Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Build a 5/6ch pistol Tx for $120

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #221
Got Worms?

i also forgot to mention that the trim on the tq isn't in line with its channels it goes through the pcb so you cann't use stock trim, and the stick assembly in the t6 is way to big to put in a pistol.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #222
I wanna be Dave

Haven't decided where I'm getting the batteries at, maybe just ebay. I don't want to wait for HK to get them to me.

I don't have the T6 yet, so I won't know what will fit or not until I have it in my hands. I know I'll have to trim the board, and if I can't get the T6 stick in the thumb handle, I am pretty sure I can get it in the top portion where the 50/50 70/30 switch is.

I don't think it will work to run a pos/neg and all the signal wires up the handle to the switches. I think you'll have to run all the wires up the handle. Do you have a build thread for your T6/TQ?

For the steering trim, I was just going to use the pot itself and wire it with the steering wheel, no need for the TQ PCB...

Can someone post a pic of the T6 stick assembly next to a ruler so I can see what I'm getting in to?
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #223
Got Worms?

no i don't have a build thread for mine but i'll have one my next go round here in a few weeks, but heres a pic of the inside this is an older one i have but i can get one with a ruler if you need one
I'll try and get some pics of the board and mods i have done in order to get everything to fit here in a day or two

On the left is a full assembly and on the right a partial assembly
Old 01-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #224
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
no i don't have a build thread for mine but i'll have one my next go round here in a few weeks, but heres a pic of the inside this is an older one i have but i can get one with a ruler if you need one

I'll try and get some pics of the board and mods i have done in order to get everything to fit here in a day or two

On the left is a full assembly and on the right a partial assembly
Thanks for the pic. I though clockworks said there were three return to center switches on the t6. I thought one was one of the main sticks, and the other two were channels 3 and 4... Are those return to center? I thought they were, and were a lot smaller since they only move in one axis...

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #225
Got Worms?

both are have two axis sticks into one, one of them doesn't come with return to center because airplanes don't need it for their throttle, but it can be made return to center for both of them, i wonder if a joystick out of like a playstation controller would work. that be small enough, just put two of those in the back plate then if you ever felt like you needed a stick radio you'd have one
Old 01-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #226
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
both are have two axis sticks into one, one of them doesn't come with return to center because airplanes don't need it for their throttle, but it can be made return to center for both of them, i wonder if a joystick out of like a playstation controller would work. that be small enough, just put two of those in the back plate then if you ever felt like you needed a stick radio you'd have one
This is why I was thinking that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworks View Post
Three of the stick channels are sprung. The whole stick assembly is pretty big, but you might be able to modify it to fit.
I might look through my old RC tx's to see if there's a return to center pot that would work if the "other 2" return-to-center sprung sticks are too big.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #227
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
I might look through my old RC tx's to see if there's a return to center pot that would work if the "other 2" return-to-center sprung sticks are too big.
Yea they're huge about 2 1/4 by 2 1/4 the about 1 1/2 inch deep, i might have just a one axis laying around if you don't, i think i'm gonna start looking for an old contolor to see if it has all the proper stuff we need
Old 01-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #228
I wanna be Dave

I figure at the very least I have a throttle trigger from an old radio I can modify to use... I just have to take it apart and see what the resistance values are for the pots.
I just thought that clockworks was saying there was a spring stick from the T6 I could have used.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #229
Got Worms?

i don't see one that will fit, but with some mods you could probably make a smaller but but i'd rather got to a yard sell and get one of those old wal mart rc with the sticks, i looked in my pile of elecs but i didn't have any ( i just cleaned out my bucket a couple weeks ago, kinda bootin myself right now) I think i'm gonna bring home a camra from my school this weekend and i'll get the pics of the mods i've done to pistol case, you'll probably want to stick with 8 cell battery because there ain't alot of room to be adding stuff to that board. Probably get a small 3s battery and a external lipo cut-off to make it light and let you put the programmer cable in the bottom, so order up a couple of these http://lh3.ggpht.com/_u17mv39ITYU/Sx...U5XtU-I/mm.jpg and either a voltage display or get a external cutoff ( a little more expensive but way safer)
Old 01-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #230
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i don't see one that will fit, but with some mods you could probably make a smaller but but i'd rather got to a yard sell and get one of those old wal mart rc with the sticks, i looked in my pile of elecs but i didn't have any ( i just cleaned out my bucket a couple weeks ago, kinda bootin myself right now) I think i'm gonna bring home a camra from my school this weekend and i'll get the pics of the mods i've done to pistol case, you'll probably want to stick with 8 cell battery because there ain't alot of room to be adding stuff to that board. Probably get a small 3s battery and a external lipo cut-off to make it light and let you put the programmer cable in the bottom, so order up a couple of these http://lh3.ggpht.com/_u17mv39ITYU/Sx...U5XtU-I/mm.jpg and either a voltage display or get a external cutoff ( a little more expensive but way safer)

I've got a few cheapo stick controllers, hopefully one is more than just a SPDT switch, I think unless it's Digital Proportional, it might not be a potentiometer. I haven't taken a look through my spares to find out though.

I'm going with 5 cells, and a BEC. Partly for weight, partly so there's a spot to mount the computer connector, and partly so I don't have to mess with a lipo for the TX. I'll mount the voltmeter on top of the base but I'll have to build up a bezel for it since it won't fit otherwise. The 4 cell mod is easy with the 2 bypass wire method. The zener diode circuit was to get the voltage warning light to work. I don't need the T6 LED warning to work since I'll have a voltage display for it.

Link you posted was to a pic of a couple crawlers...

If you doubt my fabrication skills... Linky... I used the same ABS Cement to fabricate the Screen Bezel into the stock Dash Bezel so it looked like it came that way. Also did the same on my 2.2 Dodge Scaler... Link Here for the crew cab extension. The TQ's are made from ABS plastic, so the ABS Cement will work for the TX as well.

Once it's all done, I want to make some new stickers for it, so I can remember what everything does, and to further customize it. I'm getting ready to order everything, but still trying to find a good place to get the small electronics (resistors, etc.)
Old 01-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #231
Got Worms?

oops, here it is http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack, i don't doubt your fab skills i'm just saying in order to get the board to fit inside the bottom it has a slight arc to it and fits real tight so modding that board is tight, i found a place to put computer programmer, i'll link up some pics in a day or two, but its on the top part of the tx battery/pcb compartment, facing the steering wheel. where do i get abs cement, i think i might want some when i continue modding my case (better than hot glue or super glue), also since it seems like you know something about plastic, whats the best thing to cut it, i've been using a dremel with a cut-off wheel
Old 01-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #232
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
oops, here it is http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack, i don't doubt your fab skills i'm just saying in order to get the board to fit inside the bottom it has a slight arc to it and fits real tight so modding that board is tight, i found a place to put computer programmer, i'll link up some pics in a day or two, but its on the top part of the tx battery/pcb compartment, facing the steering wheel. where do i get abs cement, i think i might want some when i continue modding my case (better than hot glue or super glue), also since it seems like you know something about plastic, whats the best thing to cut it, i've been using a dremel with a cut-off wheel
ABS cement is easily found at Home Depot or Lowes, look in the pipe section, there's a blue can made by Oatey. I have the normal ABS cement, but they make "medium" not sure how that compares to what I have. I find it's easiest to apply to small areas with a small squeeze bottle or syringe.

To cut the plastic, I'll either use a dremel on lower speed with a normal cut-off wheel, or a hack saw, or xacto blade... cut less material than you need and file/sand/carve down to the size you need.

That battery is 18mm thick, a normal AA battery is 14mm, but if you completely removed the battery tray, you maybe have enough space. I will be able to plan a little better when I get the two TX's in hand. I'll hopefully be able to order everything tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #233
Got Worms?

i was thinking up in the top, oh is abs glue the stuff you use to put pvc pipe together
Old 01-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #234
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i was thinking up in the top, oh is abs glue the stuff you use to put pvc pipe together
ABS pipe, definitely different chemicals. PVC glue won't work. It's in a blue-labeled can and says ABS specifically. Use in a ventillated area since it contains MEK.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #235
Got Worms?

i've been slowly doing more mods and about have the pcb completly fit inside without showing but it will still need some external mods.

heres a couple rough photo's of mine when i was originally building it

Old 01-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #236
I wanna be Dave

I just ordered my T6, so I will post up a build thread in a few days once I start receiving parts. Still researching batteries, and I may still just end up using the 18650 li-ions that I have, but I really don't know what I want to do yet. I also need to send in a few broken BECs for repair, so I'll be waiting on those for a while. (I'll need one to regulate voltage back down to 5v.)
Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #237
I wanna be Dave

One thing I have been thinking about is how to control a dual esc, variable dig set-up. I think it's possible using a simple inexpensive rotary switch.

Radio Shack has a 2-pole, 6 position switch that would work for this type of thing:

Position 1 (all the way left) - Front ESC 100%, Rear 0% (AKA Dig)
2 - Front 100%, rear 33% (Overdrive the front axle)
3 - Front 100%, rear 66% (Overdrive the front axle, but less than pos 2)
4 - Front 100%, rear 100% (normal throttle control)
5 - Front 50%, rear 100% (Underdrive the front by half)
6 (all the way right) - Front 0%, rear 100% (AKA Rear Burn)

To get these percentages, it would be a matter of wiring in a few resistors. for example, position 5 would have a 1K ohm resistor in line with one of the channels' wires to limit it's end-point to 50% (or so) so the transmitter is sending half the throttle position that it sends the other ESC. This may only work for forward throttle, unless you found a 4-pole 5 or 6 position rotary switch, but this is just an idea so far. I haven't played with rotary switches yet. I might go pick one of the RS ones up, and see if I can map out it's positions to see if this might actually work.

Really this could work for any 3 channel radio... not just a T6... But with the T6, you could have switchable 4WS, and dual ESC control... perfect for a super class crawler.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #238
Got Worms?

Here's a link to some info on the rotarty switch, i've already got one in my plans a switch that has 3 input prongs, this is the one i was considering http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_778wt_1165

Last edited by losikid; 01-26-2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: wrong link
Old 02-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #239
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Schematics for the controls and trims:

Quote:
Wires added to the rotary steering switch:
On your steering rotary switch, did you need a 6 position switch if you are only using 4 positions? (Front steer, rear steer, 4WS, Crab)

I'm planning on adding two rotary switches; a 2 pole 5 position for dual ESC control, and a 3 pole, 4 position for the steering switch.

Still trying to figure out how I want to wire it all up though... and if it will all fit in the TQ case.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:10 AM   #240
RCC Addict

Anyone know what has happened to Clockworks? He seems to have just disappeared:?

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/193303-build-5-6ch-pistol-tx-%24120.html
Posted By For Type Date
ZONACRAWLING • Ver Tema - -CRAWLECTRONICS- "Post Oficial" This thread Refback 02-19-2013 05:12 PM