Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Futaba 4PL and Axial Night Vision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Futaba 4PL and Axial Night Vision

Has anyone tried this combination?

Seems like the 4PL is incompatible with several LED systems so I was just wondering if it works with the Axial Night Vision (not the simple LED lights, I can make my own constant on lights for 1/4 the price).
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I have a 4pl on the Axial Nvs system if that is what you mean. I ran into problems with it at first. But found using a CCBec fixed the problem. I think those system draw quite a bit of power for some reason. But without it, it would brown out by turning the wheel back and forth on flat ground about a half dozen times, shut my MMP down.
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPain View Post
I have a 4pl on the Axial Nvs system if that is what you mean. I ran into problems with it at first. But found using a CCBec fixed the problem. I think those system draw quite a bit of power for some reason. But without it, it would brown out by turning the wheel back and forth on flat ground about a half dozen times, shut my MMP down.
So you're saying tat the Nvs draws so much current that it browns out the receiver?

If that's true then forget it, I don't need another power hungry piece of equipment on a scaler.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The system is designed to plug directly into your battery and not get power from the ESC. I think its 9volt max. So I ran a BEC because I use 3s.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I made my lighting systems stand alone so no drain on the main batterie, i used two micro swithes NO/NC on my third channel acatuated by a servo. But there is no hobby shops fo thousands of miles so i end up making what i cant wait for.
theyukonzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
If that's true then forget it, I don't need another power hungry piece of equipment on a scaler.
I use this setup on my Wraith:
TowerHobbies.com | AX24257 Axial LED Controller w/Lights
And I run the Heyok remote switch:
Remote Switch For LED Lighting

If you can make your own LED harness, then just adding the Heyok switch will be a nice touch.

This system is simple and I like the remote switch. I dont notice any extra drain from the battery.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I use this setup on my Wraith:
TowerHobbies.com | AX24257 Axial LED Controller w/Lights
And I run the Heyok remote switch:
Remote Switch For LED Lighting

If you can make your own LED harness, then just adding the Heyok switch will be a nice touch.

This system is simple and I like the remote switch. I dont notice any extra drain from the battery.
Thanks for the link but as I said in my post I can make one of these for about $8 which will plug into the receiver for power.

So the Axial Nvs plugs into the battery line like the Tamiya's, then I'm not intersested.

I solved my problem by not using the PL and until I find a LED control board that works with the PL's signal processing I will use my Spektrum module in my 3PKS.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I use the 3racing light kit on my scaler with a 4pl. Blinkers reverse lights, headlights get brighter when driving etc. I like the light controller that heyok(sp?) here makes though and may end up switching to that instead.
nstn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well ever since I put the NVS system on, I must have lights on my rigs. I also bought a different lighting set from a vender on here, $12 and they work great. Plugs into the ESC. Im not sure what you mean the 4PL has signal issues. I dont have a problem on my 3 cars my 4PL controls.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPain View Post
Well ever since I put the NVS system on, I must have lights on my rigs. I also bought a different lighting set from a vender on here, $12 and they work great. Plugs into the ESC. Im not sure what you mean the 4PL has signal issues. I dont have a problem on my 3 cars my 4PL controls.

Signal issues being that all three light systems are unable to recognize right and left turn, forward or reverse.

Again this is with the RC4WD's scale light system, Thunder Tiger's AceRC system and a generic made in China one. This is why I asked if the Axial NVS works with the PL.

I wasn't looking for a diagnosis or fix, just if the Axial NVS works with the PL. I don't feel like dropping $80 if it doesn't work.

Last edited by AreCee; 12-04-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Default Re: Futaba 4PL and Axial Night Vision

I got the NVS and it does work with the Futaba 4PL S-FHSS.

Now my issue is that the wires Axial uses are either too short or too long. In order to string the turn indicators the wire is stretched out from where it branches for the front and back of the vehicle. I may have to splice in some 20ga to relieve the strain.

The leads to the receiver are too long and have to be bundled up to keep them out of the way. The leads to the servo and ESC are non-existant, you need to get aileron extensions to reach the control box.

But it does work with the 4PL. I guess nothing is perfect.