Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: BEC issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 04:59 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default BEC issues

Alrighty, I've tried searching and nothing really covered my problem (perhaps my google-fu is google-fried?)
specs -
Proboats 4.8-12V waterproof ESC
Hobbywing BEC
Traxxas 3ch (2215) Rx
Venom micro dig dervo
TowardPro MG996R digital steering servo
540/550 motor pulled out of a Powerwheels car (disney princees jeep my duagther destroyed). strong as ....

symptoms -
crawling around everything works perfectly for about 10-15mins then the BEC shuts off, and the car jusy runs off (slowly) and the servo locks in whatever position it's in. I was running it at 6V using a 7.2V 1200mAh 2/3A pack (older pack) but since switched to 5V with a 9.6V 1200mAh 2/3A pack and the problem persists.
If I wait a few seconds the BEC lights up again and all is good for about 5 seconds of steering or throttle use. sitting idle it'll stay on.

Is it the MG996R drawing too much when mixed with the dig and RX?
would pulling the power wire from the RX and running direct to the steering servo with the BEC and using the ESC's built in anemic BEC to power the dig servo and RX solve this one (by re-attaching the ESC's red lead)?
and, I'm correct in my assumption that I would leave the ground (brown in this case) and signal wire (orange) at the Rx and splice the red directly into the servo's lead harness? do I run the BEC ground lead to the RX? or splice it into the servo lead as well?

Thanks for any help in this matter.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

sorry to complicated for me. i dont understand this new wave of bec myself. when my family&i got into the hobby 20+ yrs ago, we learned the bec with the lil 4aa pack that went with the stock [switches] esc that came with vehicles, then when we moved up to the real esc. we ditched the 4aa pack &never looked back. but now this crawling thing, i still just plug everything up as usual but im ol school. i dont have these new zillion dollar radios .spektrum this &spektrum that. but then again im not in competition with anyone . so i dont need it. i dont have any trouble with steering while throttling. youll find your answer on here.
rctrucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:25 AM   #3

I think if you ran the bec from battery strate to the servo it should work for you
rocket man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

The more servos you run the harder your BEC has to work.

Try wiring the BEC direct from the battery to the steering servo and only have the signal wire for the steering servo going to the steering chanel on the RX.

Let the esc power the dig servo as it should really need that much power to be a problem and from what I have seen you usual stop before turning the dig on or off so wouldnt affect power to the motor when in use.

The way I understand it the lower the output voltage and the higher the input voltage the harder a BEC has to work, try switching back to 6v output when you rewire.

Check out post #17 here for a diagram for the bec ans steering wiring.
Definitive wiring diagrams for BECs Rx Servos Motors etc.

If your still having issues after that, then maybe your BEC just isnt up to the job at hand for that servo, I hear a lot of people saying how good the CC BEC is and I know when my current BEC decides to give me any trouble Ill probably invest in one of theirs as too many people use it and say its good for it to not be.
Crawl_Before_Walking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

im not familiar with that bec, how many amps does it supply???

id try wiring the steering servo direct to the bec as stated above and run the rx/dig off the esc, see if that helps. also when it cuts out, see how warm the bec is getting
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

It's putting out 5-6V (switchable) at 3A/5A peak. It's nothing special but it's only running one standard sized servoa TQ3 Rx and a micro dig servo. I was using it fine in a Cliff Climber running two Hobbico CS70MG's, and an old trinity spider steering servo as a mechanical dig unit. I'm thinking the TP MG996R being digital is just pulling too much through it. I could swap back to the CS70 but the MG996R is working fine and is stronger right now. I'm going wire it direct to the servo as suggested and see what happens. I figure I'll run the Rx and dig servo off the 1A ESC BEC. FrankenBooger is currently just a sordid collection osf leftovers, but if I can't get this sorted out I'll have to spring for a better BEC (but that's the final step, once other possibles are eliminated - I'm not as fan of throwing cash at problems).

Last edited by Rockfrog; 02-27-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #7

you can try getting the wirer for computer to bec and program for VOLTS. like 6.0 most servos and I think it is 10 amp for bec
rocket man is offline   Reply With Quote