Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Experimenting with Droop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #1

Default Experimenting with Droop

i spent the better part of wednesday watching some videos of crawling and all the guys in this particular group were running a droop style suspension, so i just had to give it a try.

i still havent gotten to give it a real run on the rocks, but on the usual indoor couches and so on it seems to be an improvement. no rollovers, predictable articulation. i just need to find a better way to smooth out the bottom of the rig with a better skidplate of some kind.

here are some pics:

before...

and after.

those servo wheels will probably not be permanent. they were just perfect for getting the shock angle tuned

like i said, i havent tested it out in the real world yet. it may be a big mistake, but i can always go back.

the shocks are stock emaxx
i used xmod shock springs for my internals. they may be a little stiff - but they were all i had lying around.
70 weight oil

has anyone else ran this droop setup on a cliff climber? if so, did it work out?

i tried it out on my old MRC and had mixed results... mostly do to the torque roll.
brees is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I have ran droop on a couple of my scalers. I basically have a droop set up on my CC. I am running the stock shocks and springs with 2 standard 6-cell batteries so the weight bottoms out the suspension basically making it droop. I like it. It lowers the center of gravity and helps with roll overs.

Here is a link if you want to see how mine is set up.
Cliff Climber Rock Racer Style with Standard 6-Cell Stick Packs
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

not having a CC, I cant really give you any tips on how best to mount your shocks, but I did want to give you a hint for getting your droop setup just right.

Ditch the internal springs all-together and move to a higer weight oil. I run 70wt in my MRC and it words like a champ.
It looks like your shocks are laid over quite a bit. Maybe try to get them to stand up a little more vertical....

other than that, once you have the droop setup dialed in you'll never go back to springs.
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote