Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 07 tacoma lift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2007, 03:24 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 07 tacoma lift

i decided not to go with a 6" lift (parking issue's) and go with a 3" coil over up front and a aal in back. im trying to decide between donahoe racing or fabtech and was wondering if anyone had experience with these brands before and could give me some feedback on what is better for my money. i looked at there sites but you know how it goes, they say their products are the best from everyone else. any response would be helpful. will be doing mild off roading and going in the sand a lot if this helps. thanks'
goingvertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2007, 03:49 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Bu, the 6" kit is not that high..My cuzin has a 6" Fabtech on his 07 and its not higher then mines..and I fit in most parking structures here......Id go with the 6"..Now if you were SASing it..then id go with a 4-5"!!!....Just my mana'o..Im sure soe of these guys will be able to share some feedback
AIPOHAKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:36 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

some of the older office buildings i have to visit the clearance bar is to low for a 6", and some of the up/down ramps i would have problems clearing. what is the total height of your truck? i seen it up close and it's pretty tall.

Last edited by goingvertical; 11-21-2007 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Be a man and cut the fenders and relocate that forward cab mount so a bigger tire will fit.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Between the two, i'd use donahoe, and get full leaves in the rear rather than add-a-leaves... It'll ride/articulate better.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

^ x2 - Add-a-leavs suck ass. They sag way too fast and ride like crap. Get a whole new leaf pack.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
Sinking with the ship

I have fabtechs in the front of my 97 taco with the 6" traildisaster kit. They have been doing well with no issues. I also would recommend a new leaf pack, I have a block right now and its terrible...I get horrible axle wrap.. I have new 4.5" springs for it, just have no time to put them in
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

yup, add-a-leafs are *almost* as bad as block lifts, which are at the top of my "stupid things to do to a truck" list.

Get full leafs and longer shackles if you want good ride AND articulation. they cost more (obviously) but are WAY worth it. Don't get coil spacers, either. Go for the adjustable coilovers like bilstiens or something. My brother has those on his taco and loves them.

Carefull lifting, though. Lost of people think the only way to get good offroad capability is to put a huge lift on and huge tires. Wrong. Toyofast is right, cut the fenders, and some fab'ing will go a lot longer than a big lift with tires. Unless you're just going for looks, then add 10 or 20 remote res. shocks while you're at it! lol
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
, just have no time to put them in
You want me to come up there for the weekend? Crawl,and do some work on the 1:1?
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:36 PM   #10

Before you get that lift on, you may want to get the new 4 leaf spring packs that Toyota has a TSB out on for new Tacomas. They are also replacing certain models with new Bilsteins. The stock 3 leaf pack will sag in no time if you use the bed for anything. With the new pack, you'll get an extra 1-1.5 inches. You may not need anything else. Reminds me of GM building their trucks after they get sold through warrnaty work. Really, Toyota should just install the new leafs from the get go. One reason I like my 03 Dcab, no issues. BTW, there is a tailgate TSB as well.

See here:http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75838
TRD Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:45 PM   #11
PapaGriz Yo

Do not buy Donahoe!

My dad ordered new springs for his 06 Taco from them through the local 4wd shop. The springs did not fit or lift the truck properly. When we contacted Donahoe they told us that the springs were made for them by another company and if they were wrong we would have to talk to them. They both refused to refund his money or even help fix the problem so dad had to eat the springs. Donahoe sucks ass.

We ended up getting a set of springs from National Spring. I've had Nationals on my Bronc for years and love them.

http://www.nationalsprings.com/

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 11-21-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:46 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I have Fab Tech on my taco and like it. Its 5" suspi. I have coildovers on the front.
John Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default Fabtech or Donahoe

I sell both manf. kits for the last five years . It all comes down to what do you want . What tire size do you want to run and are you going to dew a gear change . I have an 06 prerunner with 305 x 75 x 17 with a rev tech spacer .
I can say that donahoe has gone to a new spring man. I have had five kits on back order , talked to them on mon springs are dew in this week . ready to ship out end of week first part of next . and one of the kits is for mine .
fabtech was good a few years ago R & D wise now they just want to sell products not much customer service vendor wise I have problems with about
2 out of 5 kits from them .
CRAWLIN 4 FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

www.ttora.com

if you want real advice from the guys that know there shit

id say donahoe, and have heard complete oposite on customer service, i have yet to order my set but im gonna use nothing else and wouldnt never even consider fagtech! hoe's are specifically designed and valved for your truck and offroading/street applications fabtech uses i believe a linear valving like sways but the hoes use a digressive valving, whitch means better control on the street and doing highspeed runs through the desert. the valving gets progressivly softer as it cycles through its range so when your on the street its nice and stiff then offroad it softens up, wear as the fabtechs will be soft on the street and hard when you run the desert, consiquently tho the fabtechs will be better for jumping your junk, but i dont really know if you want to do that with the weak frames and motor mount issues

again this is the first time i've ever heard anything bad about danahoes customer service but i've heard thousands of positives from ttora

go to the site and do some research and if you cant answer your own question using the search button there then you shouldnt be working on your truck or even desiding what you should use (unless of course you have a specific question that hasnt been answered before, 9 outta 10 times your answer is a 5 min search away)
extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme View Post
www.ttora.com

if you want real advice from the guys that know there shit
X2
or,crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Offroad View Post
Before you get that lift on, you may want to get the new 4 leaf spring packs that Toyota has a TSB out on for new Tacomas. They are also replacing certain models with new Bilsteins. The stock 3 leaf pack will sag in no time if you use the bed for anything. With the new pack, you'll get an extra 1-1.5 inches. You may not need anything else. Reminds me of GM building their trucks after they get sold through warrnaty work. Really, Toyota should just install the new leafs from the get go. One reason I like my 03 Dcab, no issues. BTW, there is a tailgate TSB as well.

See here:http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75838

Being that I work a Toyota dealership... I can honestly say that all the issues with the trucks are due to them being made in the USA. Keep the building in Japan and the trucks will be much better.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #17
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
You want me to come up there for the weekend? Crawl,and do some work on the 1:1?
Come on up, your more then welcome to, I got a sick garage full of tools... I just know its gonna be a PIA, and Im sure shiat is gonna be frozen... I bought all new u bolts and hardware just for that reason.. I still need to order shackles from downey though, I can 1/1/2 drop shackle set for what it cost to get one stock side from Toyota and thats with my employee discount.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

yeah, as for the tailgate issue the dealer told me that the gate had to be bent(if there was a heavy load on it while it was in the down position.) in order for them to do anything. from what i hear it's some sort of reinforcement that prevent's that . don't know why it has to be damaged first before anything is done. thier theory is: if it's not broken why fix it
Old 11-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #19
RCC Addict

i'm not a toyota man yet, but what about these guys:

www.allprooffroad.com

there stuff seems decent
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
i'm not a toyota man yet, but what about these guys:

www.allprooffroad.com

there stuff seems decent
i run all pro coilovers on my '05........no problems with them. 3.5" in the front and 3" in the rear (blocks for now, got the new leaves in the back of the house. got to make time for install). got 33" pro comp a/t's and no rubbing. ask young-version and shut d's about how it is on the off road............they'll vouch on how it is . i'll post pics later.

jt, good luck on the lift...........i would go with the 3" lift instead, i clear alot of parking structures.
RydeFab is offline   Reply With Quote