JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2011, 06:18 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Thanks John!
silverback4jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Well castle got my package today and they emailed me saying that it was beyond repair. And that they would replace it with a refurb or a new one at their discretion and that they would mail it back when it became available.

So i called them and asked if it was being covered under warranty or if it was something i was gonna have to pay for. The lady told me she was able to cover it under warranty at this time. I explained to her that i had just purchased the ESC, the CCBEC, and the batteries all on 24 Jan 2011. I explained to her that the first guy at tech support said to send it in that it sounded like the battery had a short and caused it to burn up. I told her i couldnt understand why the battery could have caused it to melt the way that it did. She then told me if i used that same battery again and the esc fried they would not replace it under warranty.

Does anyone know how to check a 3s lipo to see if it has a short? I would think it would show it on its own with puffing or something. But i am new to the whole lipo world. I charged it once with balancing and dont understand it.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

If the battery had a short in it, the BEC would be the LAST thing I would be worrying about! It would be "rather obvious" if the battery had a short.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
If the battery had a short in it, the BEC would be the LAST thing I would be worrying about! It would be "rather obvious" if the battery had a short.
Would a good charger even let it charge?
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by articzap View Post
Would a good charger even let it charge?
I can't see how it would.
A short between cells would start a fire as well as drain 1 or more cells. The total pack voltage would then be too low to let a charge start the charge (unless maybe you plugged in a 3S and told the charger it was a 2S?)

I really have a hard time reading that tech support stated it was a battery short.........
Old 02-24-2011, 05:50 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

I was thinking the same thing guys. I would expect the battery to puff or even catch fire if it were to have a short. But i promise the tech at castle said that there had to have been a short at the battery for the negative battery side on the ESC to have melted/explode the way it did. It just doesnt make any sense to me.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback4jack View Post
I was thinking the same thing guys. I would expect the battery to puff or even catch fire if it were to have a short. But i promise the tech at castle said that there had to have been a short at the battery for the negative battery side on the ESC to have melted/explode the way it did. It just doesnt make any sense to me.
Is it possible the ESC heatsink hit a live wire? I remember with the first Novak TempFET ESC's people were shorting wires to the heatsinks and blowing them up (running 4 or 6 cell Sub-C NiCads).
Old 02-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

I couldnt find any wires that had split and none of the heat sink had any spots like an arc spot. It was very strange. I was driving when it made a sound like the esc reset and then the white smoke began. I wish i would have taken a picture of the side of the esc before i mailed it off. It was almost like it exploded and melted all at once.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #30

PLEASE kep us posted on this if at all possible.I just bought a sidewinder v2 the cc bec and a 55 turn motor and a 3s 5000mah lipo it was its 3rd or 4th run and I started to crawl a rock face and all of a sudden I heard a hiss and saw smoke I grabbed it and ripped the lipo out and chucked it I figured that was it and it was still smoking and looked and it was the esc the side of it is almost melted off I totally dont understand wtf happened as I have never had any issues with castle only thing I am worried about is I cut the connecter ends off the motor wires so I fear my warranty is GONE.
jaybels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Well I got home today and had a box in the mailbox from castle. Brand new SCT esc and brand new CCBEC. I had sent them both in since they were connected when it happened. Now I just have to put them back together and put them in the truck. I still dont understand the battery issue but I am worried to run that lipo in the truck again.

Castle was very easy to work with on the warranty/repair.

Jaybels that sounds almost the same thing that happened to me. I dont know if cutting the motor connectors off voids the warranty or not but the whole negative battery side of mine was melted and looked like it had exploded.