Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Mattress Question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2022, 12:19 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Mattress Question...

So, we are looking at upgrading our mattress in the near future. With getting older and battling different neck and back issues, we were thinking of trying one of the Purple, Nectar, or DreamCloud models.

I know there are all kind of responses I could get on this one and likely, I deserve it a little...

Being in Alaska, having a mattress shipped up here is not the ting I want to do very often.

My wife is leaning towards the Nectar and me myself, I am not really sold on any of them.
I have never really been a fan of memory foam mattresses, but the technology may have improved.

Have any of you fellow R/C'ers used any of these three?
If so, please let me know your comments.

TIA
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2022, 12:57 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Mattress Question...

None of those 3, but I’ve had an Allswell mattress for a couple years, and I like it. It has springs and memory foam.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 01:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
None of those 3, but I’ve had an Allswell mattress for a couple years, and I like it. It has springs and memory foam.
Thanks for the input DRED

Do you recall which model you purchased?

Last edited by AK KRAWLER; 02-04-2022 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:27 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

For me, mattress shopping was really tough. I'm lucky to be about an hour from a large enough city to go and actually lay down and try out several different stores worth. Like literally laid on a hundred different mattress' before the day was done. Couldn't believe the difference in price and feel across the market. In the end spent $2,000 on a Seally Tempurpedic queen size, which seemed kinda crazy at the time. But ya know what? Totally worth it. I have back issues from doing dumb things as a teenager and being able to start the day well rested and without pain has been a life changer. That was 7 years ago, no regrets, mattress has held up well and I legitimately sleep better since.

I'm sorry I can't help much, other than I'd be hesitant to spend real money on a mattress before I was able to lay on it. Every "body" is different and has different sleeping positions and preferences, so it's going to be hard to nail your correct mattress just by product brochures.

The other way to do it is subscribe to the happy wife, happy life mentality and just live with whatever the Mrs picks out?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:17 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
For me, mattress shopping was really tough. I'm lucky to be about an hour from a large enough city to go and actually lay down and try out several different stores worth. Like literally laid on a hundred different mattress' before the day was done. Couldn't believe the difference in price and feel across the market. In the end spent $2,000 on a Seally Tempurpedic queen size, which seemed kinda crazy at the time. But ya know what? Totally worth it. I have back issues from doing dumb things as a teenager and being able to start the day well rested and without pain has been a life changer. That was 7 years ago, no regrets, mattress has held up well and I legitimately sleep better since.

I'm sorry I can't help much, other than I'd be hesitant to spend real money on a mattress before I was able to lay on it. Every "body" is different and has different sleeping positions and preferences, so it's going to be hard to nail your correct mattress just by product brochures.

The other way to do it is subscribe to the happy wife, happy life mentality and just live with whatever the Mrs picks out?
All good points man! and I loath mattress shopping. We did that the last time and everything we found up here, was $2500+ and at the time, I was not willing to pony up that much cash on a mattress. Now that I am having issues sleeping and with pain, it probably would have been a sound investment, although my "body" situation has changed. At this point, I am thinking of going with the Nectar, as that is what she is showing the most interest in.
My daughter just purchased one a few weeks ago, as well as her mom and stepdad have one and they all like them.
The Nectar at least has a decent "try it" for 365 days and from what I have heard, they are great about honoring it. That would at least give us a good amount of time to see how we like it. I'm still on the fence, but definitely leaning one direction.

Thanks for the input fellas!
Old 02-04-2022, 09:43 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

We got a Nectar over a year ago and it's been great. I have back issues and my wife has hip issues, and we both sleep pretty well on it.
It doesn't hold heat like memory foam used to either.
Ours came with pillows as well and I like them, wifey did not. Thankfully, our youngest wanted one.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Screwfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:46 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I'll chime in here since my wife and I went through this just last year. We had been on a Serta mattress for about 20 years fwiw. I didn't want so spend much so we went in with a spending budget of no more than $800 to $1000. We narrowed it down to Mattress Firm and Factory Mattress because those were the only two places in our neck of the woods where we could try before buying. One by one we eliminated Nectar ( which was actually okay but not ideal for us), Purple, Dream Cloud, Sealy, and a few others. And we quickly realized that our budget of under a grand was going to need to be revised.

So this is where it gets a little interesting. We finally settled on a Serta Perfect Sleeper ( plush) for about $2k. My wife is skinny/ lightweight and liked the firmer mattresses and I am more chunk and mass oriented and so I felt better on the softer/ more plush mattresses in the showrooms.

But what we both discovered throughout all of this is that softer/ more plush is not necessarily the main consideration. There needs to be a distinction of support/ firmness. Unfortunately I did not discover this until AFTER taking delivery of our new mattress. It was horrible. Every night for almost a week, I couldn't get comfortable and woke up tired and achy. It was just TOO plush. Felt great in the showroom for a few minutes at a time but actually sleeping on it was another story.

So we returned it with Mattress Firm's return policy ( which costs you 10%) but at least you CAN return it. What we finally went with was a Tempur-Pedic Pro-Adapt model. Still very comfy but with noticeable support as compared to the first one. My wife by that point also decided that she wanted an adjustable base which I honestly don't think is necessary but we do use the feature every once in a while... like when I'm snoring she'll raise it up a little until I stop. An adjustable base is also nice in order to sit up and watch movies/ TV although we currently have no TV in the bedroom. She also likes to sit up and knit sometimes so we DO use it... just not sure it was worth the extra expense. Something to consider nonetheless.

Anyway... That was my experience and I'd rather die and be buried deep into the ground before going through that whole mess again. But you have to have a good nights sleep and so in that regard, I think it's absolutely worth spending some serious time and possibly more than you want to pay, in order to achieve your goal.

When considering a new mattress my additional advice would be: Try not to compare the potential new mattress to your old one... especially if your old one is REALLY old and/ or really broken in. Don't limit yourself to a low end budget unless you're completely bound by that... Having some wiggle room really helps so that you don't obsess over keeping it under a certain price... You have to be able to get a good nights sleep and that may cost more than you want to spend. Also, make sure that you work WITH your spouse... Both of you need to be honest with each other regarding what feels right. Consider also that you need to have a mattress that will hold up in quality, comfort, and support for many years. That's where online reviews can help... There are a lot of mattresses out there that people liked initially but that have a plethora of complaints regarding "sag" after long term use. Take your time and don't let yourself be rushed by sales-staff or by getting burned out. If you have to take a few days or a couple weekends, do it. This is an Investment... Buy once.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:00 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Fwiw, I'm not in the retail bedding industry but many, many of my work accounts are. All of them would tell you, just like shoes, to never purchase a mattress for your daily use without trying it first. To complicate this, it sounds like you fit into the norm where two people will be using the same mattress. A second reason for "the both of you to go try them out".

If it's not possible to get to a retail store from your remote location, definitely look into the return policy and see who pays the return freight and the freight of the replacement mattress (if any). Those roll up mattresses are vacuum bagged and rolled up by a machine to achieve the smallest freight charges. Once you open that genie, don't think there's a way to get it back in that same size box so if you have to pay to return it, keep in mind how large of carton you're going to have to pay for.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:45 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Lots of great info here, thank you everyone for chiming in. If we end up purchasing online, I will get it in writing that the return is at no charge, shipping and all.
I do not see them paying the freight on a replacement, nor really on the original purchase. That would be on us and is what I expect. That's the price we pay for living up here.

Keep the opinions and experiences coming and I will also keep this updated with our decision and review after a few months.
Old 02-05-2022, 12:46 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Duped...
Old 02-06-2022, 07:12 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Casper Hybrid. We have lumbar issues, this is pure heaven when sleeping. We spend 40% of our lives in bed, Why not be comfortable

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:45 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I'm pretty lucky. I've got a connection to a mattress factory and get almost anything I want and at cost. A good bed is a must for sure. I'm not even sure what I have anymore but I sleep like a baby when I get to sleep. I got to go get another bed for my daughter's/guest room soon but feel lucky to get a great deal.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote

Mattress Question... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire foam question. WARNING!!! Noob question! tokdl Tires and Wheels 6 05-07-2014 10:55 AM
Drive way too fast question and front locker question. Mr.JayDeeM Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 02-07-2012 09:19 AM
Specialty Mattress Owners? kurt Chit Chat 21 06-08-2009 07:15 PM
memory foam mattress sierradmax Tires and Wheels 1 08-21-2008 07:47 AM