Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: My CC sidewinder cant go into brushed mode, PLEASE HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 12:16 AM   #1

Default My CC sidewinder cant go into brushed mode, PLEASE HELP!!

Hello everyone!

I am new here, but not new to RC. Just bought some new electronics for my new venom crawler. This is what I purchased: CC sidewinder esc, venom crawler 50t motor, hitec 645 servo and traxxas 4ch am reciever.

Here is my problem.

I programmed the esc manually, set it to brushed reversing (9. option - 2. choice) and my motor doesnt work properly, when i go forward it changes the direction of rotation rapidly (when i pull my triger to go forward it changes the direction of rotation forward or backward of the engine few times in a second). The motor is working properly because i conected it to the battery directly and it is running ok. I also tried to connect the esc to a tamiya silver can motor, and the tamiya motor does the same thing as the crawler motor.

Dont have the castle link, cant find one in my country, and if i order it online i will have to wait a few weeks, so i would appreciate if there is a manual solution.

Thank YOU very much

Last edited by PePe; 10-02-2009 at 12:21 AM.
PePe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
Who's your Daddy-0!

Try to go through the setup on the Sidewinder again. Sounds like it's on brushless mode.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:44 AM   #3
PapaGriz Yo

When the Sidewinder first came out you could only switch to brushed mode by using the Castle Link, there was no way to do it with the radio (even though the manual tells you how).
I don't know if that has changed but if yours has older code on it my guess is that you need the Castle Link.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:35 AM   #4

I went trough the manual programming several times, with no effect. The brushed/brushless selection is in the 9. level of setup Motor Type and I want the second option Brushed Reversing. When I select that option the esc exits the programming mode because it is the last step in programming and the light is solid yellow. After that the motor is doing things that I described in my first post.

What am I doing wrong???
Old 10-02-2009, 01:42 AM   #5
Who's your Daddy-0!

Are you setting it up with you TX?

How to Calibrate the ESC
STEP 1 : Start with the transmitter ON and the ESC switched OFF and not connected to the
battery.
STEP 2 : Plug a battery into your Castle ESC.
STEP 3 : Hold full throttle on the transmitter and turn the ESC’s switch ON. Keep holding full throttle on the transmitter. If all your connections are correct, you will hear one multi-toned
initialization “ring” from the motor (all tones are played by the ESC vibrating the motor).
STEP 4 : After a second or two, the green LED on the ESC will blink rapidly and the motor will
“ring” 4 times rapidly in a row (accepting the full throttle endpoint). After the green LED
flashes and tones, the ESC will blink the red LED. At this point the full throttle endpoint has
been set within the ESC and now it’s looking for the full brake endpoint (red LED blinking).
STEP 5 : Move the throttle trigger to the full brake position and hold full brake. After a
few seconds, the ESC will flash the red LED and ring 4 times rapidly (accepting full brake
endpoint).
STEP 6 : After accepting the full brake endpoint the ESC will then blink the yellow LED. Now
relax the trigger to the neutral position. The ESC will now ring 4 times and flash the yellow
LED rapidly to accept the neutral position. 16 17
After accepting the neutral position, the ESC will ring twice and flash ALL the LEDs. This is
the arming tone and LED indication that the ESC IS NOW ARMED and the car will respond to
throttle inputs from your transmitter.
From this point on, when you connect batteries and turn the switch on, the ESC will give the
initialization tone and flash after a battery is plugged in and the switch is turned on, and
the arming tone will ring a second or two later. If the ESC is programmed for the Auto-Lipo
setting, it will beep the number of cells in your Lipo pack between the initialization tones and
the arming tones. After the arming tone plays, the ESC is ACTIVE and will respond to throttle
application.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:47 AM   #6

I did the calibration several times. My leds lite when i apply throttle and reverse, my servo is working properly, i realy dont know what to do next.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:50 AM   #7
Who's your Daddy-0!

Get a Castle Link daddy-0. You will want one anyways;) You will need it down the road to program your BEC, set your ESC's and change battery settings, ect........
Old 10-02-2009, 01:56 AM   #8

Will not be buying a bec so soon, CASTLE LINK will be coming in a month or so, i would like to solve my problem sonner and manually. Either I dont know how to fix it or my esc is not working as it should.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:59 AM   #9
Who's your Daddy-0!

Read post #3 again PePe! Other than what we have offered all you can do is call Castle?
Old 10-02-2009, 02:06 AM   #10

My sidewinder has the option in the manual programming to change the motor type. Only that it seems that option is not responding. I allready contacted CC and I am waiting for reply. I thought that there is some simple solution from some experienced sidewinder users on the forum.

Thank you for the effort and time, greetings
Old 10-02-2009, 02:09 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Could be an older sidewinder and newer manual. Don't think I've ever received a castle product with the newest firmware.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failedabortion View Post
Could be an older sidewinder and newer manual. Don't think I've ever received a castle product with the newest firmware.

No I think that is not the case here, I have all the options from the ED guide in my esc.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:15 AM   #13
Who's your Daddy-0!

It could still be a older ESC, older stock. Not saying it's used. I don't think your understanding what we are saying, good luck daddy-0
Old 10-02-2009, 06:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
It could still be a older ESC, older stock. Not saying it's used. I don't think your understanding what we are saying, good luck daddy-0

I think you dont understand, if you dont know the answer then go somewhere where you can help, because this means nothin to me daddy-0
Old 10-02-2009, 06:56 AM   #15
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

It probably has the origional firmware on there and needs an update via Castle link. They didn't catch the issue until I pointed it out to them, because origionally they were not going to have brushed mode on the ESC- yet they put it into the manual.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #16

Dont get bothered with my persistency but my ESC has the option of selecting what type of motor to use in manual programming (with my TX). MOTOR TYPE selection level is number 9 and I get nine (9) yellow flashes and then one (1) flash for brushless, two (2) flashes for brushed reversing, and finaly 3 flashes brushed high power. I went trough the procedure many times, selected second option, and no effect, same problem...
Old 10-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #17
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I understand this. It is a bug in the first version firmware. It flashes correctly, but does not work.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:05 AM   #18
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PePe View Post
Dont get bothered with my persistency but my ESC has the option of selecting what type of motor to use in manual programming (with my TX). MOTOR TYPE selection level is number 9 and I get nine (9) yellow flashes and then one (1) flash for brushless, two (2) flashes for brushed reversing, and finaly 3 flashes brushed high power. I went trough the procedure many times, selected second option, and no effect, same problem...
You must understand, it says you can select motor type manually, but on older firmware versions you can't do it. It can only be changed with the Castle Link. That's how mine was.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #19

Finally I understand, thank You very much!
Old 10-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #20
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PePe View Post
I think you dont understand, if you dont know the answer then go somewhere where you can help, because this means nothin to me daddy-0
This is why guys don't get help when they ask for it. Try and help and get smart ass comments Please show me where I didn't try and help you through this entire thread? I was the first one to post up to try and help!