Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Power Lifting...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2007, 10:35 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

tHIS HAS TO BE MY FAVORITE SUBJECT. It starts with age factor, experience and goal specific. I would start off with low reps high intensity. Making sure you are fully warmed upped or else the injury factor is like more than 80 percent. Stick to basic lifts and more barbell low rep range depends on your condition and experience in this area. Everything should depend on short cycles and consistency.
pureadrenalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
For me; 12 ounces. LOTS of reps...

Wuss, crank it up to 52oz and then brag
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:41 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureadrenalin View Post
tHIS HAS TO BE MY FAVORITE SUBJECT. It starts with age factor, experience and goal specific. I would start off with low reps high intensity. Making sure you are fully warmed upped or else the injury factor is like more than 80 percent. Stick to basic lifts and more barbell low rep range depends on your condition and experience in this area. Everything should depend on short cycles and consistency.
that about H.I.T. the nail on the head there. man that was a terrible joke.
I like that methof myself as well it is quick you can change things up easy. so many go things ot it. but needed a spoter can suck.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:52 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Have you ever read up on dual factor loading and unloading? If you have been lifting for a few years you could be running 4-6 week loading cycles to continue your progression. Lifting the same weight 3x a week every week will stall anybody out. You can also run a simple load during the week, like heavy on monday, light on wed, medium on friday. Rep ranges don't change, only weight as a % of your max lift.

I have just been doing core work, power cleans, squats, bench, and row lately. Not powerlifter style as much as oly. I used to do clean and jerk but my shoulder did not like it, left subscap rotator cuff kept getting irritated.
John's got it right. Periodization is the key. Periodization can consist of 1-6 week cycles. The length if the training cycle should depend on the intensity of the training load.

The HIT training method and ascending a descending sets have not been shown to be any more effective than a warm-up followed with 3-6 sets at a prescribed intensity.

Here's a quick overview. Using these intensities will produce the following results. The intensities are listed as RMs (repetition maximum). A 12RM is a weight that you are only able to lift 12 times.

12-20RM, 30 sec rest, 1-3 sets = Endurance
6-12 RM, 1 minute rest, 4-6 sets = Hypertrophy (muscle size increase)
1-6RM, 3-5 minute rest, 3-6 sets = Strength Increase

This is the physiological rationale for periodizing a program that consists of 3 weeks at a 15RM, 4 weeks at a 10RM, 4 weeks at a 6RM and 1 week at a 2RM. You would then test for strength the following week. During the 3 weeks at a 15RM the body is conditioning its self for the more demanding work to come (tendons and ligaments are getting stronger). During the 4 weeks at 10RM the muscles are increasing in size creating the muscle needed for increased force output. Now that the muscle has increased in size you switch to the 6RM phase. At this point, because of the increase in training load your nervous system learns how to use the new muscle you've created. The last week is a chance for your body to get used to the very heavy weight you'll be using when testing for your max.

Rest is the key. If you are trying to gain strength by training with a 6RM or less load, you need to rest 3-5 minutes between sets. You are training your nervous system, and it takes 5 minutes for your creatine phosphate energy system to 95% recover. When training for strength and power you should feel fresh for every set.

There is so much bullsh!t in the gym and the magazines. Trust the science. Train smart. Hope this helps anyone interested in the topic.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON SUPPLEMENTS! MOST OF THEM DON'T WORK! (the legal ones) Eat well and get 8-9 hours of sleep and save the money for you crawler.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:43 AM   #25
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

kawika has done some homework!

The only thing I would add is that if you are training for a meet or event your training progression should peak your strength the week of the meet, but not push your body too far with heavy low rep work. Working on just strength necessitates a weekly unload too, the body can only take so much heavy work before it will start to regress from lack of recovery. Of course this is assuming a person that has been training smart and hard already.

As an aside, my chest grew the most when I started heavy deadlifts. Nothing to do with chest, but the extra stimulus on my body made all of me grow.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

I'm in a weight lifting /conditioning class right now and the first day we had the class we figured out our max bench weight. Then he created a workout that changes everyweek but we use a certain % of our max and a certain # of reps so in reality everybody works out equal. I went up 15lbs by this workout.
Mikekx65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika View Post
John's got it right. Periodization is the key. Periodization can consist of 1-6 week cycles. The length if the training cycle should depend on the intensity of the training load.

The HIT training method and ascending a descending sets have not been shown to be any more effective than a warm-up followed with 3-6 sets at a prescribed intensity.

Here's a quick overview. Using these intensities will produce the following results. The intensities are listed as RMs (repetition maximum). A 12RM is a weight that you are only able to lift 12 times.

12-20RM, 30 sec rest, 1-3 sets = Endurance
6-12 RM, 1 minute rest, 4-6 sets = Hypertrophy (muscle size increase)
1-6RM, 3-5 minute rest, 3-6 sets = Strength Increase

This is the physiological rationale for periodizing a program that consists of 3 weeks at a 15RM, 4 weeks at a 10RM, 4 weeks at a 6RM and 1 week at a 2RM. You would then test for strength the following week. During the 3 weeks at a 15RM the body is conditioning its self for the more demanding work to come (tendons and ligaments are getting stronger). During the 4 weeks at 10RM the muscles are increasing in size creating the muscle needed for increased force output. Now that the muscle has increased in size you switch to the 6RM phase. At this point, because of the increase in training load your nervous system learns how to use the new muscle you've created. The last week is a chance for your body to get used to the very heavy weight you'll be using when testing for your max.

Rest is the key. If you are trying to gain strength by training with a 6RM or less load, you need to rest 3-5 minutes between sets. You are training your nervous system, and it takes 5 minutes for your creatine phosphate energy system to 95% recover. When training for strength and power you should feel fresh for every set.

There is so much bullsh!t in the gym and the magazines. Trust the science. Train smart. Hope this helps anyone interested in the topic.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON SUPPLEMENTS! MOST OF THEM DON'T WORK! (the legal ones) Eat well and get 8-9 hours of sleep and save the money for you crawler.

Ok if we are talking about science part how many of you actually just read and not apply the science? If we are talking about science what about researching your body type first and knowing specifically what metabolic type you are first. Not everyone can follow the same training regimen because not two persons is alike. So science alone is just a guideline it goes back to experience.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #28

The science is called progressive overload. It workes on everybody no matter what the body type or age (assuming they eat and rest enough). There are many ways to add periodization to a workout, and Kawika just pointed out one way. Bill starr 5x5 dual factor, madcow single factor, HST, Westside, doggcrap, there are many routines out there for strength and size gain.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:49 PM   #29
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
What about Creatine? I have read a lot of praise about the gains while taking it. I can personally feel the difference in faster muscle recovery which allows me to work out the same muscle groups sooner.

It has definitely helped me lift my max with my favorite barbell.

badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

DoggCrapp.... Is the only way to go... Not ony will you bench go up, but every other lift will as well.... Every two weeks you will be getting stronger.

There are alot of Supplements out that do work. Or Can help break your plateu.

But my guess is. It's not your Work Out or your Supplements. I bet your not eating enough. Bump up or Cal's and Prot....

Last edited by run2jeepn; 11-17-2007 at 05:36 PM.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
DoggCrapp.... Is the only way to go... Not ony will you bench go up, but every other lift will as well.... Every two weeks you will be getting stronger.

But my guess is. It's not your Work Out or your Supplements. I bet your not eating enough. Bump up or Cal's and Prot....
I have to agree eat like a chicken look like a chicken. Eat the beef look like beef. Most people fear fat and think fat is the enemy. You need to keep consistent with not only red meat but calories need to be way over maintenance. Or at least 300 to 500 over maintenance. Or you could never make good gains in muscle or strength.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #32
Adilynsdad too!

The last time I lifted weights I pooped my pants...
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:17 PM   #33
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

these 3 words when your gettin busy:
Deca
Anadrol
Sustanon
Whoomp there it is.

then your hair falls out, and your nuts shrink,pimples and bitch tits. bummer.

oh yah BTW, you know your happy place you go to when things arent going well, that becomes non exsistant.
water is your buddy, unless you wanna piss sour cream.
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:21 PM   #34
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

Quote:
The science is called progressive overload. It workes on everybody no matter what the body type or age (assuming they eat and rest enough). There are many ways to add periodization to a workout, and Kawika just pointed out one way. Bill starr 5x5 dual factor, madcow single factor, HST, Westside, doggcrap, there are many routines out there for strength and size gain.
what about the crouch and push, or kneel and turd? i ve heard those lower abdominal exercises are also effective in their own respect.
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:31 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ok if we are talking about science part how many of you actually just read and not apply the science? If we are talking about science what about researching your body type first and knowing specifically what metabolic type you are first. Not everyone can follow the same training regimen because not two persons is alike. So science alone is just a guideline it goes back to experience.
Well, I do this for a living so I do apply the science. In respect to the basic guidelines regarding intensity, sets and rest, these apply to 99% of men and women. There is no such thing as a metabolic type. The definition of metabolism is the sum of all the chemical reaction going on in your body at one time. More importantly, a persons training experience, age and goals should be taking into consideration when designing a safe and effective program.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:38 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I agree. The problem I see is that people don't apply the simpler principals properly. When people come to me and have hit a plateau in their strength. They are almost always training with too much weight and too often. I reduce the intensity and volume and they get stronger. John are you an exercise phys major?
Old 11-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
What about Creatine? I have read a lot of praise about the gains while taking it. I can personally feel the difference in faster muscle recovery which allows me to work out the same muscle groups sooner.

It has definitely helped me lift my max with my favorite barbell.

Creatine works for some, but it doesn't aid in muscle recovery. The creatine phosphate energy system is the first used by the muscle during a contraction. The creatine phosphate molecule gives up its phosphate to ADP causing the formation of ATP (the molecule a muscle uses for energy) This creatine phosphate energy system produces energy the quickest and is the primary source during a 100m dash or 1-6RM set. Once that system is used up the muscle has to rely on a anaerobic glycolysis which takes longer to produce ATP and thus the muscle loses the ability to produce a maximum amount of force. So, supplementing with creatine gives you a larger reservoir of energy that can be used during that first 10 or seconds of lifting. It might allow you to squeeze out one extra rep. If you are a creatine responder, than it helps because it allows you to train at a higher intensity during your workout. It also brings in more water into the muscle, which some believe stimulates muscle growth. But, a lot of people lose the gains they made once they go off it.

I've noticed in my weight room that when a person decides to spend the money on supplements, that's not the only change in their routine. They start eating better, becoming more consistent, and asking me for advice on nutrition. Sure, some supplements work (mostly the illegal ones) but that is almost never the only variable that has changed.

Don't forget who owns the magazines "Muscle and Fiction ext". The supplement companies. It's a multibillion dollar industry. Are they required by law to back-up their claims? NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post

Name a few other than creatine and protein.

Quote:
I have to agree eat like a chicken look like a chicken. Eat the beef look like beef. Most people fear fat and think fat is the enemy. You need to keep consistent with not only red meat but calories need to be way over maintenance. Or at least 300 to 500 over maintenance. Or you could never make good gains in muscle or strength.
Carbohydrates are by far the most neglected macronutrient in the gym culture. Fear a lack of carbs! And 300 to 500 more calories a day is a reasonable amount over baseline.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #38

Quote:
John are you an exercise phys major?
No, I just bought a bunch of books from an exercise phys guy and have studied it most of my life. I am old school though, and can't stand machines for the most part. Squat, Bench, Row, OHP, Pullup, Cleans, and deadlift seem to be enough outside of rotator cuff and midsection work. I rarely get above a fitness level where I have to depart from single factor progression, once my big lift numbers get close to 1.5x my bodyweight I seem to either get injured doing something unrelated or my life gets in the way otherwise. I also don't eat enough for my metabolism speed. Just last week I got sick for 3 days and lost 10 pounds. Back to 150 again

Fearing carbs- I tried that once and lost more weight than I gained even with 200gms of protein a day. If I can't store a bit more water and sugar I can't seem to gain muscle.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 11-18-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #39
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Creatine works for some, but it doesn't aid in muscle recovery.

It also brings in more water into the muscle, which some believe stimulates muscle growth.
??? Isn't one of the first things your supposed to do when working out is drink tons of water to help prevent injury? How does a product such as Creatine which supplies much needed water (and protein) to your body not aid in muscle recovery?

I'm not trying to argue here as I clearly don't have the knowledge on this subject as you and JRH seem to have. I am also not a power lifter, I work out just to maintain and try to strengthen my lower back.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:33 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
??? Isn't one of the first things your supposed to do when working out is drink tons of water to help prevent injury? How does a product such as Creatine which supplies much needed water (and protein) to your body not aid in muscle recovery?

I'm not trying to argue here as I clearly don't have the knowledge on this subject as you and JRH seem to have. I am also not a power lifter, I work out just to maintain and try to strengthen my lower back.
Water is great. Your body needs to be hydrated to function properly. In respect to preventing injury, not directly. Dehydration can lead to cramping. Creatine doesn't supply water. If you take creatine, you'll need to increase the amount of water you'd normally need because of the added creatine in your muscle cells. One of the side effects of creatine use is muscle cramping which is attributed to this need for more water.

Creatine doesn't supply any protein. If you are lacking in protein, it will take longer to recover and your muscles won't grow. In the US that is almost impossible with a "normal diet". You don't really need anymore than 2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. Marathon runners need more protein than bodybuilders do to maintain muscle mass. The supplements that really aid in recovery increase the size of your muscles but decrease the size of your testicles.

You're not arguing. This is a good discussion on an important topic.