Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: where can I find a replacement antenna??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default where can I find a replacement antenna??

I was at a local competition and set my spektrum dx3s down. well someone accidentally kicked it and it broke the antenna. I super glued it and that held for a "WHOLE" day. I have looked all over the internet and ebay and everything and cant find one. I found a guy on RCtech and I pm'd him 3 times and he still hasnt returned my messages. he showed a pic of the one I need for only 8 frickin dollars but I have been trying to get a hold of him for 2 or 3 weeks now. If anyone has some ideas PLEASE let me know. I am at the point now that I dont care what it costs I just want it fixed.
slammin1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Check out www.horizonhobby.com they seem to have replacements for all spectrum tx's. Just search for "antenna"

I think this is it but make sure:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM6819

Last edited by forbid89; 02-12-2011 at 08:13 PM.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

nope. thats not it unfortunately. everwhere i read about it they say that the replacement antenna is not available. I am really not happy but what are you going to do right!! teach me to buy a $200 damn radio!!
Old 02-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Maybe you could post of picture of what is broken. As long as it's a 2.4ghz antenna it should work. Have you tried to glue it with some JB weld? Or else hit up tap plastics and get some real solvent plastic glue. I don't know what kind of plastic they use to make their housings, ABS?

found this link, its about replacing a DX6 antenna but it might similar

http://www.chucknori.com/changing%20antenna%20dx6i.html

Last edited by forbid89; 02-12-2011 at 09:47 PM.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Check out "Nearson" brand antennas as sold by Digi-Key.

I have a feeling that the antenna discussed in this thread:

replacement Radio antenna for spectrum radio

will likely also work as a replacement for the DX3s antenna. Can't be 100% sure as I've never owned a DX3s.

Things you need to check:

1. How the antenna base mounts into the transmitter case.

2. Length of pigtail: Is it long enough?

3. Correct connector on end of pigtail.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:56 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I don't know if you just broke the housing or the actual antenna, sounded like just the housing . if so, just take off the rest of the housing, and make a "cap" for the hole. just put the antenna in the TX body @ the top.
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I think I found one on digi-key. here is some pics of how it is broke. I literally got to use this maybe 6 times. you can see where it is white looking that is where I applied some super glue.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I thought that all the Spektrum antennas were the same, the only difference is the mount and the length of the lead coming out of the antenna base. I have used DX7 (and JR DSX9) antennas on the DX3R and DX3.0. I just had to dismantle the base to make them fit.

SPMR75001 is the part number we use here in Australia. Other websites say to use SPMR75000 but I have found the SPMR75001 to have the correct length lead for the DX3E/S/R radios.

Unfortunately this part number doesnt seem to exist in the USofA. You can also try a JR antenna or the Losi.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

can you put some thin walled tubing of some sort around it
CPT.HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRoo View Post
I thought that all the Spektrum antennas were the same, the only difference is the mount and the length of the lead coming out of the antenna base. I have used DX7 (and JR DSX9) antennas on the DX3R and DX3.0. I just had to dismantle the base to make them fit.

SPMR75001 is the part number we use here in Australia. Other websites say to use SPMR75000 but I have found the SPMR75001 to have the correct length lead for the DX3E/S/R radios.

Unfortunately this part number doesnt seem to exist in the USofA. You can also try a JR antenna or the Losi.
The antennas for the modules use either an SMA or RP-SMA (can't remember which), the transmitter antennas use mmcx or mcx connectors (again, my memory fails me....LOL!).

Narly1
Old 02-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin1984 View Post
I think I found one on digi-key. here is some pics of how it is broke. I literally got to use this maybe 6 times. you can see where it is white looking that is where I applied some super glue.
In addition to the other selection criteria I mentioned, make sure you select an antenna with the correct frequency range.

Narly1
Old 03-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

there is someone on rctech.net by the name of fix218 that sells exact fit antennas for my radio and for only $9 shipped!! thats frickin awesome and my radio will be like new as soon as i figure out how to install it. the antenna wire has some kind of silicon goop on the end that goes to the board and I dont know if I should replace it or maybe I will just solder the new wire to the old wire thats on there?? anyone got suggestions.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

The "goop" is probably just an extra measure to fix the wire down in an effort to help keep the mmcx plug from coming loose from the board mounted socket.

I took a look at the antenna you're considering on rctech. Remove the "goop" as necessary get the old antenna wire and plug free and then install the new one in its place. If you feel so inclined, "re-goop" everything down after that.

You don't want to get the "goop" in between the plug and socket. Also, choose your "goop" carefully....some contain acetic acid which is corrosive, bad for delicate electronics......

Narly1