Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What should I do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default What should I do?

I want to go brushless in my AX10

is the mamba max that much better than the sidewinder?
whats a good brushless motor, I'm liking my 55 but would like brushless.

what would you get or what are you running?
would you buy it again?
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Well i dont run a brushless but i will soon, i was looking into the sidewinder because of its affordability, but a couple of people have said that it doesnt have enough for a crawler. But there are also quite a few people running sidewinders on brushless with no problems, i think it just depends on how you set it up.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'm going to be going with a Goat system for my tuber. Will be my first jump into brushless, will be stick with some 8cell Nimh packs.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

someone said something to me abotu a holmes hobbies brushless crawler motor? those any good?

any word on what esc?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Holmes has the Crawlmaster, which is a very good outrunner motor and a lot of people have been running them. I think Holmes reccomends a Mamba Maxx with them, or just about any brushless motor. You can't go wrong with just about any combo, but others will always have something to say.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Is this a comp crawler? Any reason your going brushless?
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

check out holmes hobbies
I want a revolver. lol

I here a 1000kv is kind of like a 55t

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=19&page=1

also a Mamba max is for like crazy speed racing haha
I have a sidewinder and I am completely happy with it,.
save money as well.

Last edited by 4x4Crawler4LIFE; 02-24-2009 at 08:28 PM.
4x4Crawler4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I would recommend the Novak GOAT. I run it in my Axial and love it. Plenty of wheel speed, torque to spare and the whole idea of brushless just makes me giddy. ;) The Novak GOAT is a little more expensive than other brands, like the Castle Creations Mamba Maxx/Sidewinder, but I do believe with price comes quality. I've had no malfunctions with my Novak GOAT and love the way it feels. Great power band throughout all speeds and levels of use.

I would also say that Castle Creations also makes an awesome product. I run the Mamba 25 in my RC18MT, and just like the Novak, I have no problems to date and I've been running both systems for over a year. Either way you go, Novak or Castle Creations, I don't believe you'll be disappointed. ;)

Cheers and good luck,
Kyle.
Donziikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
Is this a comp crawler? Any reason your going brushless?
comp crawler.

Brushless is more efficient which means even longer run times.
I also have lipo so maybe take advantage of 3 cell etc etc..
Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Slave View Post
comp crawler.

Brushless is more efficient which means even longer run times.
I also have lipo so maybe take advantage of 3 cell etc etc..
True, brushless is more efficient which will give you a slight increase in run time, but the trade off in performance in a crawler isn't worth the few extra minutes you may gain.

Brushed motors have a much smoother throttle band at low RPM than their brushless counterparts. Unless you're a balls out throttle jockey, I'd stick with your brushed set up, and invest the money you're saving into more packs.

And you don't have to run brushless to take advantage of more voltage. I run 2S and 3S Lipo with my Tekin FX-R and 55T motor. Same deal in my Super...Max Amps 2S 3P 3300 Lipo with Integy V11 55's

Last edited by CreepyCrawl; 02-24-2009 at 08:49 PM.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
True, brushless is more efficient which will give you a slight increase in run time, but the trade off in performance in a crawler isn't worth the few extra minutes you may gain.

Brushed motors have a much smoother throttle band at low RPM than their brushless counterparts. Unless you're a balls out throttle jockey, I'd stick with your brushed set up, and invest the money you're saving into more packs.

And you don't have to run brushless to take advantage of more voltage. I run 2S and 3S Lipo with my Tekin FX-R and 55T motor. Same deal in my Super...Max Amps 2S 3P 3300 Lipo with Integy V11 55's
Well that's exactly the response I was looking for.
I already have 3 lipo packs (but could always use more..) and everything else I would probably need (dx3r, jr ds8711 etc etc)
I was seriously considering the tekin before i thought of going brushless...
Old 02-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Slave View Post
Well that's exactly the response I was looking for.
I already have 3 lipo packs (but could always use more..) and everything else I would probably need (dx3r, jr ds8711 etc etc)
I was seriously considering the tekin before i thought of going brushless...
3R, 8711, Lipo...all the essentials of a nice rig, let's not taint it with a brushless set up

Add the Tekin and stay brushed!
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
3R, 8711, Lipo...all the essentials of a nice rig, let's not taint it with a brushless set up

Add the Tekin and stay brushed!
cheers mate.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Longer run times ..lol
MOVIN-SLOOOOOOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
TEAM MODERATOR

Why go brushless when there's cobalt pullers to be run?

Hands down,a good brushed motor will work much better than an outrunner in a comp rig. I've run the Crawlmaster motors....AWESOME little outrunners. For a backyard crawler/basher,they work very well. Good power and good wheel speed under a 3 cell. Truthfully,the pullers do like power,so you'll need a higher C rated lipo to handle the amp draw and higher mah ratings to get longer run times. But,their performance can't be beat IMHO. For instance,with a 2200 mah 3 cell,I can run all 3 courses and a touch of free crawling at a comp. I do run 10t pullers,so the 7t pullers should show just a shade less run time at the same gear ratio in the same car.

Another option is a HHH 35t. They work very well in an Axial with stock gearing and a 3 cell. I personally like a bit more wheelspeed so when I run one,I'll gear up a touch from stock.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

X2 Exactly why I asked. ;)
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #17
Suck it up!

I went the cheap route into brushless via EZRun. I bash crawl, comps are too far away from me to attend at this point.

3000kv motor and 35a esc for like $90 shipped.

Works fine, a little too much kv for crawling, but with a 6 cell I love the wheelspeed I get. Punch is insane.

Super lowspeed crawling is a little notchy compared to the 55t that it replaced, but the runtime is way longer.

Drag brake isn't all that it could be. Also no instant reverse.

I'll no plans to go back to brushed, and I've been eyeballing HH's crawlmaster, but I haven't seen anyone that uses it in a heavy super. I can't imagine that it would do worse than what I have now knowing its reputation.

Probably go with a Mamba Max at some point too.

Hope this helps...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #18
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I'll no plans to go back to brushed, and I've been eyeballing HH's crawlmaster, but I haven't seen anyone that uses it in a heavy super. I can't imagine that it would do worse than what I have now knowing its reputation.

Probably go with a Mamba Max at some point too.

Hope this helps...
How heavy is heavy to you? A 10 pound rig,the Crawlmaster should push it around fine. You'll need a 3 cell or higher to get the wheelspeed your used to. Honestly,if I was gonna put an outrunner in a super again,I'd try the Scorpion 3020-14. Just a touch longer than a Crawlmaster with a little more power for pushin a heavier rig around.;) With either,I'd recommend a starting point for your gearing at around 70:1 final. Gearing down and volting up is key with an outrunner.

Hard to beat the Mamba Max

Last edited by Reflection; 02-24-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #19
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
How heavy is heavy to you? A 10 pound rig,the Crawlmaster should push it around fine. You'll need a 3 cell or higher to get the wheelspeed your used to. Honestly,if I was gonna put an outrunner in a super again,I'd try the Scorpion 3020-14. Just a touch longer than a Crawlmaster with a little more power for pushin a heavier rig around.;) With either,I'd recommend a starting point for your gearing at around 70:1 final. Gearing down and volting up is key with an outrunner.

Hard to beat the Mamba Max
I'm just a RCH under 10lbs.

I'll have to keep the Scorpion in mind.

Now that I'm running a R2 trans, I'll have to refigure my gearing, but I don't think I can live without the wheelspeed...lol

LIPO may be coming in the near future anyway...my current charger has started growling at me.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:48 PM   #20
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post

Now that I'm running a R2 trans, I'll have to refigure my gearing, but I don't think I can live without the wheelspeed...lol

LIPO may be coming in the near future anyway...my current charger has started growling at me.
R2 in a super with a decent amount of power = carnage. They are geared to low IMO. I ran a Crawlmaster on 8 cells behind an R2 with an 18t pinion in a 7 pound 2.2 and it was still to low. Try an upgraded Axial tranny withy CDW outputs and hard ano'd gears. Thats what I run in my super with great results. She's only 6 pounds RTR though.