Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HOW to make a 6 volt voltage regulator!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #61
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfly View Post
none of the photo's work all i get is an "X"
hmm ill have to switch over because they work fine for me but are on an old hosting site.

and WheelChair what regulartor at the radio shack is rated at 1.5a.... with that rating you could run 2 servos off of one, so i see no reason to run 2 for 1 servo.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2007, 02:41 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
Hey i did some calculations and i came up with some voltage sligtly higher than 5.83... here is what you could to (CALCULATIONS AREnt EXACT +- .1 volts due to the fact that resistors have a 5%+ tollarence)

AND I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGHT USE A VOLT METER TO MEASURE!!!

IN place of 22ohm......in place of 150 ohm.....output voltage
22ohm........................150ohm............... ........5.83 volts
47ohm........................330ohm............... ........5.947 volts
47ohm........................270ohm............... ........6.105 volts--------TEST WITH METER MAY BE LOWER THAN 6 VOLTS
68ohm........................470ohm............... ........6.063 volts--------TEST WITH METER MAY BE LOWER THAN 6 VOLTS
68ohm........................560ohm............... ........5.947 volts

YOU can also put the resistors in a series to get more resistance. like this

SOOO
IN place of 22ohm......in place of 150 ohm.....output voltage
10ohm+33ohm...........270ohm...................... .6.011 Volts--------TEST WITH METER MAY BE LOWER THAN 6 VOLTS
10ohm+15ohm...........220ohm...................... .5.97 volts

What Vin were you assuming with these calcs?

Also what about using a "buck conveter" (a digital switching converter to lower voltage but with better efficiencey and no heat problems) like the 78SR1XX ? It looks like a possible solution to me ... but the input voltage min is 7v and power output is 1.5 Amp max. Anybody tried this?

Also what about this "high current diagram" from the data sheet (for the LM78XX linear voltage regulator). Will this work as an alternative to wiring many of these in parrallel for high power applications?

I'm not an electrical engineer so I don't understand it? Any help out there? If this will work what is the Circle symbol in the upper left (Q1)?

Also, what happens to my Vout as the batteries discharge? It goes down right? I think the "buck converter" will help keep it constant even at low battery. Is this right?

Come on EEE's step up and help us out here.
onecolumbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

WOOO old thread much??? :-P

oh wait wtf... when did i write all that about the other resistor variances... hmm i definetly dont remember it but i do remember chaning my vreg round so it was probably round then lol.

as for Vin... it shouldnt matter as i remember as it is a voltage regulator... those resistor values SET the voltage out put for any supplied voltage within spec.

i have noticed that when my bats get REALLY low (a 55t just keeps on going for every last drop) that servos obviously become slow also due to the drop below the set vout.. but this will happen on just about ANY normal setup as most speed controls use a linear vreg for the BEC.

As for a buck regulator im sure you can... its what is used in computer powersupplies if im not mistaken and is quite efficient (80-90%) and on the other stuff you lost me lol.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote