Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hobby Wing EZRUN crawler system

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

PM sent, JRH so I don't go too far OT with this thread.
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #42
Rock Stacker

Default hobby wing system

i think they are a great system for the money i have 2 systems in 2 trucks and i cant say anything bad about them at all
harokingxpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Is drag brake determined by the esc or by the motor?
Nitro_Geezer_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #44
Rock Stacker

drag brake is determined threw the esc seeing how its not sencered
harokingxpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #45
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Both. ESC resistance and programming will determine how strong it is, and the motor construction will determine the peak value that can be obtained at the rpm the motor is spinning.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #46
RCC Addict

I just read through this thread and I am wondering do these ESC's work with standard brushed motors.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #47
RCC Addict

So i googled, haha and I found that this ESC does not support brushed motors.
That is for future reference for anyone shopping for these setups.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...hed-motor.html
Is where i found the information. Post #6 apparently straight from the horses mouth.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Anyone having issues with this ESC not wanting to go into forward after going into reverse? I can be crawling just fine and if I go into reverse then try to go forward again, I have to push the trigger from neutral to forward SEVERAL times before it will finally go. And then, when it does, it's full throttle. I have tried reprogramming the forward-neutral-reverse sync with my radio as well as changing the CH2 from REV (as suggested by the manual) to NOR then switching two wires on my Holmes Hobbies Revolver Black. It exhibits the same problems, but this time when trying to go into reverse. I have the program card and have verified that I have it programmed for the reverse crawl mode. It's acting like the old "double pump" reverse, but even worse because it's not just once that I have to "pump" it. I'm running this on a 2.2 BMVII that's pretty light powered by a Sky Lipo 40C 2S 1300mah battery. I'm also using a T-Pro MG996 servo that currently does not have a BEC, but has a Novak GlitchBuster (I think that's what it's called) ran off of the ESC.

This unpredictability of this ESC is making me want to go back to my Rebel II and 55T brushed. I LOVE the Revolver, but this ESC is another story.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #49

Default Re: Hobby Wing EZRUN crawler system

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman72 View Post
Anyone having issues with this ESC not wanting to go into forward after going into reverse? I can be crawling just fine and if I go into reverse then try to go forward again, I have to push the trigger from neutral to forward SEVERAL times before it will finally go. And then, when it does, it's full throttle. I have tried reprogramming the forward-neutral-reverse sync with my radio as well as changing the CH2 from REV (as suggested by the manual) to NOR then switching two wires on my Holmes Hobbies Revolver Black. It exhibits the same problems, but this time when trying to go into reverse. I have the program card and have verified that I have it programmed for the reverse crawl mode. It's acting like the old "double pump" reverse, but even worse because it's not just once that I have to "pump" it. I'm running this on a 2.2 BMVII that's pretty light powered by a Sky Lipo 40C 2S 1300mah battery. I'm also using a T-Pro MG996 servo that currently does not have a BEC, but has a Novak GlitchBuster (I think that's what it's called) ran off of the ESC.

This unpredictability of this ESC is making me want to go back to my Rebel II and 55T brushed. I LOVE the Revolver, but this ESC is another story.
This is what i am running into. No replys. help anyone
artimus gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

I have run into the same thing. Sometimes the thing works flawlessly and other times it won't go into forward just like was mentioned earlier. Then Saturday it stopped working all together. The next day I plugged everything back in to try and troubleshoot it... worked fine. I'm done with this ESC, it just isn't dependable. (even though my brother has the same setup and has NEVER had a problem)
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

I ended up getting rid of my issues by buying a Turnigy Advanced 2-in-1 programmer. This allows you to connect the ESC to a PC much like the CastleLink or TekinWire. From there, I was able to download and update with the lastest firmware. This completely removed my issues.

FYI...the Turnigy 2-in-1 is the exact same thing as the Hobbywing unit. I went with the Turnigy unit because HobbyPartz never seemed to have them in stock. HobbyKing had the Turnigy for just a bit less and they were in stock.

Hope that helps you all out.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

i had problems with my hobbywing crawler esc when i FIRST installed it...
wouldnt even run correctly. hobbypartz warrantied it out and they are sending me a new one, someday..
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #53
Quarry Creeper

I bought the program card from hobbypartz and have programmed it several times. Still have problems. Brake works great though.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Do you have this one?

LED Program Card For Brushless ESC

Or this one?

HobbyWing 2-in-1 Advanced Professional LCD Program Box

You need the second one in order to be able to download and flash the firmware on the ESC. This is the one I have, but it seems that now HobbyKing is out of stock.

HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy 2 in 1 Professional Program Box for Brushless ESC
Old 04-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

I have the first one. Didn't know you could update the firmware. Wish I'd known that before I bought it.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Yes, you can update the firmware using the 2-in-1. Well worth the extra cost, especially if you are having issues. You can also adjust a lot of stuff, similar to the program card through the software. The one big thing that is missing that I would like to have is throttle curves.

Appears that biggest issue right now is finding one. At least with HobbyKing, you can register your email to obtain updates on stock. So, as soon as some come in you will be notified.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #57

Thanks for the info. yea looks like everybody is out of stock. I did see some on e-bay.
artimus gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #58

The eBay ones don't ship from USA. Just a heads up. I'm still waiting. :(. And I paid MORE than they are at hobbypartz etc. :(
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Funny, mine does not always go into reverse...I'll have to try the firmware update. ESC is nice and smooth, but agree that the motor is weak. Torque seems fine, just doesn't have any wheelspeed on 2s. Just ordered a revolver to beef it up a bit.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

The motor definitely isn't what you would consider "crawler" grade. I have my 35A ESC matched with a Revolver Black in my custom comp crawler (The Mirage...) and it is a great combo with an ABUNDANCE of torque.

Doing a quick Google search for "Hobbywing 2-in-1", I found this site which appears to be in the US that seems to have these in stock.

Hobbywing Advanced 2 In 1 Professional LCD Program Box - Toysonics.com