Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Gas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Gas

With gas prices going the way they are, I decided to add this tip. When I am driving, and I see a light turn red that is a good distance in front of me, I let off of the throttle, and let the car coast, it slows itself down. If the light turns green, and if I time it right, the cars take off, and I go right along. This way, I don't use even more fuel taking off from a standstill, which is when cars use a lot more. I save gas, and wear on brake disks/pads. Anybody have any other ideas/tips to share?
john alardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2007, 09:56 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

you can alway ride a bike, that saves gas!! lol
scalerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

And coast to a stop to conserve the brake pads! Bikes are a good alt. for short-trips, and to exercise, though.
john alardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

get a moped or a motorcycle, or something, ive been thinking of selling my 87 daytona for a streetbike of some sort cause of cas
scalerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:05 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Lose anything roof mounted you don't need (spare tire, lights, rack, etc), ditch any dead weight inside (car audio, tools, parts, etc...), check tire pressure, and drive like you got a raw egg between your foot and the pedal.

Doing all of these things, I got my mileage up to 4-7 city, 14-16 highway.
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
I lost my vendor privileges

i get great gas milage in the V8 S-10.lol drove it to the comp last Sunday. 11/11

took $60 in gas to go there and back. wow but had a blast.

i get about 8-9mpg or is it gallons per mile.lmao
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
Lose anything roof mounted you don't need (spare tire, lights, rack, etc), ditch any dead weight inside (car audio, tools, parts, etc...), check tire pressure, and drive like you got a raw egg between your foot and the pedal.

Doing all of these things, I got my mileage up to 4-7 city, 14-16 highway.
Holy crap!

The Z71 gets 13 in town and 19 on the highway.

I get 14 on the highway towing the crawler hauler.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thats the costs associated with driving what can be compared to a rolling brick. I still need to pull my roof rack and CB antenna off, but I already lost about 220lbs of extra weight (audio system, hi-lift, aux. lighting, and all but the most basic emergency supplies) and the spare has been relocated to the floor of the cargo area. The XJ looks kinda bare now, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I did manage to get 32mpg for a few seconds one time while going downhill drafting a semi.
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I take my girlfriend out alot more than my wife. She is 110 and the wife 175. That's 65lbs towards better gas mileage
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:21 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Every one knows that changing your air filter helps our cars run better and there fore more efficiently. I just bought a used 2000 Nissan Infiniti I30. Was getting 26.5 mpg. Then mileage started dropping off (23.4) and I soon had a check engine light come on. Had the code checked (free thanks too Auto Zone) it showed (bank 1 air sensor) which is located in the front left manifold (looking at the motor from the front of the car). My point is when doing maintenance on your cars read the manual. My manual said to change the air sensors every 50,000 miles. I didn't know that and the car has 106,000 miles on it now.These air sensors are maniditory on most new cars today. Oh, the sensor cost $103.99 I haven't changed it yet and that da*n light is still on, need to disconect the battery cable to turn it off. Been lazy.
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:27 PM   #11
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Some tuners will help with mileage as well, especially with diesels.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:27 PM   #12
RCC Addict

When I was looking into info on my mom's car, before she bought it, I found out about some extreme milage "freaks". They call it hypermiling, if that's spelled correctly. Probably spelled wrong due to it not being a real word. Anyway, the place it turned up at was a topic on tire pressure. Long story short, this guy was running 60+ psi in the tires on his Toyota Yaris. On top of that, he would occasionally turn the vehicle off while coasting downhill. There were other disturbing little tricks these people do to up their milage numbers. I think the one that would annoy me the most is they average around 45mph. That just won't cut it for me. Anyway, if you want a good laugh look up hypermile or hypermiling, or however this ficticous word is spelled.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:30 PM   #13
RCC Addict

check your tire pressure regularly. makes an amazing difference.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:42 PM   #14
Oppan Gangnam Style

Say your car is in the shop.... bum a ride from a co-worker. My tip of the day.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:50 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
Long story short, this guy was running 60+ psi in the tires on his Toyota Yaris.
60psi is stupidly high. My tires are rated for a 50psi max. And when he has that much pressure in there, it'll be like driving on pizza cutters. The tires will be so blown up that he will have such little contact with the road, taking a turn just a little too fast can be a bad bad mistake. Not to mention that they will wear out insanely fast, and when he lowers the pressure back down, they will be cupped.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:53 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I drive a brick 54 miles per day... When the fuel light comes on, I put gas in. I have basicly given up trying to save a penny here and there. I noticed that gas is above $3 per gallon here the other day... I guess it has been that way for a while too. Just shows that I don't look any more. Just get gas and go.

If I wanted good mileage for cheap, I'd go buy a '87 Honda CRX....
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:20 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
60psi is stupidly high. My tires are rated for a 50psi max. And when he has that much pressure in there, it'll be like driving on pizza cutters. The tires will be so blown up that he will have such little contact with the road, taking a turn just a little too fast can be a bad bad mistake. Not to mention that they will wear out insanely fast, and when he lowers the pressure back down, they will be cupped.
Like I said, it's rediculous and I don't condone it. Was just an example of how people will take anything to an extreme, even mpg. I will say that the argument was interesting. Maybe at the insane level of 60 psi, yaris stock tires are rated at 44psi max cold. The guy also claimed to get over 60k miles on the stock bridgestones with even tread wear while running 60 psi the whole time. One thing I do know from driving the car is this, at 36 psi and the tires being so narrow, and the car so light, it is very easy to skid in the rain. So at 60 psi, I don't want the guy driving anywhere near me or my family. Also would rather he wasn't around when his engine is shut off and he's just coasting around.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Location: Ramstein Air Base Germany ...ya Ive been Ramshafted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACCO View Post
I take my girlfriend out alot more than my wife. She is 110 and the wife 175. That's 65lbs towards better gas mileage

LMAO!!!!!! Thats a good morning laugh right there!
CCFBERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
I drive a brick 54 miles per day... When the fuel light comes on, I put gas in. I have basicly given up trying to save a penny here and there. I noticed that gas is above $3 per gallon here the other day... I guess it has been that way for a while too. Just shows that I don't look any more. Just get gas and go.

If I wanted good mileage for cheap, I'd go buy a '87 Honda CRX....

I've been doing that in the pickup for the last 4 years
OIT_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:30 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Default Thanks Guys

I checked my tire pressure after reading this earlier, good thing i did too! My front times were down to 29.5psi and rear were at 31.5psi on my XJ, I usually run 35-36psi.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote