Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Need Help- MMP 4PL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Need Help- MMP 4PL

Hello All,

I am having some problems with my setup. I just got 2 MMPs and I have 2 4PL radios. I hooked one up and got it to calibrate. At first it worked fine. I am running it in sensorless brushless mode, setup with a holmes revolver, 645MG, no CC BEC in an SCX-10. After about an hour of driving it would occasionally glitch and the truck would run away. It would freeze whatever input it had and continue on that path. This was usually full throttle. I would turn off the radio to stop the truck and then back on and go. This would happen a few times in say an hour of running. Today it got much worse and would do this every 1-2 minutes and finally stopped responding. The truck refused to go anymore. If it did it would not respond well and only very shortly.

Luckily I have tons of this junk laying around. I swapped between 2 MMPs and 2 4PLs and everything works fine except for one 4PL with the MMPs. Using this same receiver that wouldn't work, I put it in a revo, worked fine and an AX-10 with FX-R and it too worked fine. The green light always glows on the 4PL receiver too, which indicates a clear signal.

The settings on both radios are the exact same (endpoints, throttle zero trim/subtrim and reversed throttle channel). Both of the receiver boards are coated with liquid tape. While this may seem like the culprit, everything works fine with everything except that receiver with either MMPs.

I would be so happy to have this stuff hook up and work. I think I may give up and go old school and push the trucks around on my hands and knees like when I was 5.

Thank you for your ideas/advice!
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Need Help- MMP 4PL

Might be a bad servo. When the motherboard on a servo goes out it has a tendency to make the esc glitchy. Probably because of loopy signals/voltage going from the rx to the esc.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Need Help- MMP 4PL

Thanks for your reply punkfan,

I don't think it would be the servo because if I swap to another radio/receiver the problem goes away. I narrowed it down to one 4PL transmitter. The problem goes away with a second 4PL and any of 3 receivers. The problem returns with the first 4PL and any receiver. If I swap out MMP, the problem remains on the 'bad' 4PL. The radio works fine in other setups. I bought 2 4PL radios so I could have a friend come along and drive a truck. Looks like a waste of $200 now...

I'm not sure what to do. Even if I were to send the radio back to futaba, I doubt they would be able to do anything because it works fine in any application, except with a MMP.
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Need Help- MMP 4PL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mmp vs rs losikid Electronics 46 10-30-2011 10:36 PM
MMP, Tekin 17.5, 4PL and a wraith.... RcBro Electronics 1 09-18-2011 01:48 PM