Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Towerpro servo failures??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Towerpro servo failures??

Alright I am kinda dissapointed. I bought two tp 945 servos.

1st one broke in two runs, second one broke in 8 runs with a servo saver.

I might have figured out the problem. Maybe some of you masters, might help me out??

In this picture I am guessing that the small pin is probably going to far and contacting the other gear, pushing on it causeing the small gear opposite to it to pop out???

Am I correct?? and is there a rebuild kit for them? I don't want to waste another 23 bucks if its just going to break agian.

If this is not the problem, then towerpro servos are not meant for crawlers INMOP> I am running off of the esc's bec.

Thanks for any help
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
Keep it real

I had the same thing happen to 2 of mine within 5 minutes of crawling, and the other one just up and fried after 5 minutes of use operating the dig. IMO, you get what you pay for, and I only run JR DS8711's now.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:55 PM   #3
MWRCA'er

What happens is the middle gear mounting shaft stretchs a hole in the upper case half. Look at the upper case half middle hole to prove my point. Should look loose and wollered out at this point.

This may sound like a scheme to get you to buy from vendors. But, many people have had failures with the ebay ones. The vendors have been known to sell the best quality ones.

No rebuild, the gear set probably would cost the same as the servo.

Hitec 5955TG's are worth the money.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:07 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks for the reply's guys.

I bought this from a crawler vendor.

Done with towerpro, not worth my time or 23 dollars. If I were bashing it or something stupid, then I could understand.

5 dollars or 100 dollars, people shouldn't sell things that are junk. Or need special set ups to run, unless you are informed about it.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:51 AM   #5
Official Cook of the ECC

I've had 3 or 4 with no issues. What kinda radio you runnin'? Do you have your epa's set?
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:34 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I have a tq3.

I also had a lot of glitching. And if you turned the steering wheel too far, the motor would stall or rev a bit??? Once I took the tp945 off and installed the traxxas 2055, it was smooth as silk.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I have had the same issues with the 945's. I am using a 3pk to set the EPA's correctly. Mine lasted one outing too. They are cheese ball servo's. I guess you get what you pay for. I am emailing run2jeepn for support on mine. I bought them on his site. (www.JPCUSTOMRCS.com) Anyone else had support on them from him?
cruciface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
Done with towerpro, not worth my time or 23 dollars. If I were bashing it or something stupid, then I could understand.
All mine were on bashers, 8711's only on my comp rigs
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I have used them for a long time with no problems, but they are only on scale rigs and for shifting servos. You do get what you pay for. You could try replacing the case with a hitech 645 case, that would solve the problem most likely.

Otherwise, get a nicer servo. Waypoint just came out with a 180ounce/in servo for about $33. http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=13&page=1 Very nice gearmesh and power for the price.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:59 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I got mine from JPcustoms , and had the same failure .S I think they're all that way . The center pin wallowed out the hole in the case top . I found that the hitech servo has the same case . and bought one from Tower Hobby ($6) , but haven't tried out the servo yet . I made a wench out of it ,and haven't completed the the truck I'm putting it in .
Frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Am I the only person who has used a Towerpro servo with no problems for a year now?I bought two and the first one lasted a month,a drop of 6 feet onto the servo smashed the case,and the second still works fine
red jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Mine's going strong and just ordered two more of the newer replacement versions. Lots of hard falls with it and it's still goin. If it dies now I've definitely gotten my $20 out of it. Probably have 20 packs run through it.
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:28 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

ive been using TP945s on my ax10 for several months also with no problems...so far so good
TIMZKRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
All mine were on bashers, 8711's only on my comp rigs
Yea I checked out that servo.....Sssweeet, but alittle out of my price range.............someday

Quote:
I have used them for a long time with no problems, but they are only on scale rigs and for shifting servos. You do get what you pay for. You could try replacing the case with a hitech 645 case, that would solve the problem most likely.

Otherwise, get a nicer servo. Waypoint just came out with a 180ounce/in servo for about $33. http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=13&page=1 Very nice gearmesh and power for the price.
NOW you tell me LOL

It must be hit and miss with the towerpro, my two were a miss for sure, and others also by the sounds of it. While some people have beat them to death??

Well I can't afford to play the odds with another 23bucks, I already could have had a better servo.

Thanks for the reply's!!
Old 02-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I've only noticed problems with the newer batches, the ones with the purple sticker on them are kinda hit and miss compared to the gold sticker ones. Granted, I've only used the 995's, and found a guy on another forum that had them for $10 shipped each, so I'm not complaining yet.
dabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller View Post
Mine's going strong and just ordered two more of the newer replacement versions. Lots of hard falls with it and it's still goin. If it dies now I've definitely gotten my $20 out of it. Probably have 20 packs run through it.
X2^^

I bought 5 off ebay for $10 each and haven't had a problem with any of the three that I am using so far. must be hit or miss as stated above.
500swmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

You guys are making me nervous to run the towerdpro (thats how its spelled on the sticker) 946r that i got from run2.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Don't be nervous. YOu already bought it.

Run it like normal. With some luck it will work great for you. For me I just have to move on now.

Just had hoped to get a decent inexpensive servo. Never hurts to hope!!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
You guys are making me nervous to run the towerdpro (thats how its spelled on the sticker) 946r that i got from run2.

I'll buy it off of you. I have been running an MG995 for a while now and have had no problem with it (knock on wood) Pm if you want to get rid of it. Jusitn
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I ran one for a while in my crawler, than it crapped out and seized up. I thought it worked good and would be good for my nitro.

i bought one for my 1/8 nitro truggy, it started to get violent shakes in the motor after about 3 tanks.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote