Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: First Impression comparison of Hitec 7955TG and 5955TG Servos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default First Impression comparison of Hitec 7955TG and 5955TG Servos

Some of you may know that the 5955TG is being replace with the 7955TG servo, and the 5955 is now discontinued. I recently bought a handful of servos to experiment with for my new Stick chassis build. You can see my progress on that here:

Custom made stick chassis build thread, clod axles and stainless steel backbone...

Anyway, having already owned a 5955 and being pleased with it, what little I've used it, I wanted at least that for my new Stick. I bought it at servocity, and they were advertising for the new replacement 7955, and I figured I might as well try it, at their introductory pricing, which was about $6 higher than the clearance priced 5955 ($86). I just put them both on my Stick, and tried them out for a little master-slave and 3P auxillary action. While I haven't done anything more than cycle the action a little, here is what I have noticed so far: The 5955 is much noisier than the 79. The 7955 has a 'geiger counter' noise pretty much going on the whole time it moves, but the 59 has that typical servo whine/grind sound. That sound is absent completely from the 79, but replaced with a much less noticeable almost white noise type 'geiger' clicking.

The power statistics seem to be identical, but the power consumption looks to be much lower on the 79, about 75% that of the 59 in fact, which is also encouraging. I just may buy another 79 tonight!

In a few weeks I may report back here with more results, but probably not, because I don't really care. I just thought the sound difference between the two was interesting, and if someone else wants to rid themselves of that servo sound, I think the 79 is a good start.

-There still is gear noise with the 79, but the accompanying high pitch whine, like the 59 has, is absent.

Last edited by Master Basher; 07-27-2008 at 11:24 PM. Reason: clarification.
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

To get the full benefits of the 79 you need to get the Digital Programmer...opens up a new world...
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have a completely stock RTR AX10. The RTR servo is pretty pathetic, and I want to upgrade to the 7955, but I'm not sure if the RTR's ESC and radio are capable of driving this servo without damaging it, since there are no EPAs. Do I need to get better electronics before running this servo to avoid frying it, or can I upgrade the servo now and get better electronics later? Should I also get a CC BEC? (Ultimately want to get an FXR Pro ESC and a Cobalt 7T).

Thanks!

Last edited by XPLORx4; 08-14-2008 at 03:29 PM.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLORx4 View Post
I have a completely stock RTR AX10. The RTR servo is pretty pathetic, and I want to upgrade to the 7955, but I'm not sure if the RTR's ESC and radio are capable of driving this servo without damaging it, since there are no EPAs. Do I need to get better electronics before running this servo to avoid frying it, or can I upgrade the servo now and get better electronics later? Should I also get a CC BEC? (Ultimately want to get an FXR Pro ESC and a Cobalt 7T).

Thanks!
The key to the 7955 is the programmer. If you have that, you can run it on any radio...the programmer will set you EPA's for ya.

If not, you will need another radio. I would not attempt running one on a radio with no EPA. I know people that have gotten away with it, but it is way too expensive to take that chance.

Why not go with a non digital high torque at about half the price for now...then upgrade when you have the radio...
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
Why not go with a non digital high torque at about half the price for now...then upgrade when you have the radio...
Thanks for the info. I'd rather do it once and do it right, so I guess I'll wait until I get a better radio first.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have a 5955 servo and it has given me great service but I think my next servo will be the JR 8711.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote