Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: public land regulations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default public land regulations?

Ok so here in larimer county all public open spaces and parks have a no rc of any kind rule. Today was the first I have heard of this. Anyone else in colorado have problems with this? If so what have you done about it and are there any way to get this changed? Just thought I would ask.

Thanks
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
MODERHATER™

Default Re: public land regulations?

Yup most State Parks and Open Spaces are that way. I've tried to get permission in several to no avail.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Same down in the springs according to the parks and rec dept by the statute does not support a ban against surface RCs.....take a look to see if your area has the same loophole.

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #4
No idea what I'm doing

It's a blanket policy. No RC keeps the aviation folks out but it also keeps surface vehicles out too. I was out with friends one day and that's how the ranger explained it. She was pretty cool and let us finish our day, but made it clear to not come back.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:35 AM   #5

Never been bothered by a ranger at Horsetooth. Kinda stupid to ban RCs though, my crawler tears up the terrain less than hiking boots or mountain bikes
mrfajita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
RCC Addict

So my understanding is that certain areas have to be open to accommodate all recreational activities. Such as there trail for hiking only, others are for biking and horses and also have to acomidate 4 wheelers, motorcycle, and off road vehicles. So for them to ban one outdoor hobby is against what they say to be accommodations for all users. I also understand that they have to open certain areas if there are none available for use. I guess if you wanted to find out how to go about this it could be done. I think it would be awesome if the county had to open rc parks to accommodate us as they do have skateboard parks acomidate skaters and such. Lol just trying to keep it fair for all..right!
Old 01-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
Gettin’ back on the horse

Except if they opened RC parks like they do skateparks most of them would suck.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Except if they opened RC parks like they do skateparks most of them would suck.
So true.. lol
Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I assume we're talking about BLM land when we say "public lands"?

I live in Buena Vista. I've been told by the town's park & rec director that I could run rc events on BLM land. There are two rules though, no more than 70 people, and it can't be a "sponsored competition." Is the director wrong about this? From what I'd reading it seems like there's a state law that bans surface rc?
bvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

What I have learned is that if you go on a trail run...take a kid. We were at Garden of the Gods when a park ranger comes to us saying "oh man look at the little man go, you fellas have a good day and please TRY to stay on the trail",and that place is probably one of the most strict places in Colorado. I'm not saying is right ,or to go out and have kids just stating what I have seen...ain't nobody gonna tell a little boy/girl to stop playing toy trucks.

Also, bikes oh them bikes...we got tire "grooves" 1.5' deep in granite rock in some places in Palmer Park...I don't care who you are no RC would do that...even if you drove it over the same line for years.

So yes it's pretty lame the whole state hates our little trucks..
Crawlorado719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlorado719 View Post
and that place is probably one of the most strict places in Colorado. I'm not saying is right ,or to go out and have kids just stating what I have seen...ain't nobody gonna tell a little boy/girl to stop playing toy trucks.
You need to come up to this part of town. There are parks in Denver that won't even let you get out of your car with a frisbee in your hand let alone a RC vehicle and they don't care how old you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlorado719 View Post
Also, bikes oh them bikes...we got tire "grooves" 1.5' deep in granite rock in some places in Palmer Park...I don't care who you are no RC would do that...even if you drove it over the same line for years.
Wanna bet? There are lines at Red Rocks that were run in 2 comps 2 years ago that have been severely rutted and completely changed by RC crawlers. Blanket statements based on assumptions can be detrimental to the forward progress of things. Just saying, while it may not be as strict down by you or you think RC vehicles don't cause damage, its just not true and has been proven.

However I will agree a bike can potentially cause more damage over the course of time and the fact that the wind will do similar damage as a RC vehicle over time it is often ignorance that gets things banned. Bringing things to town council meets could potentially help. I think most adults see RC as nitro powered monster trucks that break ankles.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I have read the "Stated statute" and it does not reference surface RCs...it references airborne RCs...in a sense. Talks about "throwing, propelling, self propelled through the air etc. But, if the Project manager says no, you gotta stop. If you choose to push the issue and they call the cops, you will find out rather quickly that law doesn't pertain to surface. Now they can make you leave simply because they no longer want you on the site - that they can do.

So, again I say, If you dig deep to get permission, you will run into people that will tell you NO! At that point, if you are caught, you will be in trouble for "knowing" and doing it anyway.

Find out what the law says and find out what the rules of the park say. If nothing says you cant drive your surface RC, "HAMMER DOWN"!!!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote

public land regulations? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keep public lands open to the Public! Del Montess Chit Chat 6 03-02-2011 10:22 PM
New regulations possible for flying with lithium batteries HomerJ Chit Chat 9 10-10-2010 10:05 AM
********competition regulations********* xxinterboyxx Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 05-12-2009 02:38 AM
2.2 regulations SpikeX Newbie General 1 03-28-2009 10:34 PM
Will I be within 2.2 width regulations with these rims??? chino Tamiya Clod Buster 4 03-11-2008 08:50 PM