Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Servo's don't seem to be getting the power they need?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Servo's don't seem to be getting the power they need?

I just finished up building a super and still working the bugs out. here's a quick overview.

2 55t Itegy's
9 tooth pinions
Integy portals
Novak XXTRA Rx
Megaplex 403 Tx
11.1v 20c 2100 mah LiPo
2 Hobbico C170 servo's (333oz at 6v)
2 Sidewinder ESC's (prog by JRH)
Castle CCBEC set at 6v
40 seires Moab XL's
total weight about 15-16 pounds (I like a big pig)

Getting alot of glitching and trying to narow my problems down. And I have a few! But the bigest one is that on my little indoor test track or on carpet this thing won't hardly steer? I would think that a 333oz servo would push the coffee table around the room but this thing can't even turn on carpet!
Did a search yesterday and found a link for a voltage regulator setup and started to think "isn't that what a CCBEC does?".
How can I test the function of the servo's for power? What kind of power should they be getting?
I know that there has been a thousand posts on wiring but what is the best way with 2esc's a ccbec 2 servos and 2 motors?
I'm not a noob but I am a raving fustrated idiot when it comes this thing.
jeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Try running 2 bec's. it helped my super w/ steering.
is the megaplex a 4 or 3 channel? (can't remember)
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I bought the Megaplex 403, it's got 7 channels, ch2 is me Y-harness to my ESC's with the red wire pulled as per CCBEC instructions. Ch1 is my front servo ch3 is my rear servo and the CCBEC is plugged into the battery slot. I adjusted the volt output of the CCBEC today from 6v to 7v and it turns better but still not great and the servos are warm after about 5 mins of testing. Me and a club member were trying to figure this out today were wondering if it might be the portals fault? Here's or thinking, the portals raise the centerline of the axle, when in a turn could they be making it harder on the servo to move the tires?

How would you use 2 CCBEC's? Don't they feed power to the RX? When somebody uses a voltage regulator, essentially they run the servos right off the battery with a voltage drop, What's so different then the way I have mine know?
Old 03-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

how much resistance is there with the servo disconnected and you turning the wheels by moving the draglink.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

so you have it set up as a 3 channel.
You can keep it that way or use another channel for the second esc giving you a dig.

I was limited to 3 channel w/ no options.
and set mine up like the pic below..
pulling the red wire as you do now.
What I might have done different if I still had the super is pull the power wire from the 'Y' connectors at the RX. The BEC's will power the servos giving them direct power.
test a couple different set ups so see what works. I know a couple others have the BEC hooked up directly to their Servos, hopefully they'll chime in on their set up.

Best bet is to test out a couple different configurations that may work.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Something doesn't sound right. You may want to call Castle and see if your BEC might be faulty. Pariah, a local RCC member's Hustler Clod Super he is running:

DX6
Two Mamba Max's
One CC BEC
One 3S lipo
Two Hitec 5955 steering servos
Two crawlmasters

and has no servo issues. I am basically going to run the same set up in my pimp cane clod super. I don't think your portals have anything to do with it.

It sounds like your not getting enough power to properly power everything. Have you tested the voltage coming from the BEC with a voltmeter? That would give you an idea if there is a problem or not. 6 volts @ 10 Amps should make everything work properly.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
Holmes Hobbies

I have mine set up with a Y harness.The CCbec is bluged into the battery at one end and the other end is pluged into the Y harness.Then I pulled the white wire (signal wire) out of each servo,Took 2 old plugs and put the signal wire in each one and plug that into each channel your useing for steering.Then you plug the servo into the Y harness.Power only goes to power for the servo's so you have to turn one one esc.
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default Updates

Kurt... There is no extra ordinary resistance. Thought that my tire/wheel combo was to heavy so swaped with another club member and no differance.

Nova... I can adjust the CCBEC with the Clink. I get a green light so it looks ok. If I adjust the voltage up to 7v the servos get hot, work, but not what seems to sufficent.

CD13... I'd like to see your hookup. I can't picture it?

Double J... Here is the way I have things now. The way I see it I would need another 3 Y-harneses to do it your way, am I right? What is the advantage this way?

One last Q? How can you test a servo for its output torque? Maybe these things are just not as powerfull as they say they are. I was trying to keep in budget so these ended up about $40 less then thier HiTech counterparts.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. If I understand you right your CCBEC connects from battery to servo's and not directly to the RX? One single wire to the RX? Thats all? Sounds easy but picture me so I don't go and nuke something.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
Holmes Hobbies

I'm at work so see if this junkie pics will help.You don't need to hook the CCBEC to the reciever,just the servo's

Name:  wire%20diagram.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  47.3 KB
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I think I get it. Positive and negitive wires from servo tire together into CCBEC. The reciever gets all the yellow wires from everything and only a single red wire branches off the CCBEC to power the RX, right? This works for you and your servo's work fine? What servo's are you using?