Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: RC4WD XR4 w/ receiver (review & impressions)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #1

Default RC4WD XR4 w/ receiver (review & impressions)

RC4WD's controller offers a 4ch radio to those who don't want to spend a whole lot. It offers a 2.4ghz frequency with BND technology, this is a huuuge plus over the factory AM frequency of the AX10-RTC. CH 1-2 are your steering and throttle with EPA adjustments and Trims. I have yet to find a dead zone adjustment and don't think that there is one.

Ch 3-4 I don't have other servos to try out but I plan on a DIG and/or 4wh steering using a PUNK 4WS unit so the 3 way switches will work fine for me.

So far my impressions are that the steering responds very well the throttle like I said would be nice to get rid of some of the "dead zone". I haven't had a chance to check the range of the unit but it sure is nice NOT having an antenna sticking out! My biggest complaint is the manual that comes with it really doesn't give any real helpful info as far as a legend to what all the settings mean.

Below are pictures of the unit.

Packaging.

Box containing the controller.

Contents of box

Side by Side with the AX10 RTC controller

Top view

Up and running

I will update more as I use it and once I fill up ch 3 & 4
SASDakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The real problem is the lack of epas on 3 and 4. Using it for a mechanical dig or rear steering is not great because of that one fact alone.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
The real problem is the lack of epas on 3 and 4. Using it for a mechanical dig or rear steering is not great because of that one fact alone.
Right, which is why I want to use a PUNK setup which just activates a mixed channel with the steering. It adds more expense later but is less up front... I guess either way your spending your money.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

ive got the same remote & I have been really pleased with it so far

X2 on the lack of info listed in the manual
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I know that it adds to the cost of running this radio, but you could use servo stretchers so that you have epa's for channels 3 and 4.

http://www.servocity.com/html/180o_servo_stretcher.html
TruckerBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #6

Thanks for adding this to the thread as a viable option for EPAs
Old 11-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGcrawler418 View Post
ive got the same remote & I have been really pleased with it so far

X2 on the lack of info listed in the manual
Are you in Yelm, WA?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASDakota View Post
Thanks for adding this to the thread as a viable option for EPAs
No problem. They're easy to use and don't take up too much space. wantsAsummit also makes a 3 true position adapter that's available in the vendor section.

Last edited by TruckerBrad; 11-06-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: added info
TruckerBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

so u need a adapter 2 run it with a 3 position switch? i thought it was built in?
tuf-gmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:56 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASDakota View Post
Right, which is why I want to use a PUNK setup which just activates a mixed channel with the steering. It adds more expense later but is less up front... I guess either way your spending your money.
Yea the punk should work fine on an MOA rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerBrad View Post
I know that it adds to the cost of running this radio, but you could use servo stretchers so that you have epa's for channels 3 and 4.

http://www.servocity.com/html/180o_servo_stretcher.html
Yes, you can use one of those. The problem is that it is just extra stuff to fry and extra weight to deal with up in the chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerBrad View Post
No problem. They're easy to use and don't take up too much space. wantsAsummit also makes a 3 true position adapter that's available in the vendor section.
If I was going to use one I would use his...Support our vendors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuf-gmh View Post
so u need a adapter 2 run it with a 3 position switch? i thought it was built in?
No you dont "need" anything to use the 3 position switch. The problem with a mechanical dig or rear steering is that if you cant set your end points you will fry your servo in no time.

Maybe wantAsummit could do something internally in the radio to add epa's to 3 and 4. That could be a good solution. For dual ESC crawlers I think wantAsummits DX3E mod is probably the best solution for the money.

Not trying to bash this radio but I want people to know what the limitations are. For the money it is probably a great radio as long as you dont need epa's on 3 and 4.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:12 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

oh ok well im runnin a punk rc dig which is electrial? i think? new 2 all this! so i will need 1 of those stervo stretchers 4 my rear steer
tuf-gmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:37 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuf-gmh View Post
oh ok well im runnin a punk rc dig which is electrial? i think? new 2 all this! so i will need 1 of those stervo stretchers 4 my rear steer
Or, if you're running a Hitec digital servo, you can get Hitec's servo programmer and program the end points into the servo itself.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
Or, if you're running a Hitec digital servo, you can get Hitec's servo programmer and program the end points into the servo itself.
this is also another feasible option
Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I think the Wantasummit would be a great alternative to run for this radio as it also gives you a better setup for a the dig to really give you all the benefit as well. I an running the wantasummit for my ax10 with a dx3r (which you have to run wide open and adjust the epa's on the wantasummit itself) and it is really cool.

What I want to know is how to adjust the throttle end points and is it something you can do on the fly? I share a mini with my son and I have it setup so that I can use the throttle adjustment on the fly during comps and I bounce between 85% and 125% depending on wheel speed needed. In order to get my son his own radio can I adjust between the throttle epa's with this radio that easily on the fly?? Thanks.

RickM
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I think the Wantasummit would be a great alternative to run for this radio as it also gives you a better setup for a the dig to really give you all the benefit as well. I an running the wantasummit for my ax10 with a dx3r (which you have to run wide open and adjust the epa's on the wantasummit itself) and it is really cool.

What I want to know is how to adjust the throttle end points and is it something you can do on the fly? I share a mini with my son and I have it setup so that I can use the throttle adjustment on the fly during comps and I bounce between 85% and 125% depending on wheel speed needed. In order to get my son his own radio can I adjust between the throttle epa's with this radio that easily on the fly?? Thanks.

RickM
Unless this is a question about the XR4, I would say your in the wrong thread. As for the EPA on the fly, in the XR4 you could have 2 profiles with different EPAs and just switch the profile.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #16
RCC Addict

I am not sure I am looking at the wrong thread. I was addressing the issue of no epa's on the XR4. The Wantasummit will fix that. What I was wondering about the XR4 is this. I have a scroll wheel on the back of my dx3r that allows me to adjust between the percentage of throttle while driving. This is great to use during a comp. Can I do the same with the XR4 and if so is the adjustment button/dial easy to access hopefully with my trigger hand?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #17

Quote:
I am not sure I am looking at the wrong thread. I was addressing the issue of no epa's on the XR4. The Wantasummit will fix that. What I was wondering about the XR4 is this. I have a scroll wheel on the back of my dx3r that allows me to adjust between the percentage of throttle while driving. This is great to use during a comp. Can I do the same with the XR4 and if so is the adjustment button/dial easy to access hopefully with my trigger hand?

Thanks
Oh ok, my apologies. The way it sounded I wasn't sure what u were getting at. The XR4 does NOT have a feature like this, it is a menu setting which requires a few key buttons to be pushed.

This is a VERY budget controller and to be honest I am not totally happy with it the more I have been using it. It works but it is like I said very basic.

On a side note. I just picked up a dig so I will be testing the thumb switch shortly.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #18
RCC Addict

The DX3r does also have a few menu items to get to the throttle epa's as well, I just leave that setting up on my menu screne while driving. I guess I can look at it this way. For the money it is far better than the the stock losi RTR radio.

As far as the dig goes if the 3 and 4 channels do not have a epa adjustment then you really almost definitely need a wantasummit thingy. It will save you time/frustration, and money regarding setup with servo's and such. Plus you can also run it from full 4 to full lock, and then to free.

Last edited by RickM; 12-07-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #19

Quote:
The DX3r does also have a few menu items to get to the throttle epa's as well, I just leave that setting up on my menu screne while driving. I guess I can look at it this way. For the money it is far better than the the stock losi RTR radio.
This is why I replaced my AX10 RTC radio, plus its 2.4 BND so no interference like the stock axial ones.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

and for some...its a better radio price wise...not everyone can afford the best....

would like to hear more about this radio..I am very interested in it now that TB popped in with that end point gizzmo!!! very cool.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote