Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Nomadio React vs DX3R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #1

Default Nomadio React vs DX3R

Has anyone run both of these controllers? It seems like the react has a lot more going for it for less money then the dx3r. I understand that all the specktrum guys think that the dx3r is made of gold but it is a 3ch radio vs the react 4ch and the spektrum is $50 more.
hotcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

you dont look like such a dork holdin the dx3r compared to the nomadio..
hahaha.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The React does indeed look like an excellent radio. No one in my area stocks one so hard to get a feel or look at it.

Heck, I'm still not convinced a pistol is worth the $. Sticks seem to be a better value.
VeryBumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The Nomadio is a superior radio. However Nomadio as a company also has a military side of their buisness involving robotics control. They are now very limited in their production runs on RC stuff.

The react is nice since it can be set up to use spektrum recievers if you want so those are cheap to find. The only real competition the react and sensor have is the new futaba 4pk which is $400+.

The dx3r has a 3 position third channel for dig but it doesnt do much else. If you want to drop down to 3 channels i would go with a futaba 3pk w/ the 2.4ghz module in it.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

4PK worth the money.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

I've run a DX3r and a Nomadio React. Before running either I ran a Multiplex Profi Car 403. If the Multiplex was 2.4ghz I would have kept it but it wasn't and I wanted "glitch free" operation.

I sold the 403 to help fund a DX3R. I liked the light weight and large screen of the DX3R, but didn't like the grip as much. I really hated the 3rd position switch. For my AX10, I could not get it to go right from dig-lock to 4wd (bypassing dig-open) without hitting the switch twice. This meant there was a delay that frequently resulted in rollbacks. My 403 had no problem with that as the switches were more programmable. Even though the DX3R has a large screen, you had to go to a back menu to see what position your servos were in. Sounds silly but when you are used to that info on screen you miss it when you don't have it.

So, frustrated, I sold the DX3R to fund a Nomadio React. I figured I liked the feel of the Multiplex and the React case is the same mold. The Nomadio has endless programming possibilities. The interface blows me away. I have one switch that goes from 4x4 right to dig lock so there is no delay and another switch that takes 1 step either direction. The programming is perfect so it solved that problem. However, the screen is tiny and although it has a little indicator showing your 3rd channel position it is hard to read, so somewhat useless. It also eats batteries like a mofo. I got 2 2700mah batteries now so problem solved.

At the end of the day, I want the programming of the Nomadio with the screen & batteries of the DX3r and the info of the Multiplex.

If you are trying to decide between the two, I'd say you may be better off with the DX3R if you have an MOA or just run an MRC. If you run an AX10 (or anything else with a mechanical dig) or a scaler, go with the Nomadio.

Last edited by Locked Up; 04-11-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
RCC Addict

There is a reason the DX3R owners think there gold. They are! I think the Nomadio looks ridiculous. They have also had problems with the receivers, and getting new ones was near impossible. But the people who use them love them also. I would be hesitant to drop big bucks on something that is not well backed, and since nomadio does not have a great track record, I would not buy one.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #8

It seems like there are more places to buy them now, and from what I have seen the recievers are cheaper then the spektrum ones. For anyone that has run the react: does the location of the programable buttons feel like they are in a good position? The dx3 I used didn't lend itself to easy use, but I know the dx3r is better.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarl View Post
It seems like there are more places to buy them now, and from what I have seen the recievers are cheaper then the spektrum ones. For anyone that has run the react: does the location of the programable buttons feel like they are in a good position? The dx3 I used didn't lend itself to easy use, but I know the dx3r is better.
Yeah, I think they are in good position, and you have a bunch to choose form as well. It's all going to depend on your hands and what you are used to though.

On the RX's ... I don't run the Nomadio RX. I sold it on RC Universe (RC racer guys like the telemetry) and got a mini spektrum. It's smaller than what came with the DX3R too.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #10
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
The Nomadio is a superior radio. However Nomadio as a company also has a military side of their buisness involving robotics control. They are now very limited in their production runs on RC stuff.

The react is nice since it can be set up to use spektrum recievers if you want so those are cheap to find. The only real competition the react and sensor have is the new futaba 4pk which is $400+.

The dx3r has a 3 position third channel for dig but it doesnt do much else. If you want to drop down to 3 channels i would go with a futaba 3pk w/ the 2.4ghz module in it.
It does a little more then just dig. It also has a 30 model memory to save all settings for each of those 30 models, and plenty of adjustability.
I see far more DX3r's at comps then I do Nomadio's.
I think the new 4pk will be the hot ticket now.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:22 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetimecrawler View Post
It does a little more then just dig. It also has a 30 model memory to save all settings for each of those 30 models, and plenty of adjustability.
I see far more DX3r's at comps then I do Nomadio's.
I think the new 4pk will be the hot ticket now.
You will see more DX3r's at comps because its the street racing honda civic of the radio world, sure they have their good points and they can get the job done most times, but in actuality its not a race car even though alot of people think they are once they add the sticker kit. It will fill all the needs of a crawler no question and i think spektrum makes great stick radios but the dx3r is not even close to the Nomadio or the 4pk.

The 4pk is an amazing radio and is without question the hot ticket if you are in the market with that much coin, but its alot of coin. You get better programmability with the Nomadios since it is all graphical on the PC though so its really about what you are into and how much you want to spend. My nomadio is 4 years old and still going strong and has unlimited model memory since you can back them up to the computer and put them in as needed (though its true that it only has room for 20 models in the onboard memory so if you like to take 21 or more cars out with you for the afternoon then its not going to cut it).

But if you really want to be able to get a sticker kit to make it faster then spektrum is the way to go
Old 04-12-2009, 07:18 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Default man up

I have had both nomadios, both the dx3r and the dx3s and once again the futaba 4pk steps above the rest, The nomadios are definately 2nd as I keep a sensor for back up (only reason not using nomadio caught a glitch in the system that turned out to be a potentiometer issue) $19 to fix, The more I read about the 4pk the more I like it, friend got his and after holding it BAM mine was on the way. The spektrum radios really feel cheesy in your hands and really dont seem like a quality component, and last not least "you get what you pay for" go on and drop the bucks you wont be sorry!!!!!!!!

p.s. I seen a 4pk on the sale thread for 375 obo!!
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #13

The 4pk is a lot to spend for crawling, I could see paying the money if you are into other aspects of the hobbie, but I'm not. It is killing me to spend $300 on a radio system anyways, so I think I'll try out the react and see how it goes, if it isn't what works for me I'll probably go with a spektrum. It's only money right?
Old 04-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
It's only money right?
Yup.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
The 4pk is a lot to spend for crawling, I could see paying the money if you are into other aspects of the hobbie, but I'm not. It is killing me to spend $300 on a radio system anyways, so I think I'll try out the react and see how it goes, if it isn't what works for me I'll probably go with a spektrum. It's only money right?
I don't understand that argument. I use 2 channels on my revo, and some basic functions like dual rates, abs and such, but really my old 3PM did everything I needed, and it's an entry level radio. I use more radio features and options for crawling than for anything else. The 4PK is an amazing radio, and it's worth every penny. If you already have a bunch of spectrum receivers, get the nomadio, it's also a very nice radio. I've not used the nomadio, but there are several locals who do and they all like it.

The DX3R is a cheap feeling radio in my mind, and it doesn't have several of the features I look for. Beyond that, it's too expensive for what it does. I'd consider spending 200-250 for it, but not 320.

BTW, futaba has a deal going right now for a free R603FS when you buy a 3PK or 4PK. That's a $100 receiver. That, plus the good price I got from my LHS was enough to convince me.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
The DX3R is a cheap feeling radio in my mind, and it doesn't have several of the features I look for. Beyond that, it's too expensive for what it does. I'd consider spending 200-250 for it, but not 320.
you can get them for 270 shipped.

i like my dx3r.
ol' gravy leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #17
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
You will see more DX3r's at comps because its the street racing honda civic of the radio world, sure they have their good points and they can get the job done most times, but in actuality its not a race car even though alot of people think they are once they add the sticker kit. It will fill all the needs of a crawler no question and i think spektrum makes great stick radios but the dx3r is not even close to the Nomadio or the 4pk.

The 4pk is an amazing radio and is without question the hot ticket if you are in the market with that much coin, but its alot of coin. You get better programmability with the Nomadios since it is all graphical on the PC though so its really about what you are into and how much you want to spend. My nomadio is 4 years old and still going strong and has unlimited model memory since you can back them up to the computer and put them in as needed (though its true that it only has room for 20 models in the onboard memory so if you like to take 21 or more cars out with you for the afternoon then its not going to cut it).

But if you really want to be able to get a sticker kit to make it faster then spektrum is the way to go
Sticker sheet, haha. What a condescending A-hole
You neglected to mention, this is all personal opinion.
I'm curious to know how many past National champions use Spektrum vs Nomadio?
BTW, the only sticker on mine is my name, so I can find it among the 30-40 other DX3r's at our comps
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' gravy leg View Post
you can get them for 270 shipped.

i like my dx3r.

I didn't say it was a bad radio, but it doesn't have very good mixing options, and I use mixing extensively, also it doesn't have abs. I expect those things out of a high end radio.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #19
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetimecrawler View Post
I'm curious to know how many past National champions use Spektrum vs Nomadio?
Crawling champs? There have been ... what? 4 of them?

I have it under good authority they all used TQ3s.

It doesn't matter what anyone else uses, it's all about what works for the individual.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #20
THE Y-TOWN OG

i started with the react and i thought it was the way at the time we ran only 1/8 nitro truggies, then the local money bags bought the dx3r and swore by it, so i sold the react and bought the dx3r.it by far was a better radio as far as control to the car it had a better turning sensitvity feel to it way more persice and a hell of a lot lighter feel. then we got our ax-10's and as long as you have a clue in life it was as easy as hell to set it up with the dna dig unit.no w we all own bergs about 5 us and we run the dx3r on those with switch plates and the dx3r is flawless. i now own a 4pk the one that was 375 obo on here and it is simply awsome so far. also the dx3r's batteries last forever and it only uses 4 AA

JMO
dboy1k is offline   Reply With Quote