Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, and Help

Notices

Thread: Full Native support for Iphone on RCC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

No problem

Yeah, I went ahead and downloaded that app anyway when I first saw it. I thought surely there was some feature included that I missed and would make it worthwhile.. Not quite though..
HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #22

If you guys do decide to add it to the site could you put it out to everyone. I have limited internet so I miss more then I like. This is one thing that I don't want to miss. Then I wont miss as much either.

Thanks
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

I know tapatalk is on Pirate 4x4 and it is a WAY bigger Forum
jeepcj776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #24
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcj776 View Post
I know tapatalk is on Pirate 4x4 and it is a WAY bigger Forum
I've been using tapatalk and Vbulletin's new app on my iPhone to test functionality and ease of use and so far I like VB's app better. For instance with tapatalk when I'm reading a thread and get down to the bottom of the page you have to tap on the next page number to go to the next page, some times after it loads the new page it starts me at the bottom of the page and not at the top where it should.

The biggest difference between tapatalk and VB's app is:
  • Tapatalk is free for me to install on the server but costs each one RCC's members $2.99 if they don't already own it for another forum.
  • VBulletin's new app costs me $200 +$99 yearly renewel to get a copy designed for RCC but is free to download for RCC's members.

Has anyone else tested/used both? What are your thoughts?

Last edited by badger; 01-26-2011 at 12:16 PM.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #25
RCC Addict

I like tapatalk,,,,use it on pirate4x4 all the time. If it costs RCC nothing then why not?
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #26
R.I.P. Chip

Because if we could pay a small amount and have a much better product it'd make more sense.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
I like tapatalk,,,,use it on pirate4x4 all the time. If it costs RCC nothing then why not?
So far from the testing I've done with tapatalk and the VB mobile app I like almost everything better with the VB mobile app.

Some big differences to me are:
  1. Tapatalk stores image attachments on thier hosted server, vbulletin stores image attachments in the forum just as it would if your using a web browser.
  2. The VB app allows you to view your albums, create new albums and upload pics into your albums. You cannot do anything with your albums with tapatalk.
  3. Tapatalk allows you to view who is online and send PM's to members, VB's app does not allow you to view who's online and if you want to PM someone you need to know their screen name to type it in the messages section, it does not pull up a list of member names as you type to help you out.
  4. VB's app has more search features then tapatalk's search, for instance you can search for threads/posts by username.

Like Jason said, if we can spend a little money to give our members a better mobile experience on RCC then we will.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #28
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
.[*]Tapatalk allows you to view who is online and send PM's to members, VB's app does not allow you to view who's online and if you want to PM someone you need to know their screen name to type it in the messages section, it does not pull up a list of member names as you type to help you out.
is that a good thing or not? to me I would think you would want that?

and why is it when I quote you it looks nothing like your Post? it's all HTML or something
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #29
Got Worms?

I've spent a ton of money on stupid apps, i'm sure another 2.99 would hurt...but i don't know about tapatalk and vb app, i just want something more user friendly for my phone,.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
is that a good thing or not? to me I would think you would want that?

and why is it when I quote you it looks nothing like your Post? it's all HTML or something
Quote:
  1. Tapatalk allows you to view who is online and send PM's to members, VB's app does not allow you to view who's online and if you want to PM someone you need to know their screen name to type it in the messages section, it does not pull up a list of member names as you type to help you out.
Yes that is a good thing (+ for tapatalk - for VB's app), yes it would be nice to have that feature but I think I personally enjoy using the VB app over the Tapatalk app right now.

No my post was not HTML, I just used the LIST BB code and when you quoted my post and took out everything but that one list item which needs the opening and closing LIST tags
PHP Code:
[LIST][/LIST] 
Old 01-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #31
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Yes that is a good thing (+ for tapatalk - for VB's app), yes it would be nice to have that feature but I think I personally enjoy using the VB app over the Tapatalk app right now.

No my post was not HTML, I just used the LIST BB code and when you quoted my post and took out everything but that one list item which needs the opening and closing LIST tags
PHP Code:
[LIST][/LIST] 
Learn something new every day I would love to have some sort of app on my droid to make all this all easier on my phone
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #32

I have a droid so its not the same vbulletin as for the iphone. Vbulletin is very confusing for the droid as where tapatalk you can search for forums. It has a list of your favorite ones too. My vote is for the tapatalk (from a droid point of view)
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #33

I already use Tapatalk for three other forums, so that would be my choice.
Righty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #34
RCC Addict

There are definitely pro's and con's to both. Tapatalk seem like the industry standard but if VB yields a better quality product then I say go for VB. I would personally like to see an app that is RCC branded with proper colors and all.

I have a pooPhone4
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Im not real sure how the creating apps things works, but if ya did one for Rcc and it costed $2.99 would the proceeds (or some of) go to Rcc??
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #36

We just rolled out tapatalk on our texas boards (http://www.txrcrca.com) and I can say I like it a lot. I'm still playing with it and while I don't thinks it's a substitute for a full web browser experience, it is VERY convenient on the go! Definitely glad we have it there. I would love to have it on this site too.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:53 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
We just rolled out tapatalk on our texas boards (http://www.txrcrca.com) and I can say I like it a lot. I'm still playing with it and while I don't thinks it's a substitute for a full web browser experience, it is VERY convenient on the go! Definitely glad we have it there. I would love to have it on this site too.
I couldn't agree more!
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Any update? I hate browsing rcc in safari.
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

I use tapatalk on xda-developers.com and my personal forum, and it works great on my droid X. I haven't ran into anything I wanted to do and couldn't. Just took a little bit to discover where all the features are. I'm also using it on my 10" Viewsonic G-tablet running Vegan-Tab5.11 and it works fantastic. I would run both of the plugins if you can. People with tapatalk will want to use it and other will like the VB setup. Most of the more complicated tasks that tapatalk won't do are things I want to do with my desktop machine anyhow. But if the VB native app is cool (and badger approved! ) then I would happily use that. It is nice to be able to read through posts etc when I'm killing time, etc. As far as tapatalk goes on the admin side, I only have to update occasionally via a quick ftp up and script run. Nothing complicated so far. Just got one this morning, but I'm lazy today. Glad to see you guys open to the idea, and thanks as always for all the work! Have a good one.

Cheers,

Rob
rdtshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #40

I use Tapatalk on Pirate4x4.com and love it. They are a LARGE board. Any updates on if we can get this going here? Thanks
nwflyj is offline   Reply With Quote