Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Nomadio React Users...Lipo Battery Option

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Nomadio React Users...Lipo Battery Option ... and Cheap Voltage Sensor

Some of you might have already figured out a good battery option but I just got around to it.

After about a year of cussing about the batteries (2700mah BallisticsBatteries and A 2700mah Cheapbatterypack.com) that I use in my react, I finally found a good solution.
Neither of these batteries last more than a couple hours. So i switched to running 4 AA's in a reciever pack, which made me have to remove the bottom cover of the React. People where like "WTF is that" .That setup had the best run time.

Found this battery at a hobby shop and ordered the 5A 6.0v regulator. Perfect fit. Just set my React to make noises when I hit 5.9v (for lipo cutoff). Just had to swap around come connectors to JST's and added a deans and JST to the battery for running/charging it.

About $50 for 1800mah 7.4v lipo and $20 for the regulator. I have spent more than that in stupid AA's and the other two packs mentioned above. Hope this helps someone, cause it took me a while to find the right battery that would fit in there with good capacity. I am trusting that little $20 regulator with a $200 radio to keep the voltage around 6v and no more. I believe Reacts dont like much more than 6v. I can always get a 5.1v regulator too.
Attached Images

Last edited by Szczerba; 09-18-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I tried the same with a cc bec but was afraid to ruin a lipo or the radio...I might try it again sometime with a lipo alarm(about the size of a cc bec).

How long do you get out of the 1800 lipo?

Just need a balance tap next to the charge port...
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:03 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I did this same thing I used a losi regulator and it works well...... BUT

If you leave the pack pluged in to your regulator/radio it will drain your battery slowly and kill it. I even wired a lipo cut off in, but when your radio is off it does not protect anything.
macruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failedabortion View Post
I tried the same with a cc bec but was afraid to ruin a lipo or the radio...I might try it again sometime with a lipo alarm(about the size of a cc bec).

How long do you get out of the 1800 lipo?

Just need a balance tap next to the charge port...
I have a lipo alarm but dont need it ( i dont think). With the regulator it ouputs about 6.1v. As soon as it drops to 5.9v, I set my react alarm to alert me. I dont know if the regluator will output less than 6.1v if less than 6.1v is being input. I can easily hook up the lipo alarm.

Don't know about the run time, just got it installed and it's a monsoon outside.
It has a balance tap on the battery. The JST is for my react hookup and the deans is for charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macruz View Post
I did this same thing I used a losi regulator and it works well...... BUT

If you leave the pack pluged in to your regulator/radio it will drain your battery slowly and kill it. I even wired a lipo cut off in, but when your radio is off it does not protect anything.
Thanks, forgot to mention that. Yep, I figured that out when I saw the regulator had lights. So i just unplug the battery from the regulator and leave the regulator pulled into the react.

Last edited by Szczerba; 09-18-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Speaking of voltage... I was looking at the React voltage "sensor" today and when I found a picture of the "sensor", it was just a normal servo type connector. Two wires, black, red..

Pssssh i have tons of those laying around. So I just soldered one up to my esc +/- and plugged it into the "Batt" slot on the receiver. Had to trim the plug just a tad.

and bam. instant battery voltage on screen

I just toggle back and forth between the react lipo and the truck lipo. Its cool to watch the voltage spike on the truck lipo when you pull the trigger. And instant lipo protection, besides the fx-r cutoff.
Attached Images

Last edited by Szczerba; 10-12-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:10 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I always thought it was something simple like that! Could be good to know how much juice is in the battery before a comp run, to either swap it out or run with it.
LincolnBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:03 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Are you using a transceiver or spektrum rx?
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnBlack View Post
I always thought it was something simple like that! Could be good to know how much juice is in the battery before a comp run, to either swap it out or run with it.
Yep, I used to use a voltmeter everytime before a run just to make sure of the voltage on the truck lipo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failedabortion View Post
Are you using a transceiver or spektrum rx?
Nomadio transceiver(s). I have one in all three of my rigs.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Ran this setup at Crawlapalooza all weekend.
Scale run, Five 2.2 courses (2 were "plan C" comp spot, 3 were "Plan D" comp spot), 3 super courses. Then I jacked around with the scaler/super for a couple more hours.

Voltage started at 8.4v and when I checked it sunday afternoon it was on 8.1v. Not bad. Way better than my previous setups.

Last edited by Szczerba; 10-12-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Nice to meet you this past weekend. That is a very slick React setup, I will definitly have to get on that.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN View Post
Nice to meet you this past weekend. That is a very slick React setup, I will definitly have to get on that.
Thanks it is working well. Just have to turn off the radio and unplug the lipo from the regulator but I can live with that.
And you'll have to set the React voltage alarm to go off a 6v or it might drain that pack. 6v is cutting it close for a lipo pack. I check the voltage every now and then with a voltmeter to be safe.

Looks like we both got 104 points in the 2.2 @ Crawlapalooza 09'.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:51 AM   #12

Default nomadio react with life e?

just looked on a main they have a 6.6 lifeE battery could /i use one of these without a regulator in my react?
pimp_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I think you guys are getting a little too fancy with your Tx batteries. I use a simple, 4-cell, Elite AA Pack from Cheapbatterypacks.com and it works great. I run comps every Monday and I only have to charge the battery once a month. I think I lose most of the charge while it's just sitting.
celsiusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp_9000 View Post
just looked on a main they have a 6.6 lifeE battery could /i use one of these without a regulator in my react?
I think 6.6v might be chancing it. I read on the Nomadio forums (before they shut down) that anything much over 6v is gambling. My setup is just under 6.1v.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsiusprime View Post
I think you guys are getting a little too fancy with your Tx batteries. I use a simple, 4-cell, Elite AA Pack from Cheapbatterypacks.com and it works great. I run comps every Monday and I only have to charge the battery once a month. I think I lose most of the charge while it's just sitting.
Glad your setup is working for you. Mine were not, so I rooted around and put together this option.

I bought the same Cheapbatterypacks.com pack. Didn't last long at all. Ran if for about 2 months, then it just fell off. Now, barely holds a charge for more than few days, and only powers the the React about 5-6 course runs.

I bought the 2400mah or whatever Ballistic batteries 4AA pack too. It's better than the CBP pack. But still is no where near the longevity of the lipo.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:48 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Ok Guys. Take of the little sticker on the bottom of the battery cover plate and see what you find. It's a surprise...
celsiusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:06 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

is there a pot o gold under the sticker?
Fattymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

If your talking about the "Multiplex" name, it's just the case, the internals are different.
motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Nomadio React Users...Lipo Battery Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
I think 6.6v might be chancing it. I read on the Nomadio forums (before they shut down) that anything much over 6v is gambling. My setup is just under 6.1v.

Glad your setup is working for you. Mine were not, so I rooted around and put together this option.

I bought the same Cheapbatterypacks.com pack. Didn't last long at all. Ran if for about 2 months, then it just fell off. Now, barely holds a charge for more than few days, and only powers the the React about 5-6 course runs.

I bought the 2400mah or whatever Ballistic batteries 4AA pack too. It's better than the CBP pack. But still is no where near the longevity of the lipo.
I know this is an old thread.......

But is there an updated battery option for these radios? I love my Nomadio, but I'm less impressed with battery life.

I have experienced the same issue as Szczerba with the CBP 4 cell NIMHs.
Shorty40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #19
Suck it up!

You mean an option better than lipo?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I guess the only other decent option would be a 6.6v LiFe pack.