RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   4PK Setups, Tips, Tricks and Help (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/136728-4pk-setups-tips-tricks-help.html)

scatterbrains 01-30-2009 02:28 PM

Harley, that vid for the super setup rocks!!! my super build is the reason i got this radio:shock:. your setup is what im going to use. Been a futaba die hard since day one"thumbsup".

Harley 01-30-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scatterbrains (Post 1591561)
Harley, that vid for the super setup rocks!!! my super build is the reason i got this radio:shock:. your setup is what im going to use. Been a futaba die hard since day one"thumbsup".

Glad it helped. If you need any help with programming just let me know "thumbsup"

Culetto 02-01-2009 10:28 AM

Harley when you mentioned about your wireing diagram that the positive wires on the esc's should be hooked back up did you mean on both esc's? On my scaler i run one esc for the winch and one for the driveline and i just have them both plugged into my nomadio transiever in channels 2 and 3. Will the futaba handle this setup or should one have the positive disconnected? or am i just lucky not to have blown the nomadio, lol.

Harley 02-01-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culetto (Post 1594745)
Harley when you mentioned about your wireing diagram that the positive wires on the esc's should be hooked back up did you mean on both esc's? On my scaler i run one esc for the winch and one for the driveline and i just have them both plugged into my nomadio transiever in channels 2 and 3. Will the futaba handle this setup or should one have the positive disconnected? or am i just lucky not to have blown the nomadio, lol.

If you do NOT have a BEC plugged into the RX then I believe you are fine with both plugged in. Right now I have the power wires on both of my FXR's going to the RX. I don't believe you will have a problem.

JohnRobHolmes 02-01-2009 10:40 AM

As long as the two BECs ouput the same voltage, all is well. You could test them with a voltmeter to see how close they were, positive on red or orange an negative on black or brown.

Harley 02-01-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 1594772)
As long as the two BECs ouput the same voltage, all is well. You could test them with a voltmeter to see how close they were, positive on red or orange an negative on black or brown.

Thanks for the info John, good to know.

Culetto 02-02-2009 11:55 AM

Aye thats good to know. Both ESC's are the same voltage. Dual Quark ProCar 33's on OG Revolvers in an MOA setup. One is glitching bad though so i might plug the BEC into the RX and shunt both hot leads from the ESC's and see if that cures it.

Back on topic: One thing i liked about the Nomadio is being able to program everything on the desktop and upload it to the radio, i dont think the 4PK does this but has anyone heard if they have plans to do it? Or something similar?

Harley 02-02-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culetto (Post 1596513)
Aye thats good to know. Both ESC's are the same voltage. Dual Quark ProCar 33's on OG Revolvers in an MOA setup. One is glitching bad though so i might plug the BEC into the RX and shunt both hot leads from the ESC's and see if that cures it.

Back on topic: One thing i liked about the Nomadio is being able to program everything on the desktop and upload it to the radio, i dont think the 4PK does this but has anyone heard if they have plans to do it? Or something similar?

I would like that feature as well. The 4PK has the comm port to program ESC's so you would think that it could be "back hacked" or something.

The programing is pretty easy on the 4PK but it would be nice to be able to shoot someone a file and say just load it up and you will be good to go.

Culetto 02-02-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 1596522)
I would like that feature as well. The 4PK has the comm port to program ESC's so you would think that it could be "back hacked" or something.

The programing is pretty easy on the 4PK but it would be nice to be able to shoot someone a file and say just load it up and you will be good to go.

Im a little supprized no one has put an SD card slot or USB port on a radio yet either. You could just put it on a thumb drive and mail it off or save your settings if you had to mail your radio off for repairs etc.

$430 is still the best price i have found for a 4PK but that was ebay. Any one know which vendor is running the best price atm? I starting to lose my willpower. LOL.

Harley 02-02-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culetto (Post 1596542)
Im a little supprized no one has put an SD card slot or USB port on a radio yet either. You could just put it on a thumb drive and mail it off or save your settings if you had to mail your radio off for repairs etc.

$430 is still the best price i have found for a 4PK but that was ebay. Any one know which vendor is running the best price atm? I starting to lose my willpower. LOL.

Hate to suggest a non-vendor but Ultimatehobbies has them for $430 with free shipping.

scatterbrains 02-02-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 1596548)
Hate to suggest a non-vendor but Ultimatehobbies has them for $430 with free shipping.

I sat down the other day and set up my radio as best i can w/o esc's, and wow i love this radio more and more i tweaked and tuned the setups here and have it so i can crab, regular steering and adjust the rear steering w/o front input all w/o mixing i love this thing. Cond 2 rocks!!!!!"thumbsup"

Really want to play with the ESC programing I need my damn ESC'S!!!

8) Thanks again you guys this thread is awesome"thumbsup"

JohnRobHolmes 02-02-2009 01:17 PM

We probably won't see the ability to plug up a USB drive. That would require the ability to host usb, which few smart phones are capable of doing yet.

whoodie 02-02-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culetto (Post 1596542)

Yeah, my calculator even has an SD card slot now "thumbsup"

My LHS has them for $425. When I bought mine I did not even bother checking their price because I thought it would be outrageously high. Check your LHS, you may be surprised.

Brandon 02-04-2009 12:33 AM

Well I got a few bugs worked out on my 2.2 Axial comp rig.

Winch down suspension is finished. I will post the how-to soon "thumbsup" O yeah, still have that extra channel left for dig as well. Loving the 4PK!

I used the winch down setup at the last comp with excellent results. The break-over of 3.25" is great, and the ability to sidehilll with confidence at 2" of ground clearance is very nice.

I have to thank Harley for his write-ups, with everything he has posted I have an excellent starting point to modify the setups I want to my needs. Thanks man "thumbsup"

Harley 02-04-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing (Post 1600265)
Well I got a few bugs worked out on my 2.2 Axial comp rig.

Winch down suspension is finished. I will post the how-to soon "thumbsup" O yeah, still have that extra channel left for dig as well. Loving the 4PK!

I used the winch down setup at the last comp with excellent results. The break-over of 3.25" is great, and the ability to sidehilll with confidence at 2" of ground clearance is very nice.

I have to thank Harley for his write-ups, with everything he has posted I have an excellent starting point to modify the setups I want to my needs. Thanks man "thumbsup"

Video or your a liar :D

killjoyken 02-04-2009 09:16 AM

He's no liar. I saw his setup in action. Needless to say it really SUCKED...............

.....down the suspension. :lol: Seriously, great idea. Just needs a stronger line. "thumbsup" But even that didn't stop ya from finishing course 3, did it? ;-)

racenut123 02-04-2009 09:18 AM

Man,I should have stuck around sunday.:)

Brandon 02-04-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 1600602)
Video or your a liar :D

Haha I will see what I can do 8)

Quote:

Originally Posted by killjoyken (Post 1600652)
He's no liar. I saw his setup in action. Needless to say it really SUCKED...............

.....down the suspension. :lol: Seriously, great idea. Just needs a stronger line. "thumbsup" But even that didn't stop ya from finishing course 3, did it? ;-)

Yeah it sucked really well :ror: I cant wait to get it set up reliably, its going to allow me to look at different lines a lot differently now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by racenut123 (Post 1600657)
Man,I should have stuck around sunday.:)

Sunday was an awesome comp! Sorry you couldnt stick around.

killjoyken 02-05-2009 10:09 PM

Hey Harley, any idea if you can get similar results with a 3PK? The 3PK is more affordable for me, plus I can use a Spektrum module so I could use it on my other trucks. I'd have to spend some of my tax refund money for the 4PK, which I was planning on saving. (bad economy ya know)

Harley 02-05-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killjoyken (Post 1604274)
Hey Harley, any idea if you can get similar results with a 3PK? The 3PK is more affordable for me, plus I can use a Spektrum module so I could use it on my other trucks. I'd have to spend some of my tax refund money for the 4PK, which I was planning on saving. (bad economy ya know)

I will go do the video right now on a good setup that could be used with a 3PK. It is the setup that One-eyed Jack suggested and that he runs on his 3PK. I don't want to take credit for his setup but I will show you all what it looks like. Give me a little time and I will get it done "thumbsup"

racenut123 02-05-2009 10:21 PM

Ken,save some of it for a 1/8 E-buggy setup too. Hey its just money! Just spring for the 4pk!"thumbsup" If I am not mistaken,you can indeed use the 3pk for similar programming.Correct me if I am wrong someone!;-)

killjoyken 02-05-2009 10:33 PM

Right on Harley! What would we do without you? :lol:

Hicks: Don't worry, my ST-RR conversion is almost ready to go. I was getting ready to sell it until you told me about Norcal Hobbies.

Harley 02-05-2009 10:48 PM

Video is processing now.

Harley 02-05-2009 10:51 PM

It takes quite awhile for the video to upload and process, it may be tomorrow before I get the link posted in here.

Harley 02-06-2009 07:34 AM

4PK using 3 Channels or 3PK

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...mpeg1video.jpg

killjoyken 02-06-2009 09:07 AM

Thanks Harley. So you're programming the dual rate dial to control the rear mix, correct? DL1 or DL2? Or does it matter? Also, when you're turning the wheel for rear dig, you're not using the trigger at all, right?

I'm trying to read through the 68 page manual for the 3PK right now to make sense of it all. The controls and features look almost the same as the 4PK so it should be pretty easy.

Harley 02-06-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killjoyken (Post 1604798)
Thanks Harley. So you're programming the dual rate dial to control the rear mix, correct? DL1 or DL2? Or does it matter? Also, when you're turning the wheel for rear dig, you're not using the trigger at all, right?

I'm trying to read through the 68 page manual for the 3PK right now to make sense of it all. The controls and features look almost the same as the 4PK so it should be pretty easy.

I have both DL1 and DL2 programmed to do the same thing so that I don't really have to think about which one I am hitting. I just know that if I am rolling a dial it is adjusting my mix.

You are also correct about the wheel, there is no trigger input used for the rear dig. If you did pull the trigger it would apply throttle like normal.

Dewmerz 02-06-2009 09:29 AM

I like the setup. Thanks for taking the time to show how it works in a video. I think I could get used to that setup.

I have too much money invested in Spektrum receivers right now to switch away from them so 3PK is easier on the wallet long term.

Harley 02-06-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewmerz (Post 1604854)
I like the setup. Thanks for taking the time to show how it works in a video. I think I could get used to that setup.

I have too much money invested in Spektrum receivers right now to switch away from them so 3PK is easier on the wallet long term.

Hey, I'm not mad at ya, the 3PK is probably one of the nicest 3ch radios available for our needs. It has some killer feature for sure.

You can pick them up at a pretty good price too, even with the spek module.

One-eyed Jack 02-06-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewmerz (Post 1604854)

You can do most of what harley shows for the 4pk with the 3pk. No need to burn any money if you have the 3pk.

Dewmerz 02-06-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One-eyed Jack (Post 1604965)
You can do most of what harley shows for the 4pk with the 3pk. No need to burn any money if you have the 3pk.

I have a DX3R and at least 8 receivers right now. I do not have a 3PK. A 3PK and the Spektrum module should be a little over $300 and I can use my 8 receivers. If I buy a true FAAST system (4PK) then I have to spend $430 plus roughly $100 per receiver to ultimately switch over to one controller.

I know I know I could just use one controller for some of them and the other for the rest but where is the fun in that. 8)

whoodie 02-06-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewmerz (Post 1605054)
I have a DX3R and at least 8 receivers right now. I do not have a 3PK. A 3PK and the Spektrum module should be a little over $300 and I can use my 8 receivers. If I buy a true FAAST system (4PK) then I have to spend $430 plus roughly $100 per receiver to ultimately switch over to one controller.

I know I know I could just use one controller for some of them and the other for the rest but where is the fun in that. 8)

It is tough switching radio manufacturers, especially when you have multiple receivers. But you do only have to do it once. The big question you have to ask yourself is if you are getting a better quality system. And in the case of Futaba, my answer is absolutely. I have run many different radio systems, but when I bought my first Futaba (3PJ), it was leaps and bounds better than anything on the market. Back then Futaba was a leader with their PCM technology. Now they lead with the most feature rich and adjustable radio on the market, the 4PK. If you choose to purchase the 4PK, you will not regret it.

Dewmerz 02-16-2009 05:50 PM

Thanks again Harley for the setups in this thread. My 3PKS arrived Friday and I'm already starting to put in base configurations. I can't do any fine tuning until the Spektrum module arrives. I'll also put this to use on my 8th scale electric conversions.

Still confused on why the Spektrum module on its own is $110 but a module and receiver is $100. :roll:

One question I have for you is when using a dial to trim back mixing is it normal for it not to return to the original setting or did I set something up wrong.

Example.
Throttle: 100%, CH3: 100%
Adjust preset dial to trim back CH3 to say 60%
Disable mixing with one of the buttons
Enable mixing with one of the buttons
Result is CH3 is still 60%

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 1604944)
Hey, I'm not mad at ya, the 3PK is probably one of the nicest 3ch radios available for our needs. It has some killer feature for sure.

You can pick them up at a pretty good price too, even with the spek module.

Harley 02-16-2009 06:34 PM

Everything sounds good to me, the radio will retain the mix settings even when the mix is turned off then back on. You will be used to it in no time.

Glad you are running Futaba now.

Dewmerz 02-16-2009 07:03 PM

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I had everything set up right.

Once the Spektrum module is here and this California rain stops for more than a few hours I'll get to actually try it out. First day out is going to be with the Zero T Berg using RS switches for dig. I want to get this setup nailed down so I can fall back to it reasonably quick at a comp if a ESC starts acting up. Once I have this down I'll pull my 2nd FXR out of the Rock Force and start testing/tweaking the dual ESC setup.

I noticed for mechanical dig setups DT3 in 2 position switch mode goes from end to end not end to neutral. This is something I could not do with the DX3R without putting one end at neutral or double tapping a 3 position switch. If SW1 reacts the same I may set it for 4WD<-->Lock and then put DT3 as a 3 position switch giving me 4WD<-->Free<-->Lock. This may work good on the RF & Axial.

I'm also waiting on the optional large grip for the transmitter to see if it feels any better in my hands and need to figure out what I am going to put in for better battery life be it LiPo or something else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 1628157)
Everything sounds good to me, the radio will retain the mix settings even when the mix is turned off then back on. You will be used to it in no time.

Glad you are running Futaba now.

Harley 02-16-2009 07:15 PM

Let me know if you have any specific questions on the programing. The dig switch setup should be pretty straight forward.

I should have a Lipo write up fairly soon, my lipo pack ships tomorrow. It takes some work though but the weight savings will be nice too.

wrightcs77 02-21-2009 10:16 AM

Harley, I would like to wheel the spare rig in Omaha so I can try the 2 esc's.

I have a DX3R with 7 spare Spektrum receivers, so it would be tough to switch (just got out of racing 8th buggy/truggy so I have lots of extra radio gear). The only reason I would go to a 4PK is to use 2 esc's in a Berg. Not sure if it would be worth the money to get a 4PK and 1 or 2 spare receivers.

dkingston 02-21-2009 12:31 PM

Casey,

Dump those spk receivers and DX3R on the Grid. Use that money to fund the change over to Futaba. Don't look back. The confidence that you won't lose bind with Futaba is enough reason to switch.

In fact, click the link below, get a free extra receiver by clicking the "buy now" link at the bottom Hell you can even use the EZ pay to split the cost over three months.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../futk4900.html

- David

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrightcs77 (Post 1637967)

I have a DX3R with 7 spare Spektrum receivers, so it would be tough to switch (just got out of racing 8th buggy/truggy so I have lots of extra radio gear). The only reason I would go to a 4PK is to use 2 esc's in a Berg. Not sure if it would be worth the money to get a 4PK and 1 or 2 spare receivers.

Harley 02-21-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrightcs77 (Post 1637967)

No problem at all, you can try my rig which should be dialed in. I can totally understand how hard it is to switch radio types.

One-eyed Jack 02-22-2009 04:43 AM

Harley didn't you say that the 4pk could run the dsm recievers with a program adjustment?