Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Venom procharger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #1

Exclamation Venom procharger

Anybody have a venom procharger? I just bought a new one and was scared to charge my new lipo because of all the horror stories I've heard. And the first thing I did was plug in battery and smoke flew alarm beepin. So I'm freakin out thinking I just roasted my new battery! Got to lookin and the polarity was backwards on the tamiya connector that came with charger. But thankfully I called venom and they sent me a new set of wires and a bunch of stickers. They said it didn't hurt anything. They said it had reverse polarity protection. But it scared the crap out of me.
bowtieuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Venom procharger

Yes, we have 2 (1 is about a year old, the other is about 9 months old).
We had no issues with the chargers themselves.

We did, however, have issues with the balance boards. One had crappy solder joints inside that shorted some pins (sparks when a pack was plugged in), the other had crappy solder joints that left pins open (the charger would not see all the cells).
I guess the average was "OK".

Venom did replace the balance boards for free.

There are less expensive chargers out there, but the AC/DC capability, all kinds of battery chemistry options & ease of use has me sold on the Venom ProCharger.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #3

I have had one for bout 5 months and it is working good so far I have charged nimh nicd and lipo and it has not let me down so far so good. It seems to be doing a good job for me
s2000ax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have one , had for long time. I've had zero issues with charger . Only problem that came recently is plugs are going bad, gotta wiggle harness to work so replaced it with a common sense all in one harness.
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #5

I just received my venom charger yesterday. The included Tamiya connector I got was also wired backwards. The charger caught the reverse polarity right when I plugged it in. I discarded that cable and just used a "squid" connector cable I had lying around. That one worked fine.

I tried to charge/discharge cycle an old NiCD battery I have just to test it out. It went through the first two cycles fine but failed on the third with a "connection break" error. I disconnected the battery and unplugged/plugged in the Venom and it seemed to charge the battery ok.

I'll have to keep an eye on it. I was really excited to get it but I'm somewhat skeptical now.
cdwilliams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I've had mine for atleast 3 years, zero problems.
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwilliams1 View Post
I just received my venom charger yesterday. The included Tamiya connector I got was also wired backwards. The charger caught the reverse polarity right when I plugged it in. I discarded that cable and just used a "squid" connector cable I had lying around. That one worked fine.

I tried to charge/discharge cycle an old NiCD battery I have just to test it out. It went through the first two cycles fine but failed on the third with a "connection break" error. I disconnected the battery and unplugged/plugged in the Venom and it seemed to charge the battery OK.

I'll have to keep an eye on it. I was really excited to get it but I'm somewhat skeptical now.
To start off, I think everyone here will suggest you ditch Tamiya connectors (wired correctly or not) and go for Deans or a similar higher grade connector. Tamiya connectors WILL give you issues down the road......

Otherwise, I think you'll be happy with the charger.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I have had mine for almost a year and works great! Never tried any of the plugs other than Deans though.
greener2732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

ive sold a load of these chargers and everyone comes back saying they love it!
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote

Venom procharger - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Venom 07Crawler Videos! 1 03-13-2010 12:53 PM
Custom Skid plate for venom and Venom DIG Unit!!! crawlercop Venom Creeper 3 01-13-2010 07:13 PM
my venom tlt freak Nebraska 5 11-25-2009 05:52 PM