Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: Course ideas for the Nationals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #21
'08 2.2 National Champ

While I think it's an awesome idea for the Street class I think it takes a bit away from the scaleness of the Trail class because of huge tires mounted awkwardly on crawlers that even in 1:1 might not carry a spare. Whatever you do though I'll be there excited to crawl with a tire mounted if needed

Last edited by Just Zach; 03-14-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2010, 12:20 AM   #22
Say hello to my dactylion

So... I'm getting -10 points for carrying a spare on one course and changing it out during my run wasting time. The spare can be the exact same tire/wheel I run on my rig. So really, when it comes down to it, I get -10 bonus on one of the courses for wasting some time.

I'm I understanding this right?
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:50 AM   #23
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming View Post
Tire change Sounds like an awesome idea with me, my rig has two full size matching spares already. As for winching my rig is too heavy at 12lbs for any free hanging winching and I wouldn't be willing to risk it for points anyway. With the type of trucks I build I found most of the courses were much to difficult last year since My only emphasis in building a scale rig is that it look like a real truck and drive doing obstacles that look scale appropriate, and not obstacles just trying to be difficult or unrealistic for what a real rational off-roader would attempt. The rigs I am building this year are going to be even more "lightly modded stock truck" scale looking than my Land Rover last year so whether or not they can even make one gate I'm sticking to the total scale look regardless of the courses, it will be fun to try sticking to my scale guns anyway.
I agree with wyoming here. If we want to negate the advantages of a "cheater" rig, a great way to do that would be to make courses that the "concourse" scale rigs can finish with a decent score. If the courses are too tough the "concourse" rigs suffer and the "cheater" rigs can whittle away at the scale points advantage.

I was not there last year but imo a free hanging winch obstacle up a vertical cliff is only going to give the "cheater" rigs an advantage. Would I do it? Sure, because I know my winch can pull me up but such is not the case for all the guys trying to stick to the scale intention of this event.

I think the spare tire thing is a great idea. I don't know if I'll do it since who the heck carries a 47" spare on their rig?

The courses in 2008 were excellent because they were not crazy hard and they made you think about creative driving and winching. That's the kind of thing that will get a 30 point rig into the finals; and isn't that what we want to see?
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zach View Post
While I think it's an awesome idea for the Street class I think it takes a bit away from the scaleness of the Trail class because of huge tires mounted awkwardly on crawlers that even in 1:1 might not carry a spare. Whatever you do though I'll be there excited to crawl with a tire mounted if needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
I think the spare tire thing is a great idea. I don't know if I'll do it since who the heck carries a 47" spare on their rig?
x3. My TJ won't be carrying a spare, would look ridiculous on there. Haven't figured out the true scale, but the tires come out somewhere between a 47" and 54" tire. Not really feasible to change that size tire on the trail for 1:1, so I think the scale class should reflect that. While I won't be entering the street class, my Blazer does carry a spare and it does look pretty much like it belongs on there, so I do think it's a great idea for this class.

Quote:
The courses in 2008 were excellent because they were not crazy hard and they made you think about creative driving and winching. That's the kind of thing that will get a 30 point rig into the finals; and isn't that what we want to see?
Sounds good to me. I definitely tried to build my rig so that it's capable, but when it came to the decision of scale vs. capability, I chose scale every time.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat View Post
So... I'm getting -10 points for carrying a spare on one course and changing it out during my run wasting time. The spare can be the exact same tire/wheel I run on my rig. So really, when it comes down to it, I get -10 bonus on one of the courses for wasting some time.

I'm I understanding this right?
No Pinchy, you get a +10 for being an ass .

The reason you get a -10 is for carrying a spare, which is going to throw off your COG, plus you have to take the time to change it, plus you have to drive with the spare for half the course. This causes you to decide if you want a full size spare, or carry a lighter smaller spare. It basically makes you have to think a little, which should give me an advantage over you .
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Tim... I don't care how you lay out the courses, just make sure to have room for the "media" folks. The 2010 MSD Nats will be in full HD this year from me
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #27
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post

The reason you get a -10 is for carrying a spare, which is going to throw off your COG, plus you have to take the time to change it, plus you have to drive with the spare for half the course. This causes you to decide if you want a full size spare, or carry a lighter smaller spare. It basically makes you have to think a little, which should give me an advantage over you .
Ok, I wasn't thinking of a smaller spare. That makes it a bit more intriuging. So in theory I could carry a 1.9 Rok Lox as a spare if I wanted to try finishing the course with it on. I guess I will plan for a spare at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Tim... I don't care how you lay out the courses, just make sure to have room for the "media" folks. The 2010 MSD Nats will be in full HD this year from me
We need to have rigs lined up along the course like you had at TTC. That was awesome. Everyone should bring some "action figures" to put as fans cheering the drivers on. I'm bringing my own posse.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ok, I wasn't thinking of a smaller spare. That makes it a bit more intriuging. So in theory I could carry a 1.9 Rok Lox as a spare if I wanted to try finishing the course with it on. I guess I will plan for a spare at least.
Yep, any legal scale tire can be used as a spare for this course. If you want you can use a 1.55 wheel/tire combo as a spare for the tire change course, you just have to consider that you have to drive the last 5 gates with it on your truck.....you also will have to drive with your 2.2 RokLox on your truck for the last 5 gates.....that's where it gets interesting. Is the -10 really worth it?

Quote:
We need to have rigs lined up along the course like you had at TTC. That was awesome. Everyone should bring some "action figures" to put as fans cheering the drivers on. I'm bringing my own posse.
Every time I see those videos (and the trucks in the back ground) I get a smile on my face, soo cool.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #29
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Yep, any legal scale tire can be used as a spare for this course. If you want you can use a 1.55 wheel/tire combo as a spare for the tire change course, you just have to consider that you have to drive the last 5 gates with it on your truck.....you also will have to drive with your 2.2 RokLox on your truck for the last 5 gates.....that's where it gets interesting. Is the -10 really worth it?
I can see where skimping on a spare too much would really come back and bite you. Like you said, it's a balance. If it's worth it at all.
Quote:
Every time I see those videos (and the trucks in the back ground) I get a smile on my face, soo cool.
Me too. I was showing it to Ace ad he thought that was a great touch as well.

What about a rig rescue for a bonus? Have a rolled over rig in a tight situation and the bonus would be for righting the rig and getting it back on the trail. It would be time consuming but if you knew what you were doing you could do it fairly quickly.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What about a rig rescue for a bonus? Have a rolled over rig in a tight situation and the bonus would be for righting the rig and getting it back on the trail. It would be time consuming but if you knew what you were doing you could do it fairly quickly.
I love that idea!!!

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:10 PM   #31
I'm a stupid C U N T!

or some sort of 5 point winch obstacle? Kind of like what Chris and Lance did at the final course a few years back. something that would require several winch points to keep a truck upright and moving forward.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:16 PM   #32
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
I love that idea!!!

I love that you love that idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
or some sort of 5 point winch obstacle? Kind of like what Chris and Lance did at the final course a few years back. something that would require several winch points to keep a truck upright and moving forward.
Yeah. It would be difficult to do what we did with only one winch but maybe have a snatch block so people could do it solo. Or have it as a buddy system.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:23 PM   #33
Say hello to my dactylion

Quote:
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:04 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
I love that idea!!!

Quote:
I love that you love that idea.

Do you two need a moment alone?
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Now that you mention it........

Oh Griz!!!!!!!

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #36
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Do you two need a moment alone?
I would love that.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
What are you guys trying to do to me??? Do you realize that I have to build 15 courses in 2 days as it is? Stop trying to make more work for me.....BTW, who's going to be in Montana early and wants to help design courses?
Old 03-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #38
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
What are you guys trying to do to me??? Do you realize that I have to build 15 courses in 2 days as it is? Stop trying to make more work for me.....BTW, who's going to be in Montana early and wants to help design courses?
I thought this thread was to get ideas from us. Not just for you to tell us what ideas you had.

I won't be getting ther until early evening Thursday, and that's if I leave at the buttcrack of dawn, which is unlikely.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

You now Glen and Myself will be in town Tuesday to help build coarses

Dont worry Grizz, by the time Tim has spent 3 days with me, he will tell me to go build what ever I want and get out of his hairI have ideas
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #40
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
You now Glen and Myself will be in town Tuesday to help build coarses

Dont worry Grizz, by the time Tim has spent 3 days with me, he will tell me to go build what ever I want and get out of his hairI have ideas
Excellent...............