Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Soldering gone awry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Soldering gone awry.

Well I let one of the guys from Hobby Town solder my leads for my new Tekin FXR and 35T motor together since I'm not good with soldering so i would let the experts do it and when I got home, installed the motor and I realised I had sporadic forward throttle but I got reverse and everything else worked, so I have been tinkering with it and realised that the wires for the motor positive terminal was wired to the negative terminal on the ESC and vice versa for the other wire, but the battery terminals are soldered in right. I was wondering would this mess up screw up my ESC?
arctichorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Soldering gone awry.

think it would just make your motor run backwards if it was hooked up wrong (opposite of what you have)

do you have a hot wire for that ESC?? is it programmed?? did you sync it to your radio after you installed it???
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
think it would just make your motor run backwards if it was hooked up wrong (opposite of what you have)

do you have a hot wire for that ESC?? is it programmed?? did you sync it to your radio after you installed it???
I tried syncing the ESC to the receiver/radio and it would acknowledge neutral but would not recognize forward throttle at all, the part that is confusing me is that even when I can't get it to sync to the receiver/radio it still works, reverse is reverse, brake is brake, forward is forward when it decides to work.

I even tried a newer receiver and I had the same problem persist.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

ok, lets get this figured out...what radio do you have?? are all the trims set at 0 and epa's at 100%. When you pull the throttle does it go forward (when it wants to) then push the throttle it goes in reverse? Are all batteries fully charged? You didn't responde to the question of the hot link??

post a pic of your motor with wires soldered on.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like you need to:
  1. Reverse the throttle channel on your radio
  2. Reverse the wires on the motor or rotate the end bell on the motor 180 degrees

I bet the hotwire isnt recognizing full throttle because it wants what you radio is calling reverse.

Also the cutting out may be a couple things, can you describe it better? I'm thinking that you have it on a delayed reverse setting so you have to pull the trigger twice to go forward since if I am right your radio thinks forward is reverse...

Last edited by SMR 510RR; 01-13-2012 at 09:13 PM.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
ok, lets get this figured out...what radio do you have?? are all the trims set at 0 and epa's at 100%. When you pull the throttle does it go forward (when it wants to) then push the throttle it goes in reverse? Are all batteries fully charged? You didn't respond to the question of the hot link??

post a pic of your motor with wires soldered on.
This is by far the most peculiar system I have used so far, I'll explain down below. I'm using a Traxxas TQ 2.4Ghz radio, yup the battery is charged, yes all trims are set to zero and about the hot link my local Hobby town guy that helps me out with my RC's said he will bring his laptop and hotlink for me to configure it with (my bad I did not answer earlier). I called Tekin today since I found a phone number because my local hobby shop guy said too get a new radio but I'm short on money so I wanted to know the parameters on how much I could get out of my radio, when I called, the Tekin customer service guy said that radio is fine, just a lot of people get reversed radio signals, but in my case my wires were on backwards, and earlier I took it to Hobby Town and my local hobby town guy reversed the leads to the right terminals so now my reverse has the one second delay.

What I found out (what he said) was that I have to wait one full second before engaging reverse because the ESC waits for the neutral signal before allowing it to accept reverse hence why when I go from forward to reverse immediately I end up pulling the trigger a few times (vice versa when I had my terminal leads on backwards), and he also said that it prevents the motor to mess up the transmission since going immediately from forward to reverse puts some strain on the transmission, that's what the Tekin guy said, so I applied what he said and now it works. I am baffled but it works.

I'm now wondering if the Hot wire link will fix this, or what I mean is by improve the time so I'm not waiting a full second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Sounds like you need to:
  1. Reverse the throttle channel on your radio
  2. Reverse the wires on the motor or rotate the end bell on the motor 180 degrees
I bet the hotwire isnt recognizing full throttle because it wants what you radio is calling reverse.

Also the cutting out may be a couple things, can you describe it better? I'm thinking that you have it on a delayed reverse setting so you have to pull the trigger twice to go forward since if I am right your radio thinks forward is reverse...
1. Yup, I did the reverse radio channel set up, but now that the terminals are on backwards it's reverse that gets the delay.

2. I will definitely try this out now at some point if the hot link does not fix it, interesting. I thought when you had to solder, the wires had to be in line with the brushes.

Hey, thanks guys for some input, I know have some ideas to implement in the future.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

glad you got it working...canned answer for a shop to tell you that a new radio is in order.....doubtful if its a 2.4..FM, AM yes....sometimes

anyway, glad it sorted out.

btw, all my Castle ESC's have a delay in reverse..going in full forward then jam it in reverse...it goes in reverse, but after the motor comes to a complete stop...yes, to save tranny.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Here is the manual for the FXR if you dont have a copy:
http://www.teamtekin.com/manuals/FXManual.pdf

First page lower right tells you how to eliminate the reverse delay, you want the second option "forward to immediate reverse".

Turning the endbell of the motor 180 degrees is like soldering the wires to the opposite posts and will reverse motor direction.

Last edited by SMR 510RR; 01-13-2012 at 11:26 PM.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Here is the manual for the FXR if you dont have a copy:
http://www.teamtekin.com/manuals/FXManual.pdf

First page lower right tells you how to eliminate the reverse delay, you want the second option "forward to immediate reverse".

Turning the endbell of the motor 180 degrees is like soldering the wires to the opposite posts and will reverse motor direction.
Yes, if you want to disable the reverse delay (which, as far as I know, you always do with a crawler) on the FXR (via HotWire) you must select the setting that shows as "F/R". Then you will be able to go from full forward to full reverse immediately (be careful not to smoke your drive gears, especially if driving on carpet). Good luck.
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyStyle View Post
Yes, if you want to disable the reverse delay (which, as far as I know, you always do with a crawler)
maybe he has a scaler or a FOFF

Soldering gone awry. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soldering landozer18 Newbie General 16 02-03-2011 01:15 AM
Burning through soldering tips? And other soldering questions losikid Electronics 14 12-16-2010 10:04 AM
need help soldering.......... bob1961 Tools, and Procedures 9 11-27-2008 08:56 AM
What soldering iron for battery soldering? Flatty Electronics 1 06-23-2008 07:35 AM
Soldering Help Please!!! tjscrogins99 Tools, and Procedures 2 12-06-2007 07:32 PM