Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: BEC between tekin FXR and servo on 3cell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default BEC between tekin FXR and servo on 3cell

Forgive me if this is a dumb one.... Do I need to wire up a BEC between my Tekin FX-R and my mg645 servo while running a 3cell 2200MAH 30c lipo>?
Elliott000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

This should help: Yes you need an external bec
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Do you need one? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott000 View Post
Forgive me if this is a dumb one.... Do I need to wire up a BEC between my Tekin FX-R and my mg645 servo while running a 3cell 2200MAH 30c lipo>?
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
Do you need one? No.
Actually he does need one, if he was using 2s and not 3s he wouldn't but since he said 3s he does need a bec
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the direction guys
Elliott
Elliott000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Just read up on it and didn't realize how poorly the FXR handled 3S. Glad I have a BRXL. No BEC needed on 3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
Actually he does need one, if he was using 2s and not 3s he wouldn't but since he said 3s he does need a bec
Old 08-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Just read up on it and didn't realize how poorly the FXR handled 3S. Glad I have a BRXL. No BEC needed on 3S
I run 1250 3s on my fxr no problems here I also run a cc bec to my hitec 7950 I love My FXR!
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
The fxr doesn't handle poorly..... That's just stupid to think that. The only reason the brxl doesn't need a bec is because holmes made it specifically for crawling. The fxr wasn't, alot just tend to use it for it's size and how much voltage it can handle
Old 08-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

If it has a built in BEC and it can handle 3S, neither of which are specific to crawling, then it should be able to do both simultaneously unless the limitation is stated by the manufacturer. If it can't, then it's a poor product design, but that's not to say it's a bad product.

Quote:
The fxr doesn't handle poorly..... That's just stupid to think that. The only reason the brxl doesn't need a bec is because holmes made it specifically for crawling. The fxr wasn't, alot just tend to use it for it's size and how much voltage it can handle
Old 08-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
If it has a built in BEC and it can handle 3S, neither of which are specific to crawling, then it should be able to do both simultaneously unless the limitation is stated by the manufacturer. If it can't, then it's a poor product design, but that's not to say it's a bad product.
Dude the fxr is a great product and you know what I like having 7.4v from my cc bec straight to my servo...... the fxr has a great brake hold and is totaly programable and the design is just fine it doesnt need to be built in. question have you ever ran a fxr? run one and see just how it works
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #11
RCC Addict

There's nothing wrong with running a FXR without an external BEC as long as you are satisfied with 6V and 3A output to the servo at 2S. Go to a 3S and the amps drop a bit so if the servo is very power hungry it may brown out the system, very possible with the enormous power outputs of these monster servos.

An external BEC like the CC allows you to adjust the voltage going to the servo so you can feed it the 7.4V you want and maintain 3 to 5 amps. Also using an external BEC helps keep the ESC cooler since it is no longer supplying current to the servo.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Never said is wasn't a good product. I just don't like when manufacturers of any product advertise one thing and deliver another and that is why I run a BRXL. Almost the same price with more upside, unless you need a smaller ESC. And I do understand that some rigs still need a BEC, even with a BRXL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo303d View Post
Dude the fxr is a great product and you know what I like having 7.4v from my cc bec straight to my servo...... the fxr has a great brake hold and is totaly programable and the design is just fine it doesnt need to be built in. question have you ever ran a fxr? run one and see just how it works
Old 08-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Never said is wasn't a good product. I just don't like when manufacturers of any product advertise one thing and deliver another and that is why I run a BRXL. Almost the same price with more upside, unless you need a smaller ESC. And I do understand that some rigs still need a BEC, even with a BRXL.
The FXR has been around a while, it was great for the original use that used lower amp load servos.
Then the crawler guys showed up and wanted a ton more steering torque, this put it outside what the FXR was designed for.
Why not chastize the crawler guys for using a ESC outside of what it was designed for??

PS, I never had a need for an external BEC until I started crawling.....
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

According to Tekin, the FXR is currently designed for crawlers:

The FX-R reversing speed controller leads the industry in pure rock crawling performance. With its tiny footprint, improved drag brake resolution with lock-down holding power, adjustable reverse type with reverse delay, no reverse or instant reverse, ultra smooth low speed creep and precision throttle and braking response, the FX-R easily gives you the edge over the competition.

There is just a lot of mis-information that gets thrown around this forum, BEC, brushless and aluminum parts being some of the biggest culprits. A lot of suggestions come from people who comp and those over-equip their rigs in some cases. With 50k members, that is going to happen though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
The FXR has been around a while, it was great for the original use that used lower amp load servos.
Then the crawler guys showed up and wanted a ton more steering torque, this put it outside what the FXR was designed for.
Why not chastize the crawler guys for using a ESC outside of what it was designed for??

PS, I never had a need for an external BEC until I started crawling.....
Old 08-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #15
MODERATOR™

The FXR was originally designed as a RTR vehicle ESC replacement. As far as I know the only difference from that design is in the software, and that was more or less an afterthought.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
According to Tekin, the FXR is currently designed for crawlers:....
The FXR was released over 3.5 years ago.... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPNV6&P=ML , Tower Hobbies has had it almost 4 years, that is ages in electronics. I haven't found a reference to when it was actually released, a RC mag article would help. Tekins site has no real info on release date.
The only major change in the ESC is firmware to address shortcomings identified as time went on as far as I know or can link.
There were very few standard sized hi-torque servos back then as well, those that were around cost a ton of money. They are still a bit pricey, but not as bad.
Crawlers were still very new back then, things change over time. If they didn't, everyone would still think Clods running Mashers were great.

Remember, this whole part of the thread is "why did Tekin release a ESC with a crappy BEC"....just saying......
Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I was using an FX in my TC in 2006 when chassis started to become very narrow. So they have been around but unlike others you were able to upgrade the firmware via the Hotlink. I'm still using it after five years and two firware upgrades but not in a crawler (no reverse).

Now remember that Tekin does advertise that it is Crawler friendly WITH a 35 turn or higher motor on 3S. Used with a 55 turn motor you can power that 333oz/in Hitec without a BEC at 6V.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I ran BECs on my crawlers with the FXR. Why? It took the load off the ESC and it ran cooler, which translates into the ESC lasting longer. As said above, the FXR was originally designed for brushed offroad and onroad cars, sportsman stuff and it was great for that. Then this awesome guy named Kaetwo stumbled upon it and well, here we are now. We made significant changes to the firmware to accomodate the crawler market and we made the changes with feedback coming from top level drivers. We knew the BEC wasn't the best for crawling, but putting in a switching BEC makes the ESC bigger. One of the great things about this controller is its super small size, mount it wherever you want.

We make electronics. The FXR is almost 4 years old. The crawler market has exploded in size. Think about it.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Charlie-lll and Ty@tekin, very well said.

Slaughter- next time you might want to use some sense as to age of a product and knowing this hobby is different from others, read up next time because its pretty stupid to bash a product that's been around so kong and worked so well
Old 08-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Wink

Quote:
Charlie-lll and Ty@tekin, very well said.

Slaughter- next time you might want to use some sense as to the age of a product and knowing this hobby is different from others. Read up next time because its pretty stupid to bash a product that's been around so long and worked so well

Not trying to bash anyone, just trying to make sure "Internet mis-information" does not get spread around.