Here’s what’s left after the last blow here

https://youtu.be/P5NyWVf4cPU

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2022, 06:28 PM   #2
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: Ian

That beach is paradise. The white sand everywhere is enough to distract the eyes from all the desttuction is the background.
The winds and waves to cause that are something to fear, wow.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:39 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

what i dont get is 100mph winds in the east are a huricane but when its blowing 100+ on the west coast its a normal storm ive taken my skiff out in 100+ mph winds many times when i was living on my boat on the mooring and it isent that big of a deal but people flip out over it
we never got storm surge ether im asuming thats also a east coast thing

the only differance i can think of is how deep the water is the atlantic is pretty shallow compaired the pacific but dose it really make that much differance
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:32 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
what i dont get is 100mph winds in the east are a huricane but when its blowing 100+ on the west coast its a normal storm ive taken my skiff out in 100+ mph winds many times when i was living on my boat on the mooring and it isent that big of a deal but people flip out over it

the only differance i can think of is how deep the water is the atlantic is pretty shallow compaired the pacific but dose it really make that much differance
Calif doesn't have all the necessary ingredients to come together like this.

74 to 95 mph is a cat-1 hurricane. Ian was a strong cat 4 damn near cat 5. Over 100 mph sustained winds for hours in some places like Sanibel Isd... Combined with the direction of the hurricane path as well as how slow it moved and the angle that it came ashore.. plus the gradual rise of the topography. Tide table also played a part and made it worse in some places. On top of all of that, water temp is also a factor and the Gulf is generally very warm this time of year... especially as compared to a lot of other places. All of that played a part in the severity of this one. Been a while since Fla has been hit this hard.

Surge happens all across the world as well as the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico. Gulf is pretty shallow in comparison. Ike and the accompanying surge came in from the Gulf side not Atlantic side.

Yeah... all of these things make a huge difference compared to a fast moving storm with 100 mph gusts.

I left the Gulf coast shortly after Katrina and then Rita. Ike really messed up the island where I used to live and it took years for it to look normal again.

Not sure where you're at Mike, but I sure as hell hope that you made it through okay.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 06:42 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

100 mph wind is still 100mph wind no matter how you shake it
Old 10-09-2022, 09:40 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post

You ain't been in 100mph+ winds. Not trying to be disrespectful but there is no way you have been talking like that. Maybe a chance of gusts. Look up derechos in the midwest as well. 100+mph winds destroy things especially sustained for any period of time. Especially when combined with rain. You say no big deal but have you ever seen what a storm has done??? I'm guessing not. Not seen pictures or watched the news during/after a major hurricane.

Wind alone doesn't cause a storm surge, I'd have to read about it again to give a coherent response, but it also has to do with pressures and tons of other stuff.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:25 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Saddest part was the ‘69 dodge Daytona and ‘70 Plymouth super bird in the first 10 seconds of the video. Super rare cars.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 03:04 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
You ain't been in 100mph+ winds. Not trying to be disrespectful but there is no way you have been talking like that. Maybe a chance of gusts. Look up derechos in the midwest as well. 100+mph winds destroy things especially sustained for any period of time. Especially when combined with rain. You say no big deal but have you ever seen what a storm has done??? I'm guessing not. Not seen pictures or watched the news during/after a major hurricane.

Wind alone doesn't cause a storm surge, I'd have to read about it again to give a coherent response, but it also has to do with pressures and tons of other stuff.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
ive been through a cat 2 on lake erie on a 37ft sailboat ive been through tornadows in the midwest that riped trees out of my front yard and ive riden out many of storms on my sailboat in the pacific in well over 100mph sustained winds recorded by noaa once you have had your hand wraped around a anchor line for 6 hours while holding the boat with the other to save your home because the 2 cleats bolted through the deck just riped 4 3inch holes in the deck i think that counts as understanding 100 mph winds point is its not called a huricane just a storm and its not a big deal you dont here about it on the news

however a 10 ft storm surge wouldent even make it up to the parking lot at most beaches

we build everything to earthquake standerds so the roof is conected to the foundation on most buildings the worst that usually happens is the roofs might loose some shingles

no big deal

Last edited by ferp420; 10-09-2022 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:15 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

The ability to withstand wind-- on the internet-- transcends time, place, or activity. It's always VASTLY overstated, and presented as absolutely factual. It's all over the cycling forums, where hardmen claim to have ridden uphill during snowstorms against 70mph winds.

The talk offers more bluster than the actual wind. I live in the Inland Empire in SoCal, and it's a confluence of valleys. We can and do get winds in excess of 70mph-- it tears roofs off, it flips big rigs over, it pushes trees right out of the ground. I have ridden my bike in winds gusting to ~40mph, and it's HORRIBLE. I have no way to even begin to imagine what hurricane force winds are like. Riding a bike directly into 25mph winds, sustaining a pace of even 6-7mph is difficult-- if that wind hits you from the side, you can end up in the bushes. Even a gust at 100mph would slide a person across the ground like a sled. The Santa Anas can hit into the 80s in a bad year, and it wreaks absolute havoc.

It's starting to feel like wind is the new fish. A bigger story every year.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote

Ian - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help Ian "Low Crawl" Young build the ultimate AX-10 SSS-R! billet works Vendors Market 46 09-23-2010 12:56 PM
r-model mack the makings of #151 IAN SEMIJOE Non Crawler RC's 15 09-13-2010 02:55 PM
Fundraiser For Ian Crabtree ZUKMAN General Crawlers 0 06-06-2008 11:41 PM