Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: In your opinion, what's the perfect crawling motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2005, 09:49 AM   #1
06 Super National Champ

Default In your opinion, what's the perfect crawling motor?

OK, guys...let's hear it.

There's a very good reason I'm asking this in here...this isn't just a "bench crawling" type of thing.

We all know how well the Integy 55 singles work, but we also know how hard they are to get ahold of.

If another company were to produce crawler-specific motors, what specs would they need to have?

How many turns, what type of magnets, what can size, etc.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
R.I.P. Chip

In a clod buster I really like the 55 turns. They have gobs of torque, and when running them on 8 cells like I do they make plenty of wheel speed. Basically what I did was gear it to get a good amount of torque, then add cells to get the wheelspeed I wanted.

I basically like enough torque to where I cannot stall the motors under normal crawling conditions, and enough speed to shoot up big walls when needed. The 55 has plenty of torque so maybe if we had a 45 turn motor and lost a little of the torque we could gain wheelspeed and loose the 8th cell for more weight savings. I am not sure because our current motor selection pretty much consists of 27turns, then 55 turns. That is a huge gap I really think we could benefit with something in the middle of those.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:24 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I only know 2 type of 55T motor, Integy Matrix 55T and Eagle Racing 55T.
I have the Eagle 55T and not sure how it will perform against the Integy. I m still tryin to find out.

But..

If another company are going to produce a crawler specific motor, I personally favour the more torque against speed. Magnet wise...no idea lol maybe rare earth magnet???
Speed Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:38 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

using cobalt magnets would give you lots of torque and you wouldnt have to compromise speed. a 30-35 turn cobalt motor would kick ***.
Frakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
MODERATOR™

Just as jason said, if there were maybe a 45 turn motor, or 40 turn, I think they'd be about spot on with a 6 or 7 cell battery.

I use a 55t lathe in both the Clod and the TXT, and as someone mentioned, they just seem kinda flat. I'm limited to 7 cells due to the Novak charger's limit, but it's so close to perfect (8 cells might be the ticket...). And that's why I think the 40 - 45 turn motor would be great with 6 or 7 cells.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 06:01 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I believe that yokahamo(spell) make a 35 turn motor that they use in their drifters.
that might do very well in a Tamiya XC chassis. itd do ok in a clod and a little better when with a GD-600 on a shafty. But my integy 55s do great on 6 cells and 10 tooth pinions. When it does bog down just apply more torq or a back up and go for a greater speed. maby thats why my clod hates me crawling. To the floor driving.

nate
Xtremekrawler8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I think that crawling has gotten to be like off road racing. What works best in the 2wd buggy isn't the same motor that works in the 4wd buggy. The stadium trucks will run thier best on a third kind of motor. It sounds bad but I don't think there is a silver bullet when it comes "a" crawling motor.

In my opinion, 55T is perfect in a TLT based rig. Really good torque compared to the weight of the truck. Plus low RPM's so you don't have to try to cram a gear reduction in that small of a rig.

Clods I think would be great with a 40/45 turn arm, cobalt magnets in a 540 can. More torque but an increase in punch for "popping" over or through a gate on a 6 cell pack.

TXT's need the big motor. 550 can, 35/40 turm arm, cobalt magnets. I run a MM in mine right now. I hate that I have to run a 3 to1 gear reduction to get the torque in needs and get good wheel speed. Think of the weight/friction you could get rid of if you got great torque out of just one motor.

I have made about 10 motors in the last 3 months. Playing with these turns, they seem to work. I just can't keep the motors together longer than 10 runs (unwinding, shorting out, one even caught fire).

Just my thoughts
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:05 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I bought 5 pole motors from a farm/auto supply store... $6 and its gone through quite a bit so far.. enough torque... maybe in need of a little more wheel speed.. but in my opinion I love these motors and the price is amazing...
rcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:28 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

well i think the 55t is great for a TLT based rig.. cant say for any thing else but 55t is perfect for the ammount of wheel spin vs GOBS of torque... I would have to say though a 5 pole armature with like OHH 30-35 turns which would I THINK equivalate in about the same rpms of a 55t but being a 5pole arm it would have more torque for thoes sticky situations... and mabey some Cobalt or rare earth magnets for some more torque
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:38 PM   #10
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If I were to design a crawler motor, It would be an 8 or 12 pole inrunner brushless ("rare earth" mags for efficiency) designed to run on 11.1 volts @ 50k rpm, with an inline reduction that gears it back down to 1200rpm per volt @output shaft. About a half horse or less is enough power.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:00 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

For those of us that like to run off the shelve RC stuff we can use on our other cars, JRH's idea is a little out there. Just get us some motors that doesn't spin at 18,000 RPM with a little more torque on 7.2 volts.

I know that brushless and lipos are the way RC is heading. I still can't get myself to spend all that money on first, second, and if you are lucky third generation chargers, batteries, controlers, and motors. I like knowing that the pricey stuff in my toy isn't going to break.

No offence JRH, I like my dumb electronics and only having 3300mah batteries
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:55 AM   #12

I just want optimum power to weight ratios. I buy one motor and it works in all of my cars with different gearing (well, i have motors for torque and motors for high rpm efficiency). I have broken more brushed motors than brushless.

brushless will be cheaper than brushed in the near future. It's really damn close now for the smaller outrunners. you can get a cheap inrunner setup for a stadium truck for 200 now. thats cheaper than a nice mod motor and super rooster.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:31 AM   #13
TEAM MODERATOR

I've wound several different turn motors and have found that a 65 turn works well enough for me. I myself like a little slower style of crawling rather than the rock racing style. Right now I'm running a 3.8 GD600,72tooth spur and a 17 tooth pinion. If I feel the need to go a little faster I just swap out the 3.8 gears for the 3.0 or 2.5. All 3 set ups work good,I just happen to be currently running the 3.8.

In my sons Twin we are running a regular ol' 55 turn,2.5 GD,50 tooth spur and a 17 tooth pinion. He seems to like the faster "bashing" style of crawling so we geared his a little taller.

After I finish up my round of mods this time I wanna play around with timing,brushes and springs to see what results might come up with my current winds.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:49 PM   #14

I wonder if anyone remembers the astroflight cobalt motors. I had the 05 and that was the greatest brushed motor Ive ever had. It was sealed from the elements had huge brushes and a 7 stage armature with cobalt magnets. It was a 9 turn but because it was a 7 stage arm it had gobs of torque, plus it would last a long time on a charge. But I also seem to remember they had a pullmaster motor that had so much torque they could easily destroy clod axles. Wish I could still get a pair of them. But I am finding different types of these motors such as primax. I believe if there is a higher wind I can find it might be far superior that any other lathe motor. Just a hunch, Ill let you know what I find out.
RC JEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:11 PM   #15

I remember them. You can still get them, but they are still very pricey.

http://www.astroflight.com/e/env/000...re-Cobalt.html

the 05 is $99 apeice. It's one helluva motor though. It would walk all over a lathe motor and then come back to kick it in the side. 2.5 amp no load current is very respectable too.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:10 PM   #16
TEAM MODERATOR

JRH and RC JEDI,

What exactly makes these motors so high? Or are they just really proud of their stuff? Is it the 7 stage arm?

Like I said above,I'm happy with my 65 turn and the 55 turn in my sons truck. I would be interested in a motor with better mags or more arms or both if that would truely make them even more efficient and or gobs more torque.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:47 PM   #17

These motors are higher power and efficiency than your ROAR legal motors. They achieve this by using stronger magnets and having more attention to armature losses. This is why it is so much more money.

The higher pole count on the O5 Cobalt gives it a higher torque value, but it trades off rpm/volt in the act. A three pole brushed can have the same torque, but it will be at a higher rpm. Its kinda like a blown ricer vs NA 350 small block. Where do you want the torque to come from?
Old 11-20-2005, 06:26 PM   #18
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
Its kinda like a blown ricer vs NA 350 small block. Where do you want the torque to come from?

Well,I want max torque from idle to wide open Thats why I drive a Cummins turbo

Seriously,thanks for the info.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:22 PM   #19

JRH is right. Funny thing is I just bought a pair of the pullmasters on ebay an hour ago. Im way happy about that. Anyways, The astro motors are better because they have sealed machined aluminum endbell and cap, 7 stage armature and cobalt earth magnes "alot of them". The brushes are also huge in comparison to the standard motors. And they have adjustable timing. ^5 on the cummings . And Id say the astroflight cobalt is the turbo diesel of electric motors lol.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:26 PM   #20

Heres what I got. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1