Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Towerpro servo failures??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2008, 10:38 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

i was running two on my clod super for 6 months, then wanted something stronger so they sat there for a couple of months and now one's on my ax10 and been working fine on that for a couple of months

when it was on the clod it took a massive beating, i rolled the car down a rock landing on the servo bent on of my 10mm links and the servo was fine, just a little dented
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

picked up mine from HH.....got 2 one broke in testing the servo links and the other works fine....i also got it hooked up to a novak volt reg to it
special agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I've been running TP servo's for over a Year. I've replaced 2 of my own. I have yet to see one stripped. There weak spot is the cases. The new MG946R have better boards in them and work mush smoother and better control also. If your looking for a Cheap servo for a Scaler it's perfect. If your on a Budget and need a servo for your 2.2. It's fine as well. But all my 2.2 and Super Comp Rings run 5955TG Hitec's. You get what you pay for. But when in a Pinch and your low on money and need a servo. You can't get a better servo the money. They are also get to have as back ups. For under 20 bucks you can have a spare in you tool boxs for those breaks that might happen during Comps.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:53 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Check for binding in your steering. Make sure the truck's knuckles can turn far enough for the servo. I ran two of these so far. The first gave out about 6 months later, mainly due to too many rollovers The second is going strong. I bought em both from Run2jeepin.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #25
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

My first TP 995 was a pile of garbage. It was glitchy and would over and under shoot the EPA's constantly. I sold it to a member who used it for a winch in his scaler.

I recently acquired a clod that had a new TP servo on it that he had purchased from JP Customs. I wasn't going to use it at first, but then thought why not and have been. It's nice. It's in a 2.2 clod and has worked perfectly with a Mamba Max, CC BEC, and 3S lipo.

I found that it gets a little slower as the servo heats up, but that's after 30 - 40 minutes of crawling. It's impressed me enough to buy one of the new ones JP is carrying to have as a back up. My son is hard on servos and has already gone through two Hitec 645's in his AX-10. I figure this is a perfect servo for him. I am still running 5955's in my super, but for the price these look like a good alternative.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #26

i've got the new MG946R and it glitches a lot, i plugged in another servo and its doin the same thing, could it be my radio and reciever? i'm using a futuba t2ph.
neo82575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo82575 View Post
i've got the new MG946R and it glitches a lot, i plugged in another servo and its doin the same thing, could it be my radio and reciever? i'm using a futuba t2ph.

It could be your servos, could be the way you have your wires ran, could be your radio, receiver, crystals, or just the interference in your area. Per the FCC all of our radio controlled vehicles must accept interference rather than cause it. You may want to go to another area just to check out your stuff. If it's not the area just go down the list of things it could be eliminating them one at a time.
insanerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
I've been running TP servo's for over a Year. I've replaced 2 of my own. I have yet to see one stripped. There weak spot is the cases.

how can you say that?
you just replaced my stripped out 945 a few weeks ago
cspyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:22 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Got a question for you guys. I moded my tq3 awhile back so it would turn the servo a full 200 degrees of rotation. Would this help cause servo failure?? Its worked great with the traxxas servos.

Thanks
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:37 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspyy View Post
how can you say that?
you just replaced my stripped out 945 a few weeks ago
Every Servo I get in a Return I open up and check. I have yet to open one that was stripped. What happens is the upper case wears out sometimes. When that happens it doesn two things. Either jams up or just spins. When it just spins the gears are not touching. Which will give the same effect as being stripped. I've been talking with Tower Pro on making better cases so this issue doesn't happen as much.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

i am currently running the MG946R and i love it ive prob ran about 30 packs threw it and hit a wall a few times and jerked the tires the other way...i have all stock wk set up with the MG946R and i just absolutely love the servo for the money id buy another one in a heart beat
resetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #32
~THE SCALE SHOP~

ive had 2-3 and only one failure, it just locked up.
i only run mine on 1.9 scalers though, so im not really working them hard at all. ive got more than my moneys worth, gonna order one of the new R models and try it out.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
Got a question for you guys. I moded my tq3 awhile back so it would turn the servo a full 200 degrees of rotation. Would this help cause servo failure?? Its worked great with the traxxas servos.

Thanks
YEP!! Your linkage or knuckles stop the travel, but the servo is still trying to turn it! Good luck keeping any servo in it.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

I have one of the R models and im not happy with it. Seems really weak and Im using a BEC. Turning on my tile floor it seems to be working its arse off. And yes my linkages and knuckles turn effortlessly. But what can I expect for less than 20 bucks. Does this seem to fit the bill on these?
cyberhog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #35
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

I've had 3 and 2 failures of the 945s. Using a TQ-3 and CC BEC at 6.6v.

First one just started screaming one day when it was about 2 months old. It was my steering servo. I pulled it apart and everything looked good but it's like it never found center or something.

The second one was at a recent comp and it was a new unit. It worked fine as my dig servo through 1 course, then it just quit. I did some testing and it seems the motor was shorting out.

I ended up mixing the gears & case from #2 with the motor & board from # 1 and it works fine now.

I also ordered some of the 946s ... hoping the work OK on my scaler & as my dig servo for my 2.2 comp rig. I'll probably end up getting something else for steering if they can't take the abuse.

It's still cheaper than 1:1 steering boxes
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Every Servo I get in a Return I open up and check. I have yet to open one that was stripped. What happens is the upper case wears out sometimes. When that happens it doesn two things. Either jams up or just spins. When it just spins the gears are not touching. Which will give the same effect as being stripped. I've been talking with Tower Pro on making better cases so this issue doesn't happen as much.

i realize what you are saying and you told me that before i sent it to you. but you must not have looked at mine in particular hard enough. i actually had one gear in one hand and the other gear in the other hand. these two gears were originally pressed together and designed to be locked together. the small gear part that was pressed into the larger one had come loose/stripped inside the hole and it was slipping/freewheeling.

Dont get me wrong, no meshing teeth were stripped out. just an area where splines could have been made to lock the two seperate gears to each other would have been better than a simple press fit. (which would raise costs of course.)

i got my new one and it is still in the package it came with. currently using a 5955TG.

But customer service was great , just clarifying the problem.

Hell i may not even know what im talking about, What do you think?
cspyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:24 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Thats exacty what happened to both of mine. I am going to try and braze them together, or something.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote