok Chit Chat 6 12-12-2007 10:50 AM
RC drag racing STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 1 09-24-2007 10:12 AM