Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hobby Wing EZRUN crawler system

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Hobby Wing EZRUN crawler system

Some feedback on the Hobbywing EZRUN 35A Crawler System ( http://www.hobbypartz.com/35a-brushl...-1-10-car.html ), after some play time.

Technicals: Axial AX-10 ARTR, HT steering servo, Traxxas Link receiver, front battery servo plate, 1300mah 35C 3S battery, stock body, weighted wheels.

YES, as some of you have pointed out, in other threads, the drag brake is not the best. I can live with that; I do not comp. Aside from a week drag brake, the unit performs very well. The ESC cooling fan is not needed as the motor never taxes the ESC - even on 3S. That said, even though the motor is not a true 540 (a 380 core I believe), it has plenty of power and cogging is basically non-existant. the only time I saw any cogging at tall was a momentary shudder at just off neutral throttle on a steep incline. That was it.
Power? Plenty on both 2S and 3S. In fact, it was enough to spin a hex in a wheel when I got it in a bind.
Overall, it seems to be a good, inexpensive system. It is not a comp system because of the drag brake issues. However, it is a good upgrade from a brushed system for those of us that only "play" with our RCs. Last time I checked, there are no points deduction for using reverse or back-sliding when you are just out for fun.
02tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #2

How much do those run and where did you get it?

Chad
peebles24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tac View Post
Some feedback on the Hobbywing EZRUN 35A Crawler System ( http://www.hobbypartz.com/35a-brushless-esc-for-1-10-car.html ), after some play time.

Technicals: Axial AX-10 ARTR, HT steering servo, Traxxas Link receiver, front battery servo plate, 1300mah 35C 3S battery, stock body, weighted wheels.

YES, as some of you have pointed out, in other threads, the drag brake is not the best. I can live with that; I do not comp. Aside from a week drag brake, the unit performs very well. The ESC cooling fan is not needed as the motor never taxes the ESC - even on 3S. That said, even though the motor is not a true 540 (a 380 core I believe), it has plenty of power and cogging is basically non-existant. the only time I saw any cogging at tall was a momentary shudder at just off neutral throttle on a steep incline. That was it.
Power? Plenty on both 2S and 3S. In fact, it was enough to spin a hex in a wheel when I got it in a bind.
Overall, it seems to be a good, inexpensive system. It is not a comp system because of the drag brake issues. However, it is a good upgrade from a brushed system for those of us that only "play" with our RCs. Last time I checked, there are no points deduction for using reverse or back-sliding when you are just out for fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebles24 View Post
How much do those run and where did you get it?

Chad
My guess would be the LINK he posted.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #4

good call I completely spaced that sorry

60.00 bucks that is definatley worth a try

Last edited by peebles24; 06-07-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
good call I completely spaced that sorry
No sweat.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #6

It's a shame that system isn't sensored. Don't most crawlers use sensored for the precision.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
It's a shame that system isn't sensored. Don't most crawlers use sensored for the precision.
Higher end systems probably do. Honestly though, the amount of cogging is so minimal as to be hardly worth mentioning. On very steep uphills, on occasion, there is a very small bit of shudder, just as you initiate throttle, but none what so ever when the wheels are actually turning.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #8

It would probably be a great system for what I am wanting to do, so I will probably end up with one. I usually try to buy anything I buy new from the LHS but that is 100 plus dollars difference.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have a couple of these.

My opinions are:

The included motor is not that great. It cogs badly. It doesn't have the torque curve you'd want in a scaler, IMHO. I haven't tried on 3S, but on 2S it's too slow for wheelspeed, and not enough torque to pull tall gearing in a crawling situation. It only has a 380 size core.

The ESC is fantastic. It's tiny, light and has a plenitude of programming parameters with the hand held unit. With 900 to 1000 Kv outrunner on 3S it performs like a champ. Really powerful hold brakes and no sign of chunking.
However, the inbuilt BEC is not much chop, and on 3S it drops to an amp or less. But, as they say, YOU NEED A BEC regardless.
The stock fan can't go beyond 7.4v, so you need to ditch it for 3S, but in my pretty serious Compscaler or my Sportsman 2.2 with a 980kv outie, heat was not an issue.
Badmuthatrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmuthatrucker View Post
I have a couple of these.

My opinions are:

The included motor is not that great. It cogs badly. It doesn't have the torque curve you'd want in a scaler, IMHO. I haven't tried on 3S, but on 2S it's too slow for wheelspeed, and not enough torque to pull tall gearing in a crawling situation. It only has a 380 size core.

The ESC is fantastic. It's tiny, light and has a plenitude of programming parameters with the hand held unit. With 900 to 1000 Kv outrunner on 3S it performs like a champ. Really powerful hold brakes and no sign of chunking.
However, the inbuilt BEC is not much chop, and on 3S it drops to an amp or less. But, as they say, YOU NEED A BEC regardless.
The stock fan can't go beyond 7.4v, so you need to ditch it for 3S, but in my pretty serious Compscaler or my Sportsman 2.2 with a 980kv outie, heat was not an issue.
So what motor do you recommend with it on 2s?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I use one im my AX10 as well, so far for what I paid, love it.

Used with a 7 cell hump pack in mud it went pretty good, since im new ish to the game.

I do have some lipo batts now but my charger wont balance 2s although it will for 3s but my batts I have in hand are 2s. I'm forced to use my nicd till my balance board gets here, but the quick spurt I ran the 2s for I was loving it.

Can't wait for the balance board to get herefrom HK, and my CKRC order for my spare rims and outdrives/trans gears, to go for a rip on 3s.
Caustic101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I buy new from the LHS but that is 100 plus dollars difference.
Same here, but for things like this and LiPo batteries, I just cannot justify the cost difference. For example, a 20C, 5000mah, 2S, hardcase pack (for my Stampede 4x4) would be around $100 through my LHS. I get them from Hobbyking for $19.95 each. For bashing, they are ever bit as good as the $100 packs.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Same here, but for things like this and LiPo batteries, I just cannot justify the cost difference. For example, a 20C, 5000mah, 2S, hardcase pack (for my Stampede 4x4) would be around $100 through my LHS. I get them from Hobbyking for $19.95 each. For bashing, they are ever bit as good as the $100 packs.
I am pretty good friends with the guy that runs the LHS and he told me to buy ebay batteries because he can't touch the price. The thing that upsets him is when people don't give him a chance to match the price.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
So what motor do you recommend with it on 2s?
At this point, I haven't tried one I would recommend.

I have a little Emax brand 890kv outrunner I used to use on 2S in a scaler. Slow as a wet week, but it still torqued hard.

Most of the low kv outrunners are rated as 2~3S, I just find they come more alive on 3S. Personal preference. If you wanted real scale speed, it'd probably be fine.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:14 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I've run these esc's in all my rigs at one stage or another. As BTM said an outrunner is a better option than the stock motor. If you keep the Kv low (i always ran under 1200kv) they have minimal cogging and wicked torque.

Another guy on here tried the other way with a high Kv motor and geared it way low. It got around the cogging as the motor was always up in RPM and the gearing kept the overall vehicle speed low & the at the wheel torque high.

But as Mr Holmes says 'Volt up, Gear down'. Its best piece of advise for these set ups.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:43 AM   #16

So where do you find these low KV outrunner motors, and do they mount just like a 540 can motor or is there some fabrication involved. Sorry I know what I race with and some of the old stuff but not much else.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:02 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Some feedback on the Hobbywing EZRUN 35A Crawler System ( http://www.hobbypartz.com/35a-brushl...-1-10-car.html ), after some play time.

I've been running this combo in my SCX10 Honcho with 87/14 gearing for about 2 months now(using a Dualsky 1700MaH 30c 2s lipos).It moves along at a decent pace and has enough torque to get over most obstacles.The drag brake seems to work fine and I will be getting another one to use in my AX10 Scorpion ARTR.
jethro,
Australia.
ausjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:06 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
So where do you find these low KV outrunner motors, and do they mount just like a 540 can motor or is there some fabrication involved. Sorry I know what I race with and some of the old stuff but not much else.
These outrunners are intended for airplanes, and they are common in hobby shops. Also, you can get them dirt cheap out of Hong Kong from Hobbyking. Just check the shaft size. 3.2mm (1/8", or standard 540) are rare, most little ones are 3mm and the bigguns are 5mm. 3mm can be shimmed up to a normal pinion with a layer or two of aluminium foil from the kitchen.

You need to do two things to mount them to a car:

1. Get the Holmes Hobbies outrunner adapter plate. All of about $5 I think.

2. Reverse the shaft of the motor. Since cars are a lot different in the drive line to a plane you need the shaft to stick out the other end, compared to standard. Easy done. Every outrunner I have had are designed to be reversed, with the extra e clip grooves cut on the shaft, etc.

All you do is: Remove the e clip holding the "back" of the motor on, and extract that part off the shaft. Go to the "front", loosen the grub screw holding the motor can to the shaft, and press/tap the shaft through until it is flush with the can, tighten the grub screw again. Then, slip the motor back on to the shaft (now the front) and clip the e clip back on. Done.

Here are some picks, for your info.

In a Creeper:

In a chassis for a Tamiya Jeep:

And in a regular size scale chassis for reference.

They have so much pure ball in such a tiny and light package.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I've got the EZrun crawler system in my SCX10 also. With a 1500mah 3s lipo it does pretty good. It doesnt have very good brake tho. I'm running the pro10 stamped steel 1.9 beadlocks with rc4wd Interco Iroks and the wheel speed isnt very fast. It does good for what it is, but I don't have the programmer box so that may change a few things on it.
Ernie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I have one of these systems brand new in the box and I have been wondering how it is going to work for me. Seems that everyone is getting decent results from it on 2C and 3C lipo, but has anyone run it on regular run of the mill stick packs ?
I don't have any lipo gear at all, so would this thing be worth the jumpstart into lipohood... Or should I just go pick up another rooster ?
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote