Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: servo voltage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default servo voltage

What is a safe voltage to run to a hobbico cs 170 i am running 6v right now and was wondering if anyone has experience running more voltage to it
MaxxCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: servo voltage

lol.....good question!! I also want to know some answers
well, I run 6V on my CS-170 last year and I raised up to 6.2V this year, but I didn't feel any big differences.
rcscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I don't know that particular servo, but if it's rated for "6.0V" that means 6V nominal battery voltage. A 6V battery is close to 7V when fully charged, so up to 7V (actual feed) should be no sweat.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

going by what olle said, if it fries and you try to warrantee it, DONT tell them you had your bec set to 7v!! they will tell you to kick rocks.

this whole "6v nominal battery voltage" thing is a strange issue. do you know "for sure" that the manufacturer of the servo lists it's ratings in this manner, or do they test the servo hooked up to a power supply that supplies a constant 6v?

my thinking on this is that the manufacturer is of the mind that the servo will be hooked up to a reciever that draws it's power from an esc. now this esc has a built in bec inside it and that bec supplies the power to the reciever and servo. the output of an esc's internal bec will NOT be battery voltage. it doesn't matter if you hook up a 24v battery to your esc, the internal bec will cut the voltage down to whatever it's set at. so saying that "6v nominal is equal or close to 7v" is crap.

if you are of the mind to hook your servo up DIRECTLY to your battery, then this will come into play, but it is NOT what was designed or the way the servo is supposed to be hooked up according to manufacturers.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
going by what olle said, if it fries and you try to warrantee it, DONT tell them you had your bec set to 7v!! they will tell you to kick rocks.

this whole "6v nominal battery voltage" thing is a strange issue. do you know "for sure" that the manufacturer of the servo lists it's ratings in this manner, or do they test the servo hooked up to a power supply that supplies a constant 6v?

my thinking on this is that the manufacturer is of the mind that the servo will be hooked up to a reciever that draws it's power from an esc. now this esc has a built in bec inside it and that bec supplies the power to the reciever and servo. the output of an esc's internal bec will NOT be battery voltage. it doesn't matter if you hook up a 24v battery to your esc, the internal bec will cut the voltage down to whatever it's set at. so saying that "6v nominal is equal or close to 7v" is crap.

if you are of the mind to hook your servo up DIRECTLY to your battery, then this will come into play, but it is NOT what was designed or the way the servo is supposed to be hooked up according to manufacturers.
Wrong. Their designed to run off batteries, gas powered has no ESC. Hence the newer 7.4 volt stuff so they can run 2s without a BEC.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

i think you may be missing my point, either that or i'm not putting into words what my thoughts are.

lets say i take a 10v battery and hook up 200 feet of wire to it so i have terrible power loss due to the wiring. now i hook up my servo (say it's rated for 6v) and it works fine. should i say its "rated for 10v"? no. i'm NOT saying this is how manufacturers do things, BUT i am saying that if they list a specified voltage rating on their product and YOU exceed that rating, any malfunctions are on YOU.

i have seen people run more voltage to servo's than they are rated for and they work fine. i've also seen servo's go up in smoke doing the same thing.

here's an experiment for ya, take your servo (say it's rated at 7.4v) and up your bec output to 8.4v and run it till it burns up. now send it back for warrantee AND tell them that you had your bec set to 8.4v when it fried. let us know how they treat you.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

that servo is the same as the hitec 7955 and that can run 7.4 no problem.
pastrana#199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

What is a safe voltage to run to a hobbico cs 170

the original question.. the answer is 6v. the hitec 7955 is only rated to 6v also. maybe these servo's can handle more voltage than they are rated for, but maybe they can't. are you going to replace his servo if he takes your advice and ups the voltage to more than the rated specs? i didn't think so.

hell i've seen people run 4s batteries on esc's that are only rated to 2s. sure they worked, for a second!
Old 05-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
Wrong. Their designed to run off batteries, gas powered has no ESC. Hence the newer 7.4 volt stuff so they can run 2s without a BEC.
Exactly! Combustion powered vehicles, sailing boats, sail planes, etc. all feed their electronics straight from a battery pack.
That's what the manufacturers rely on, and the given voltages are thus the nominal battery voltage.

To make the servo "look good" they of course thest them powered off fully charged batteries rather than using voltage reduction.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I feel there is a bit of an issue here.
While Olle is correct in his examples (I fly 1:1 sailplanes), all his examples have equipment that have a listed "acceptable voltage range", while the original question relates to an input voltage of a fixed value.

Granted, I agree that some of the servo's are stating, "nominal voltage based on direct power from a Xs pack when fully charged"..........but I also agree that if it does not state "for direct battery use" the manufacturer may make an issue.

I tend to use the "nominal voltage" number whether it's from a BEC or direct from a pack.

I know I didn't answer the question, just shed a bit more light on it.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Just like anything you push the limits on you are increasing your chance of a failure. I look at it like this. If the manufacturer says 6v my guess is if you run it at 6v it should last a long time. If you bump to 7.4v your performance increased but the life of your product decreases. This is the same reason our 1:1 car engines run 200k miles and a NASCAR race engine gets one race at maybe 500 miles. Tuned to last or tuned to perform? That's the question only you can answer based on how deep your wallet is.

But as far as warranty goes, it's clear to me when the manufacturer says 6v it says 6v. If you tell them the BEC was at 7.4 they will say the failure was caused by the user.
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I have 3 rigs with cs-170's and I run them at 7.0 all on a cc-bec and with great results and no problems, In fact 1 of them has been in my bronco scaler for about 4 years and it's still going strong.

If you don't trust it then try running it at 6.5 and then go up from there and just make sure it's not getting hot. My servos get warm after a course and if I just run a battery from start to dead it gets a little warm but never to hot. Hope this helps as I don't know the limits of the servos but thats what I run mine at
JRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

The Hobbico cs-170 is not the same as the 7955. It's the same as the 5955. Hitec only recommends running the 7955 at 4.8v and 6.0v, but they do show that the 5955 can be ran at 7.4v.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrana#199 View Post
that servo is the same as the hitec 7955 and that can run 7.4 no problem.
RivBlueNoma is offline   Reply With Quote

servo voltage - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
servo voltage Mike5025 Electronics 2 05-03-2012 09:54 PM
Servo voltage Scourge18a Electronics 10 10-30-2011 01:25 PM
servo voltage romperstomper Electronics 1 03-20-2008 10:46 AM
Servo voltage thorn4run General Crawlers 1 12-19-2006 05:32 PM
RX and Servo voltage thorn4run Electronics 4 12-19-2006 11:10 AM