Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Whats so special about the Holmes Hobbies cobalt puller 7T?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDheavymetal View Post
I would recommend a 3 cell LIPO-My sons has a 7T puller and he killed the saddle pack. My lasted about 10 runs then died. He got about 40 runs with his 7T and I got about 50. The motor is so fun. Matt
Good advice and the 3s Lipo's REALLY bring that motor to life. Personally I've got about 10 of the nimh split packs and have been hard on them in two different rigs with no problems except for one for over a year now. There's a huge difference over all the other motors just with the nimh packs, but if you go lipo they really get wild.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #22
Suck it up!

Quote:
I would recommend a 3 cell LIPO-My sons has a 7T puller and he killed the saddle pack. My lasted about 10 runs then died. He got about 40 runs with his 7T and I got about 50. The motor is so fun. Matt
40 runs before the battery or motor died?

Thats probably less than a months worth of crawling for me!
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, what's up with that? So you charge / use a battery 40 times and it's no good? Please clarify? I'm about to spend 2k on stuff and if this is the case forget it. It's 2009 these things should run on air anyhow

2009 and we're still using batteries. Technology advancement does not impress me one bit. Sorry to sound like an ass but this stuff is expensive.
knuckleslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

The whole issue is simply with the 2/3a cells. They're small, and light, pretty much perfect for crawlers if you're going with NIMH. I've seen that you've mentioned going Lipo, so the life time of those cells is going to be much greater. With proper use and cycling you can make the NIMH packs last much longer. Like I mentioned, I've probably got over 100 charges on all 10 of my packs, and have only managed to kill one of those. I cycled it this morning and ran it and it seems to be doing fine now. Basically with those NIMH packs it's a gamble as to how long they will last, but with Lipo you should definately get tons of use out of them.

Motor life on those 7t Cobalts wont be an issue unless you're just intentionally abusing them. However, I intentionally abuse mine and they're still going strong after a year of use. Common sense on motor maintenance will make them last as long as you want them to.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #25
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSCOTT View Post
Motor life on those 7t Cobalts wont be an issue unless you're just intentionally abusing them.
Pffft...then whats the point?
Old 04-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #26
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I have pullers with a TON of hourage on them. Every once in a while it is good to cut the comm and brushes, just like any brushed motor.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #27

Quote:
What batterys are you running in the Summit?

I heard John Holmes was running TWO 5T pullers in his BERG. Matt
I did run two 5t pullers for a bit, on 2s lipo. Great ligherweight power setup. I had a radio glitch that buried the throttle once though, created a ton of heat in everything. I took them out and put some puller 454s in, those worked very well on 2s. Now I am back to TorqueMaster Pro's in the berg, and may get another motor in the future
Old 04-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
40 runs before the battery or motor died?

Thats probably less than a months worth of crawling for me!
The battery pack.
SDBigBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

I can't really say anything better than what these guys already said. Absolutly love mine.
celicaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Pffft...then whats the point?
I mean the type of abuse, such as getting the motor full of mud and never cleaning it out, that kinda abuse.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

What ESC's are you all running with them? I'm waiting for the new shipment to order one and have been thinking about the ESC. Will a Rooster Crawler handle it?
JoeMotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

mamba max
celicaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #33
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMotor View Post
What ESC's are you all running with them? I'm waiting for the new shipment to order one and have been thinking about the ESC.
Are you talking about HH's house-brand ESC? I've been waiting on that one as well.

Is that a new product or has it been around awhile and I'm just blind and ignorant?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

No, I'm waiting on the 7t. I haven't looked at their housebrand ESC yet. Anyone running an FXR with the 7t?
JoeMotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

I'm running a 2 cell 4000mah Lipo with my 7t. Running the stock AX10 spur and a 18 tooth pinion I can get almost an hour run time. As far as the motor goes there are tons of times where I need the wheel speed and it really helps bump it over some places. IMHO it's the best crawler motor on the market.
Mighty Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

ASTROFLIGHT 10T PULLMASTER....... oops i would be perfectly happy to back my crawler up to your Holmes Hobbies but i am not bringing your truck back when i pull it down the street............P III
ol dirty dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #37

I have plenty of the pullmasters, they are a great motor. Too bad Bob refuses to make more.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I have plenty of the pullmasters, they are a great motor. Too bad Bob refuses to make more.
they are a great motor i really have no experience with your motors other than a kid came down to one of the central coast crawlers comps and he had one of your 7t motors and i shit you not i ditched my goat setup the next weekend i experimented with some brush setups and saw nothing compared to the stuff that kid was pulling with his setup i was at our LHS one day and a guy brought 2 of these astroflights in and the owner of the shop was like try this motor out i dont want it so i did but it would not fit in my slingshot chassis because where you hook the wires and i believe the brushes it would hit my drivelines so i let it sit for awhile and just recently hooked it up in my new chassis with the fxr setup with i believe some of your advice from another thread and was just blown away but they are expensive if you can find them someday when i have the money and i can talk our shop into getting some of your motors i would love to have one till then its all ASTROFLIGHT for me, oh yea you seem like a pretty cool guy another reason to try one of your motors.......P III
Old 04-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #39
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol dirty dirt View Post
They are a great motor. I really have no experience with your motors other than a kid came down to one of the central coast crawlers comps and he had one of your 7t motors. I shit you not, I ditched my goat setup the next weekend! I experimented with some brush setups and saw nothing compared to the stuff that kid was pulling with his setup. I was at our LHS one day and a guy brought 2 of these astroflights in and the owner of the shop was like "Try this motor out, I dont want it". So i did, but it would not fit in my slingshot chassis because where you hook the wires, and i believe the brushes it would hit my drivelines. So, I let it sit for awhile, and just recently hooked it up in my new chassis with the fxr setup with i believe some of your advice from another thread and was just blown away. But they are expensive if you can find them. Someday when i have the money and i can talk our shop into getting some of your motors, I would love to have one. Untill then its all ASTROFLIGHT for me, oh yea you seem like a pretty cool guy. Another reason to try one of your motors.......P III
There. Fixed it for you.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
There. Fixed it for you.
why thank u i never gots a good grade in english thats why i play with rc cars all day............P III