Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Find me a charger! 100 bucks or less, 20 amp charging rate- power supply included

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Find me a charger! 100 bucks or less, 20 amp charging rate- power supply included

No, don't go out of your way, but if you know of a good charger that fits that description, please post it up. I currently have a Thunder T610 that I purchased *ahem* under the influence, and have discovered upon receiving it that it doesn't include a power supply and it only charges at a max of 10 amps. I'd like to be able to charge 5-6000mah packs at 2-3C.

EDIT: I could live with an external supply, I just don't want to spend much more than 100 bucks on one to get the job done. I don't fancy the idea of spending an hour and a half waiting for packs to charge.

Last edited by Zeus.:God; 01-14-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Find me a charger! 100 bucks or less, 20 amp charging rate- power supply included

search a little bit around here...and might find something
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Find me a charger! 100 bucks or less, 20 amp charging rate- power supply included

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
search a little bit around here...and might find something
I have, and I haven't found much of anything; some talk about chargers that won't do what I'm looking for, and that's about it. But since you say it like you know there is something, why not post the link (kinda' the reason I made the thread)? I always search first.

EDIT:

Better yet, can you answer me this? I have a 5300mah battery, and I'd *like* to charge it at 2C- obviously I can't do that with my current charger, as I would be .6a off. Would I be OK to charge it at 10a rather than 10.6a? Does the charging rate have to be exactly 1, 2, 3x the mah or can I pretty much charge at whatever amperage I like, no worries?

Last edited by Zeus.:God; 01-14-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You should have no problem maxing out your charger at 10A. It doesn't need to be and exact C number. This would be more like 1.9C (for your 5300mah battery) and would get the job done in 32 minutes instead of 30 minutes. Just make sure your battery is rated to be charged at that high of a rate (some are limited to 1C, other can be higher).

Last edited by wantAsummit; 01-14-2012 at 12:54 PM.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

The battery is a Gens Ace 2S 5300mah and I read that they're rated up to 5C (a bit generous in my opinion). I've read about people charging these at ~15-20 amps so I figured 2C should be fine. And are you sure it doesn't need to be an exact C number? I'd like to know for sure before I bother buying the power supply for this charger (kinda' giving up on buying another one- not wise with the budget).
Old 01-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

You know i would suggest some charges but tbh with a title like this im suprised anyone would help. If you want help dont demand it in the title. Just my opinion so Gl to you.
2006Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

^^^^^^^^^^ reason why I requested the search
Old 01-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Shelby View Post
You know i would suggest some charges but tbh with a title like this im suprised anyone would help. If you want help dont demand it in the title. Just my opinion so Gl to you.
Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^ reason why I requested the search
I was considering editing out my sarcasm afterward (because by nature of the subject, you would essentially be finding me a charger), but I figured people would realize I'm not actually "demanding" anything- especially when I mentioned not to go out of your way, but just recommend what you knew off the top of your head. So, I would suggest you guys not be so uptight about the title of the thread.

Do either of you have worthwhile suggestions or are we going to focus on something other than the subject at hand?
Old 01-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

profsrkos2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Old 01-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
Got Worms?

Hobbypartz sells a 25 amp power supply.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantAsummit View Post
You should have no problem maxing out your charger at 10A. It doesn't need to be and exact C number. This would be more like 1.9C (for your 5300mah battery) and would get the job done in 32 minutes instead of 30 minutes. Just make sure your battery is rated to be charged at that high of a rate (some are limited to 1C, other can be higher).
+1, you can charge at ANY "C" rate, but, if you go too high you at least shorten the life of the pack.

For most packs, charging at "1C" means the pack is fully charged in 1 hour. If you are balancing, it may take a lot longer (depends on your pack).

I didn't answer your 1st post based on the perceived "demand" in the thread title. Rather than flame, I decided to wait to see what transpired later in the thread.

Just saying.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
RCC Addict

here is your cheap power supply option, Modding a PC Power Supply into a 12 Volt Supply for your DC charger
I just did this with a power supply I got for free that has 22amps on the 12v rail. These can be had out of an old pc that usually get left at the dump or recyclers for free.

This should get you right in the ball park of what you want in a charger
http://www.hobbypartz.com/75p-1220-charger.html

Now, I demand a thank you
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus.:God View Post
Do either of you have worthwhile suggestions or are we going to focus on something other than the subject at hand?
yes I do.... got to me though...so good luck. hope you find a charger and don't blow up your batteries.

AAANNNNDDD I had the similar question a long time ago, I just did my own searches, then asked the question if these were worth a crap, listed my findings....did I say ask....I did....

soo again, best wishes to you
Old 01-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
yes I do.... got to me though...so good luck. hope you find a charger and don't blow up your batteries.

AAANNNNDDD I had the similar question a long time ago, I just did my own searches, then asked the question if these were worth a crap, listed my findings....did I say ask....I did....

soo again, best wishes to you
Again, already looked around- haven't found anything with an internal power supply and the charge rate I'm interested in. I've found a couple sans power supply such as the Thunder 1220 that Kurtus suggested. But for that price (which is admittedly good compared to the competition), without a power supply from a company I've never really heard of, 90 bucks is a bit of a leap when I'm trying to budget myself.

Which is why I came here and asked. If someone KNOWS of a good charger, that means they've probably owned or used it, or at least heard good things about it. Public opinion is what I'm searching for now, and this subject isn't exactly well documented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
+1, you can charge at ANY "C" rate, but, if you go too high you at least shorten the life of the pack.

For most packs, charging at "1C" means the pack is fully charged in 1 hour. If you are balancing, it may take a lot longer (depends on your pack).

I didn't answer your 1st post based on the perceived "demand" in the thread title. Rather than flame, I decided to wait to see what transpired later in the thread.

Just saying.
Thanks for the reassurance. The charger I have will get me by for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtus420 View Post
here is your cheap power supply option, Modding a PC Power Supply into a 12 Volt Supply for your DC charger
I just did this with a power supply I got for free that has 22amps on the 12v rail. These can be had out of an old pc that usually get left at the dump or recyclers for free.

This should get you right in the ball park of what you want in a charger
Thunder 1220 Professional Multifunction 12S Lipo Battery Balance Charger

Now, I demand a thank you
The PSU mod is something I already came across, and would be a viable solution for me provided I weren't using all the PSU's I own and I had a soldering iron. I've always butchered soldering jobs anyway, so lack of practice is another issue...

But thank you, for actually sticking to the topic. Appreciated.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #16
Got Worms?

Quote:
Again, already looked around- haven't found anything with an internal power supply and the charge rate I'm interested in.
What makes you think you'll find an AC/DC charger that can handle 20 amps? Its hard enough to find a DC only charger for 20 amps...

I honestly would never, ever attempt to pump anywhere close to that much juice into a a battery while charging in or near my house
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
What makes you think you'll find an AC/DC charger that can handle 20 amps? Its hard enough to find a DC only charger for 20 amps...

I honestly would never, ever attempt to pump anywhere close to that much juice into a a battery while charging in or near my house
Why wouldn't I? I haven't been in the hobby for a while until recently (especially electric), and haven't bothered looking into Lipos or any other kind of batteries/chargers for my SCX10 until the past couple weeks. Until now, most every battery charger I've used or seen, aside from those for the racers, have included a power supply- plug it into your wall or connect a car battery and charge. So forgive my ignorance if high amperage chargers are few and far between, let alone power supplies. Lipos are a very different animal from the days of NiCd and NiMH and there's currently a lot more complexity involved with them as compared to plugging it in and hitting the charge button. Its all about compatibility and balancing and amperage and voltage and cut-offs and blah blah blah.

As for the high charge rate, as I understood it, my battery is advertised as being capable of 5C charge rates and that they had to be charged exactly. 1C = roughly 1 hour 30 minutes at 5.3a, 2C = about, if not a little more than, half that at 11.6a. My thought was to charge it at 2-3C so that my charge times do not exceed run time, which would require 11.6a or 15.9a, and I've read about people charging as high as 20 amps on various batteries without issues. I have a firebag and a safe place in which to do my initial charges, but it looks like i won't be going to such "extremes" as I was initially planning, so I'm not too worried (as if I were in the first place).

Last edited by Zeus.:God; 01-15-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:32 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Other than balancing (and getting the currect balance plugs) LiPO is really not much different that NiCD & NiMH.

-You don't want to over discharge
-You don't want to overcharge
-You shouldn't just "walk away" from packs while on charge
-Be mindful of where you're charging, "just in case"
-Don't short the batteries
-When charging, you can do high charge rates, but the packs last longer with low charge rates
-While we may not have called it "1C", that is what a lot of us did
-Unless you were using a "timer charger" (ewwww......) we had peak detecting chargers, adjustable for cell count & amps, etc

While I can understand not wanting to wait for packs, I just have multiple packs, charge the day before & top off just before use.

Good luck in your search.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Other than balancing (and getting the currect balance plugs) LiPO is really not much different that NiCD & NiMH.

-You don't want to over discharge
-You don't want to overcharge
-You shouldn't just "walk away" from packs while on charge
-Be mindful of where you're charging, "just in case"
-Don't short the batteries
-When charging, you can do high charge rates, but the packs last longer with low charge rates
-While we may not have called it "1C", that is what a lot of us did
-Unless you were using a "timer charger" (ewwww......) we had peak detecting chargers, adjustable for cell count & amps, etc

While I can understand not wanting to wait for packs, I just have multiple packs, charge the day before & top off just before use.

Good luck in your search.
It is when my only concerns were NiCd or NiMH and capacity. I did used to run a timer charger, but that's from way back when I was running my Kyosho Outlaw Raider. After that it was peak chargers with a single button and cell count selector switch.

I only have one pack right now, considering purchasing another to charge while I'm running, but with all of my hobbies, work, and girlfriend, I'm not going to be planning ahead, it'll be as the opportunity arises.

Anyway, I suppose this thread has served it's purpose. I've already purchased a power supply for the charger I have. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It is when my only concerns were NiCd or NiMH and capacity. I did used to run a timer charger, but that's from way back when I was running my Kyosho Outlaw Raider. After that it was peak chargers with a single button and cell count selector switch.

I only have one pack right now, considering purchasing another to charge while I'm running, but with all of my hobbies, work, and girlfriend, I'm not going to be planning ahead, it'll be as the opportunity arises.

Anyway, I suppose this thread has served it's purpose. I've already purchased a power supply for the charger I have. Thanks for the advice.
I understand, I work (some is business travel) wife, kids (one also crawls), hobbies, working on our cars & house, etc.........

You could always leave most of a charge in a pack so the time to top it off is short.
Having 2 packs at a minimum is good in case one decides to die, you're not left "dead in the rocks" as it were.

Good luck.

PS, what did you end up getting?

Find me a charger! 100 bucks or less, 20 amp charging rate- power supply included - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modding a PC Power Supply into a 12 Volt Supply for your DC charger TwistedXT Electronics 166 05-22-2019 07:28 PM
Using a computer power supply to power up my charger.... AYKBOBCAT Electronics 15 03-30-2005 07:41 PM