Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HOW to make a 6 volt voltage regulator!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2005, 04:24 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamisonWorkshop
Cant handle 2 1/4 scale servos. Was shutting down with no reciever pack.
No you will probably have to make 2 or 3 and wire them in parallel to be able to run 2 1/4 scale servos. What kind of servos are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chafey
hitec 645, 5995tg and jr z650 with no problems.
WTF are u talkin about? we need complete sentences!!!
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2005, 05:01 PM   #22

I agree with chafey. Running servos beyond 6V isn't unheard of. I run my 1/8 scale servos off a 7.2V lipo, without a hitch. Futaba 9351 and 9451. They are super quick monsters at that voltage.
MKX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:02 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Well u can go ahead and fry your servos... thoes servos you have MKX10 are rated for a max of 6 volts. I kno i want to keep my servos running and not fried!!
Old 07-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

this should be stickied or placed in the tech section.good info

Last edited by SPEED_RACER; 08-03-2005 at 08:50 AM.
SPEED_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #25
06 Super National Champ

In theory a simple voltage regulator would consist of a Zener diode and a current limiting resistor.

Since a Zener is made to work in reverse bias it'll have a constant voltage drop. If you get a Zener with a breakdown voltage of 6v, put that in parallel with the power line on your servos, well...in theory I'd think it'd work.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh
Well u can go ahead and fry your servos... thoes servos you have MKX10 are rated for a max of 6 volts. I kno i want to keep my servos running and not fried!!
I'll let you know when I fry one. I'm sure it'll be quite a while considering that Futaba OK'd it.....off the record of course.

If you don't trust that, then here's another option

http://www.koolflightsystems.com/ultimatebec.htm

Last edited by MKX10; 07-27-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:12 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED_RACER
this should be stickied or plced in the tech section.good info
Thanks man!!! i think it should!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
In theory a simple voltage regulator would consist of a Zener diode and a current limiting resistor.
YOU could possibly do that... i will look into it! then post what i found!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKX10
I'll let you know when I fry one. I'm sure it'll be quite a while considering that Futaba OK'd it.....off the record of course.
U do that... but if you think of it ur lipo fully charged probably runs at 8.3 ish volts... a 2.3 gain above 6 volts is a 38% increase in voltage! soo you are saying i can run my computer that runs at 110 volts at 152 volts??? thats a little much! if servos have a MAX voltage rating for a reason...
Old 07-27-2005, 10:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh
U do that... but if you think of it ur lipo fully charged probably runs at 8.3 ish volts... a 2.3 gain above 6 volts is a 38% increase in voltage! soo you are saying i can run my computer that runs at 110 volts at 152 volts??? thats a little much! if servos have a MAX voltage rating for a reason...
Ever heard of a factor of safety?

For someone who's never tried pushing the limits a little, you act like you know a lot about it
Old 07-27-2005, 10:22 PM   #29

Here's another article and the address:

http://www.lynxmotion.com/ViewPage.a...22#servo-power

Author: Jim Frye

Have you ever wondered what the limits are to servo power? Well, I have been doing some research in this area and have found some interesting facts. The servo is rated for 4.8 to 6 volts. This is representational of 4 AA NiCad batteries for 4.8 volts, or 4 AA Alkaline batteries for 6 volts. However the servo is an analog device, which means there is a certain amount of tolerance inherent to the design. A rep from Hitec has assured me that the electronics don't smoke until about 12 volts is applied. I have also found that it is considered very common for some remote control race car folks to power the servo directly from the 7.2 volt sub-C battery pack used by the drive motor. Also, the servo is quite a bit faster, which can result in more torque when moving an item with more mass. If anyone has any useful information on measuring rotational torque using a simple cheap fixture I would love to hear from you.

Below is a list of servo supply voltages and the estimated torque values extrapolated from the 4.8 vdc and 6.0 vdc specs provided from Hitec. Of course, these are just estimates based on limited technical specs from Hitec, your mileage may vary...

Ratings for a Hitec HS-422 Standard Servo
-20% of rated voltage Rated voltage +20% of rated voltage +50% of rated voltage
4.8 vdc = 46 oz/in 6.0 vdc = 57 oz/in 7.2 vdc = 68 oz/in 9.0 vdc = 86 oz/in

The really great part to using the 7.2 volt packs are their availability. Lynxmotion has 7.2 volt NiCad or NiMh packs for $20.00, we also carry battery chargers as well. You can even get the quick disconnect plugs to wire onto your robot.

Disclaimer Use this information at your own risk! I have several robots using the 7.2 volt battery packs, including a Hexapod II with 12 Futaba 9202's. It is strong enough to do a one handed pushup, with no hesitation. I trust the electronics enough to risk $720.00 worth of servos. But don't even complain to me if you blow something up.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:30 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

ok well most people dont like to do that i no im NEVER going to hook my servos straight to the battery!!... I will get the pics back up tommorrow! sorry for the inconvinence!(sp?)
Old 07-28-2005, 01:44 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I've been running fully charged gp3300 and gp3700 packs with my 2 hobbco cs80 giants for several months now. Hardcore crawlin'. Plenty of load to the servos.

The setup has performed flawlessly, nothing's ever gotten even warm.

The only problem I've had is having to buy aluminum steering knuckles.. Couldn't keep a plastic one together.

Heavy
Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:40 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Well I will be the guy to say things could happen. Since it did. I went straight power after hearing good things on here. Well I wont be anymore. My front servo woud get hot. 2400nimh pack. Thought nothing of it, but like I said one of the resistors inside actually unsoldered itself from the board. Fluke thing??? who knows. Thats alot of heat. Maybe a manufacturer mistake. Dont know.

Instead of making a few of these I went ahead and got one of these with another servo.

http://www.teamnovak.com/buy/ind_buypgs/5460.html

20 bucks and it is good for 6v/3amp just like super rooster is. Since my esc can power 1 servo fine. This should do the trick. and I like it since it has a built in switch and is still Novak quality. We shall see. nd4spdbh I am runnico Hobbico cs80's
JamisonWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:41 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Ohh that regulator is cool! oooo i think i found a goood voltage regulator... 10 amp current and very low dropout.

Last edited by nd4spdbh; 07-28-2005 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:27 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Little more info on Novaks since Tower is back up.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJJF6&P=7
Old 07-28-2005, 11:09 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

wtf is the answer to someones question....tard. you cant use the novak one either,didnt you see the 6.3v on it thats more than six volts and it will melt your servos and your crawler and burn your house down and possibly start another chernobyl. and end the planet and the universe as well.
chafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:29 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

read the specs. 6volt.
and running something at 6.3v is a hell of alot different than 7.2-8.4v fully charged.

I dont care what you do. I ran full power. It burnt up, this is how I am fixing it. Do whatever you want.

Last edited by JamisonWorkshop; 07-28-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

thank you JamisonWorkshop !!!! also some one said something about servos being anolog devices above.... THERES THINGS CALLED DIGITAL SERVOS!!!
Old 07-28-2005, 04:56 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chafey
wtf is the answer to someones question....tard. you cant use the novak one either,didnt you see the 6.3v on it thats more than six volts and it will melt your servos and your crawler and burn your house down and possibly start another chernobyl. and end the planet and the universe as well.

Ease up dude.

This is a discussion...not an argument. If someone prefers to run a regulator to solve a problem THEY have had then that's the way they will run it.

There ain't a right or wrong way to do this junk. Trial and error baby!

Heavy
Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:30 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

seriously dude ... and thanks heavy!
Old 07-29-2005, 04:20 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

im not saying it wont work im just taking their point about voltage to an extreme. as for the cs 80 melting stuff thats what i would expect from a low end servo. its only 1.2 volts different than a receiver pack with 5 cells. ive ran my servos with that setup for 9 months now with no problems.
chafey is offline   Reply With Quote