Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: building a bagged truck. based off of trophy truck Need advice asap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Exclamation building a bagged truck. based off of trophy truck Need advice asap

Long time no talk. Been out of the hobby for a while. But. I'm coming back strong with a bagged truck build.
I need advice from Yeti/yeti Jr owners. Or any builder for that matter.
I am getting a body built to match my real truck. A 1988 Chevy 2500 extended cab long bed. It also has wide body.
Being that the truck is 21' long and about 7.4' wide.
Exact 1/10 wont work. So. I'm thinking about getting either the Yeti or Yeti Jr.
The Yeti is 12" wide. The Jr is 8.9 wide.
Should I get the body built bigger and use the yeti. Or built smaller and use the Jr?
If it were 1/10 scale. The body would be 21" long and 7.4" wide...
It tucks 22x12" wheels into the fenders with the wide body so I was planning to run 2.2s or something similar.
Would 2.2s fit on a Jr? Hub wise?

I think if I got the Jr. It would be around 9.5" wide with 2.2s. Can anyone confirm this for me please.
If not. This is gonna be a huge build. I'll upload a couple pics of the real truck in just a few.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: building a bagged truck. based off of trophy truck Need advice asap

I usually start with the tires I want to use first. I base my scale on that, and then build from there.

Once you have your tires scaled, have the body built to that scale and then decide on the rest.

I'm not sure what type of rig you're trying to build, but a Yeti is a bit of an extreme platform to base a Chevy 2500 extended cab, long bed build on don't you think?

*EDIT I just noticed your title said this was based off of a Trophy Truck. Ignore what I said about the Yeti.

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 02-17-2017 at 01:27 PM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I usually start with the tires I want to use first. I base my scale on that, and then build from there.

Once you have your tires scaled, have the body built to that scale and then decide on the rest.

I'm not sure what type of rig you're trying to build, but a Yeti is a bit of an extreme platform to base a Chevy 2500 extended cab, long bed build on don't you think?

*EDIT I just noticed your title said this was based off of a Trophy Truck. Ignore what I said about the Yeti.
I went ahead and ordered the yeti Jr TT.
I got 2.2 drift wheels and tires on the way.
Hex size is the same at 12mm.
From my guesstimates it should make it about 8" wide. So. I'm planning to have the body be 8 1/2" wide and around 21" long.

My friend brought the idea of drift wheels to mind. I think its going to work really well. I'll keep this thread updated with the progress.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Btw. I chose the yeti TT because its IFS front and solid rear axle. Like my truck. ��
Old 02-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

This is what I'm building.

Last edited by kronik; 02-17-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I think your specs are off. the extended cab long bed c2500 is 236.5" or 19' 8-1/2" long and 76" or 6' 4" wide at the front fenders(the rear fenders on the truck you pictured are wider)

That would mean that the body for the truck you're building would need to be 23.6" long and 7.6" wide at the front fenders with a 15.5" wheelbase.

the Yeti Jr' is 5.6" wide measuring hex-to-hex on the outside. that should work with 2.2's if you have the right offset, but the ackerman angle is going to have to be tweaked to get it to turn if you want to tuck wheels the same as the 1:1
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
I think your specs are off. the extended cab long bed c2500 is 236.5" or 19' 8-1/2" long and 76" or 6' 4" wide at the front fenders(the rear fenders on the truck you pictured are wider)

That would mean that the body for the truck you're building would need to be 23.6" long and 7.6" wide at the front fenders with a 15.5" wheelbase.

the Yeti Jr' is 5.6" wide measuring hex-to-hex on the outside. that should work with 2.2's if you have the right offset, but the ackerman angle is going to have to be tweaked to get it to turn if you want to tuck wheels the same as the 1:1
Those are stock measurements. I did some actual measuring today. The truck is wide body so its just about 10" wider than stock. Front and back.
I'll post my measurements in a few when my son passes out.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Measurements. Only one that's off is the front width. Its a little bit wider. About 3'-4'. Total. I took the top edge measurement.

building a bagged truck. based off of trophy truck Need advice asap - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XL Trophy Truck? smitty2919 Axial Yeti XL 12 03-13-2020 06:29 PM
JPRC Redbull Trophy Truck VS Score Trophy Truck STRC Upgrade joerc2013 Axial Yeti 10 11-13-2015 11:06 AM
Rc trophy truck desertmaxx Non Crawler RC's 18 09-08-2010 07:09 PM
sc/trophy truck foxposi_150 Non Crawler RC's 8 09-05-2010 11:43 PM
Trophy Truck VS Stadium Truck? KROGOTH Chit Chat 14 08-21-2009 09:18 PM