Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hitec HPP-21 Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Hitec HPP-21 Review

I stopped by the local hobby store today to pick up some pinions and look for parts for my slash. I ended up leaving with this:

I have slowly become a big Hitec fan over the last few years. There customer service has been outstanding. I also have Hitec 5955TG servos in my 2.2 comp rig, my son's 2.2 comp rig and two more in my Super. I have always wanted to be able to program my servos, but the Hitec HFP-20 was not affordable. The local hobby store had the HPP-21 for $20 and I had to give it a try.

I had to download the software from Hitec RCD and install it. It is both Windows XP and Vista compatiable. I was able to use my USB cable from my Castle Creation Mamba Max to connect to the HPP-21. I also had to hook up a power source for the programmer to work. I used the CC BEC off the crawler I was programming so no issue there.

Here it is hooked up:

Here is what the programming screen looks like:

I have to admit it was a total breeze. The instructions included with the programmer are very good. I was able to set up a servo fail safe, set EPA's, adjust the travel speed, and most importantly to me was adjust the dead band. I was desperately hoping to be able turn on the overload protection but the Hitec 5955 TG doesn't have it.

I found that the EPA setting was easy to set, but it did not work out well on the crawler. This particular crawler is my sons and he is using a Futaba 3PM-FM and I can set the EPA's on the transmitter. When I had set the EPA's using the Hitec programmer, I was not able to get full travel on the crawler with the transmitter. So I reset the EPA's to stock with the programmer and reset the EPA's using the transmitter. However if you were using a transmitter with no adjustable EPA's (like a Traxxas TQ3), the programmer will allow you set EPA's in the servo so you can still use your cheap transmitter.

This is well worth the $20 if you have programmable Hitec servos. If you have the 7955 you can set the over load protection so you never burn up a servo again. This a great product and I suspect Hitec will be selling many of these since they are so affordable. Great job Hitec.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Can you set the dead band wide enough for a servo winch not to wander? That would really be the only advantage I can see, my radio has a failsafe and EPAs, and I've never burned up a servo as it is. I've always looked at servo programming skeptically for that very reason.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
Can you set the dead band wide enough for a servo winch not to wander? That would really be the only advantage I can see, my radio has a failsafe and EPAs, and I've never burned up a servo as it is. I've always looked at servo programming skeptically for that very reason.
If you are using a digital, programmable servo for a winch; then yes, you could set the dead band larger for it not to wander. The Hitec programmer uses a 1 - 5 scale for dead band. 1 is the the tightest, 5 is the loosest. I set the dead band to 3 on my son's 2.2 crawler last night in order to stop the humming of the steering servo constantly fighting to find exact center. I am hoping it might allow the servo to run slightly cooler temperature wise over all.

The failsafe is probably aimed more at airplanes and helis rather than crawlers. My DX7 has built in fail safes. How much use you get from the programmer really depends on your radio equipment and needs. However, if you are running the newer digital servos like the 7955, you need the programmer to turn on and set the over load protection. That alone is worth the $20 cost of the programmer. I have burned up three 5955TG servos and had to send them back to Hitec for repair.

I admit I was always skeptical of servo programmers until I burned up a 5955 TG. I have been looking for a programmer on ebay ever since. But $100 + was just too much for me. It's only a matter of time until I get new 7955's so I know I will get use from this programmer for a long time and be able to protect the investment of the 7955's since I will able to set the overload protection.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I wanted to update this thread with a little more feedback about the value of the programmer. The Hitec 5955 TG servo on my sons 2.2 crawler would usually get very hot to the touch in about 20 minutes of crawling. Since I adjusted the dead band of the 5955 in my sons crawler it will now go 40 minutes and never get hot. I did not think the dead band in particular would help that much in making it run cooler but it has. The crawler now has five battery packs through it and we are able to hit the lipo cut off before ever having to stop to allow the servo to cool. The servo programmer is well worth the $20 to help protect your $100 Hitec servo.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

good write-up, very informative , i have a 7955 and i thought that was the difference between the 5955 and the 7955 was the thermal overload protection? does this programmer allow you inable/disable this feature?
mexiCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexiCAN View Post
good write-up, very informative , i have a 7955 and i thought that was the difference between the 5955 and the 7955 was the thermal overload protection? does this programmer allow you inable/disable this feature?
Thank you.
Yes, this programmer will allow you to turn on the thermal overload protection. The 7955 comes from the factory with the thermal protection turned off, so you must have a programmer in order to activate it. The 5955 does not have the overload protection as an option unfortunately.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
RCC Addict

can you reprogram the rotation 90 to 180 degrees on it?
jimbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbiss View Post
can you reprogram the rotation 90 to 180 degrees on it?
Yes, this programmer will do that.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Being able to program servos to be 180 degree rotation alone will pay for this, since I run 180 degree rotation servos in all my stuff. Thanks
jimbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Going with 180 degrees of travel allows you to use a shorter servo arm as is sometimes needed when you are using high clearance steering knuckles.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
I got the programmer ....

Not seeing how to set it to 180*

What am I missing?
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post

What am I missing?
have this one too, I have tq3 2.4ghz (not traxxas link) that has no epa. so I can program with this. it works great

you can set it up on 'Resolution', change it to Normal. you shoul be at 180* right now
deephis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:19 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post

What am I missing?
Don't have a lot of time right now...but will go into detail later today. Basically you need to fiddle around in the part of the programming that correlates pulse width to end position.

Narly1
Old 09-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #14
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Got it.

Took screen shots for the other folks that are dense like me.

Will post up later.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Ya it's a little fiddley, eh?

Did you figure out how the EPA programming works as well?

Narly1
Old 06-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Back from the dead, but is it possible to use this programmer with Savox and Spektrum servos? I could really use 180* of throw and adjustable deadband but have had trouble finding support for those particular servo's.
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #17
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

This programmer is still going strong 2 years later. No failed servos in any of my rc vehicles or in customer RC vehicles I have built. I can't stress how much money and grief this little programmer will save you. Your servos will run quieter, cooler (less heat), and last much longer. The only way to turn on the overload protection that comes in all 79XX Series servos is with a programmer.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Guy View Post
Back from the dead, but is it possible to use this programmer with Savox and Spektrum servos? I could really use 180* of throw and adjustable deadband but have had trouble finding support for those particular servo's.
http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/new...ts/hfp-25.html

Doesnt say in the description, but says for all brands on the case of the programmer.
maxxflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I have the HPP-21+ for programming a 7980 but I can't turn the resolution for using the 180°.... anyone have a idea ?? I made all like it said on Hitec RCD, but the resolution button stay in gray....
dude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

A -25 review..... Hitec HFP-25 Digital Servo Programmer/Tester
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote