Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 2.4 Ghz Radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 12:23 AM   #1

Default 2.4 Ghz Radio

Hi all, I'm evaluating the possibility to switch from a 35/40 Mhz radio to a Spectrum based one.

The new radio (if any) will be used on my Piston Cane, where I need 6 channels to control the 2 ESC and 2 Servo in an independent way.

I read many articles regarding the new Spectrum technology, but I wonder whether such technology can be really a plus for Rock Crawling.

Speaking about radio models, I'm looking at the Futaba 6EXP 2.4Ghz FASST, mainly for its low price (yes, I know that mechanically it's not a masterpiece...) and also because I'm using Futaba radio for years.

Which are the really benefits of the Specturm Technology ? The increasing frequency, and the increasing
number of information it can sends over the same time interval, is a "really" useful plus in Rock Crawling.

At the end, do You think that the switching will be worthwhile ?

Thanks in advance
andreazinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2008, 12:42 AM   #2
NIK
Pebble Pounder

no need to worry about crystal clash,you can mount the rx anywhere as you dont get interferance,
NIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:15 AM   #3
MWRCA'er

Yeah no antenna to wack people with, No one on your frequency, most are glitch free.

Once you have it crystal radios will seems like dinosaurs.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:53 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Absolutely go with it, at the very least it'll be one less thing to troubleshoot when your rig glitches.
Soya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:37 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
Once you have it crystal radios will seems like dinosaurs.
This is so true. I thought that spending that kind of money on a new transmitter "just" to go crystal-less was a waste, until I finally broke down and bought one. I have since bought a second one and converted five RCs to Spektrum.. the only RCs I have that aren't using it are Mini-Z's and that's only because there is no option for them.

The benefits are somewhat less in crawling because range isn't usually an issue, but it's still night and day difference. Being at an event with 40 people and turning on your radio without having to check anything first is huge for example.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I was at a comp last sunday with a TQ3 and I was the only one on channel 6 and for some reason my radio went haywire and my truck took off. One of the vendors there sold me a new DX3 with a SR3001 receiver for $160 switched it into my truck went out for the next course and my truck has never performed so well!!! I always told myself I woulds never spend that kind of money on a radio and now I tell myself I will never use a cheap radio again!!! LOL totally worth the money, and not worrying about being on the same channel as someone else is great.
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I'm using a futaba 2.4ghz radio, and have not had a single glitch that I can think of since I switched over. It's absolutely worth it in every way.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
the only RCs I have that aren't using it are Mini-Z's and that's only because there is no option for them.
Kyosho has just released there new line of Spektrum Z's!!! Right now they only have older Porsche Le mans bodies with these rtr's. Nut, they are going Spektrum as well.

I too have been really trying to figure out the way to go for a new radio setup for my new crawler. I am a die-hard Futaba guy for almost 20 years. But, since my crawler will have servos that require the EPA and the other one (can't remember right now), I am going to go with the Spektrum. I have learned that basically you will have no issues with these radios.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote